E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealer blames BOV for clutch problem

01-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #67
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

^^thanks for the advice dude, but what about when your ina stop/go situation?? You have to stop for like 2-3 sec before moving 5 feet and stopping over and over? Do you have to constantly put it back into N and break, then put it back in gear to move?? Man i shouldve bought an auto!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #68
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
^^thanks for the advice dude, but what about when your ina stop/go situation?? You have to stop for like 2-3 sec before moving 5 feet and stopping over and over? Do you have to constantly put it back into N and break, then put it back in gear to move?? Man i shouldve bought an auto!
Listen, there is no need to get paranoid here. I think that the clutch riding thing is getting blown out of proportion here. If you have your foot to the floor on your clutch with the car in gear you will not wear the clutch. If you are holding it out a little bit, then you will get some clutch wear if it is something that you do at every single stop and make a habit of it. As someone pointed out about the throw out bearing wearing, I really wouldn't worry about that because its almost impossible to wear out your throw out bearing before your clutch disc. Almost all of your clutch wear will come from revmatching, or your lack of it so I wouldn't sweat sitting at a stop light and holding the clutch in. As long as you drive your car smoothly (ie. revmatch when downshifting) and don't rev the crap out of the car when taking off from a stop, you will be fine. Also, there is really no need to cruise with your car in neutral ever, IMO. I don't think its safe to really do so. When you are cruising or about to come to a stop you should have time to either heel/toe or downshift before braking and shift to neutral right before you are about to come to a stop or slow down below 2nd gear.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #69
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

You should avoid coasting/sitting at lights ETC with the clutch fully depressed when you don't need to. There is a part of the clutch called a throw out bearing that can wear out. Will you likely do this even if you leave the clutch in at light a lot? No. Would it be better to be in neutral with the clutch engaged to lessen the chance? Definitely.
      01-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #70
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

ok cool, i dont really downshift unless im about to stop but then accelerate to a slower speed
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #71
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
ok cool, i dont really downshift unless im about to stop but then accelerate to a slower speed
you'll be good. learn to downshift properly and you will REALLY start to enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #72
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
... someone kills a kitten.
Is that bad? I heard cats are evil!
Appreciate 0