E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is she giving up the ghost eventually?

12-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
AlexFacey
Registered
Rep
Drives: Currently E90 and F20

Is she giving up the ghost eventually?

Last night I got a call from the other half that started with 'I think I've cooked it', she was driving the old e90 318d and had sudden plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. I've given the car a hard life and its now got 300k on the clocks.

When I got there and did a little digging I found the following:

- Car has been using some coolant for a while with coolant level light coming on at the end of journeys.

- Engine is running fine, no roughness to idle etc.

- Engine oil looks OK, no signs of water.

- Thick white smoke/steam comes from the tailpipe, worse when the engine is warm, worse with revs.

- Inside the tailpipe feels wet.

I rescued her and the kids in the F series and left the car where it was overnight, I'm going back out there later to have a proper look, any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like a head gasket to me. Good luck with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0