E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > To double side tape or glue or both

03-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

To double side tape or glue or both

I purchased the m3 spoiler and had it painted. I also had the splitters repainted. But I'm debating on whether to just use double side tape or to use double sided tape and a bit of glue on the corners to reinforce

I just think it will be really easy to steal the m3 spoiler if I just use double side tape. Also I m wondering what used to glue and where to buy it.

I work on airplanes and we use Prc to seal panels so water does not go in. I found it comes out easy with a plastic scraper and it does not damage the paint ( on airplanes) ; it is also pretty strong and water resistant. Also it is free for me

Any thoughts ; recommendat ions
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Double sided tape is more than strong enough and a much easier install process.....just make sure you prep both surfaces well as any residue on part or trunk with affect the bond significantly.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I am actually going through this very process myself with my E46 M Sport. The previous owner gave up replacing the boot spoiler after having to get the boot (trunk) repaired from the damage of the stolen boot spoiler, so ended up giving me the spare boot spoiler unfitted. I have just had it resprayed and am trying to source the proper double-sided tape to have it fitted, but am very much aware of the potential for it to go missing again and the pain of inevitable damage to the paintwork. Hate thieves!!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM e90 Pre-Lci n52

I have seen people's spoilers stolen even when they had been glued, therefore I don't see gluing the product being significantly beneficial.

I taped mine, I would recommend the same.
Appreciate 0