E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Should I really cut 6" for my PE

03-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

Should I really cut 6" for my PE

I'm going to install the PE tomorrow, and I dry fit it couple times to make sure I won't cut too much, but I'm still not so sure if it's accurate. According to the DIY, the owner cut it 6" behind the secondary cat. Is it a good fitment?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black widow View Post
I'm going to install the PE tomorrow, and I dry fit it couple times to make sure I won't cut too much, but I'm still not so sure if it's accurate. According to the DIY, the owner cut it 6" behind the secondary cat. Is it a good fitment?
That sounds about right. But a good rule of thumb is if you are in doubt, leave enough so that you can get it perfect with a second cut. Also, the way the BMW band clamps work, if there is a small gap between the two pipes the band clamps will cover it.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
That sounds about right. But a good rule of thumb is if you are in doubt, leave enough so that you can get it perfect with a second cut. Also, the way the BMW band clamps work, if there is a small gap between the two pipes the band clamps will cover it.
Right! i realized that the exhaust pipe is little bit different in length (the left side is shorter than the right) and also its not horizontal, so i will need to cut it in a angle, right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Your PE should come with comprehensive fitting instructions from BMW. If these are not in the box, ask your supplying dealer to print off a copy for you.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Take your stock exhaust completely off the car and lay it side-by-side next to the PE, then do your measurements.
      03-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Always apply the golden rule... Measure twice cut once... Shouldn't be too hard
Appreciate 0