E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Might be the Valve cover gasket??

05-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 08 335i

Might be the Valve cover gasket??

Okay, so I am still sort of technically new to the forum, so be nice plz.

So after driving around a little, whenever i go out the car (335i e92) I would smell a oil burning scent from the front of the car. Since I am new to manual transmission, I figured maybe I was burning my clutch a little, idk, I'm still learning from experience overall lol. Anyways, the other night I popped the hood and noticed a faint grayish smoke coming from the left side of the engine. Definitely was oil. I cleaned it up and didnt smell it again. 2 days later, Just in case, I checked again... And bam! there was oil once more.

I did just buy the car, had it inspected and everything was clean ( don't know if i trust that technician anymore). The car itself has quite a clean carfax. But whatever, I'm actually quite handy, and fell in love with the car. So I'm willing to let this be my learning experience.

Let me stop going off topic, The car hasnt given me any error codes or anything. This is something I just observed. I am going to include some pics that might help with showing where the oil is. I dont really want to take it to the stealership, but it is what is. If it is something I can personally do, that would be awesome!

PS: Dont bash me plz... Srsly guys, I just wanna learn lol. Plus I did research and couldnt pin point any 100% similar threads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Pop the plastic cover, just manhandle it out of the way, takes 2 seconds.

If you have a leak at the VCG, it will then be obvious. Follow the track of oil. It can also be the oil filter housing gasket that manifest at this place, take a look at it as well. Last but that's bad news, it could be the head gasket, but that's unusual.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Pop the plastic cover, just manhandle it out of the way, takes 2 seconds.

If you have a leak at the VCG, it will then be obvious. Follow the track of oil. It can also be the oil filter housing gasket that manifest at this place, take a look at it as well. Last but that's bad news, it could be the head gasket, but that's unusual.
Where in the hell could you assume it was the head gasket ?

More than likely you have a fine crack on the valve cover, right around the oil fill port
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
JuniorMint335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

From my experience, when I had a bad VCG, the oil was more distributed evenly along the entire edge and you could smell the burn. The Oil filter housing leak can also do the same as oil can travel along the front of the engine to the side. Whats ur Mileage maybe its time to change the gasket anyways?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep

I'm at 80k. But I think it is the VCG. I took off the engine cover. Didn't exactly see any traces toward the head gasket. I figured it was leaking from the valve cover. I might take it to a local shop just in case
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Broken valve cover bolts are a common problem. I had a leak in the same area. Replaced 3 broken bolts and problem solved. I didn't even change the gasket. Might want to check that before taking the valve cover off.

The oil filter housing gasket is another common problem I took care of. Might as well change the oil and coolant while you're at it. I have my fingers crossed on the waterpump(another issue on these cars) which is still hanging in there after 90k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Broken valve cover bolts are a common problem. I had a leak in the same area. Replaced 3 broken bolts and problem solved. I didn't even change the gasket. Might want to check that before taking the valve cover off.

The oil filter housing gasket is another common problem I took care of. Might as well change the oil and coolant while you're at it. I have my fingers crossed on the waterpump(another issue on these cars) which is still hanging in there after 90k miles.
The bolts breaking isn't an issue with the plastic valve covers, only early magnesium covers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep

So I think it really may be the VCG. Got a quote from a local shop. Dude said it would be 700+. Figure I might as well do it myself since the part is around 40. If I still see the leak after that. Then I guess the dealership it is, I'll let you guys know, thanks so far!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

It is a bit more involved than usual because you need to handle the Vanos motor, but it is not bad, just time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep

Damnit damnit damnit. So I decided to do the diy. Everything was going pretty well, took kinda long because I was missing some tools. Anyways. I replaced the gasket... Turned the car on, now one of the fuel lines is leaking. It's weird because it's only one, i tightened it, yet it still was slowly leaking.

Also, when I turned on the car, I heard a rattling sound, it went away after like 20 seconds, but it was weird.

Last but not least, I still see freaking oil in the same damn place... I sort of wish I didn't try and replace it myself, but It really didn't seem hard.

Not sure if I should just get it towed to a mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

This happen to me too. I turned the car on and it leaked again. I noticed that After the car was turned the torque on the bolts where off after the car heat up. Re-torqued and the leak stop. Also when I did it I had to replace both the VCG and the OFG. Both were leaking. My car had 92K miles
      06-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Jitevashaat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2ko0
This happen to me too. I turned the car on and it leaked again. I noticed that After the car was turned the torque on the bolts where off after the car heat up. Re-torqued and the leak stop. Also when I did it I had to replace both the VCG and the OFG. Both were leaking. My car had 92K miles
Did you retorque the bolts with the car turned on?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitevashaat View Post
Did you retorque the bolts with the car turned on?
No, I turned the car on for about 15~20 mins and shut it off. Checked the torque and I was able to hit about 1/4 turn before it click on my torque driver.
      06-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
lizardking
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3351 2007

Gasket

Yes, that's what happened to me it was the valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0