E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clutch flywheel fitment

03-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Buy from RockAuto - was $100 cheaper than what I paid for over ECS.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
330iE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itpro2000 View Post
Any update? I too have a 2006 330i e90 and need to replace the clutch. I had the Valeo kit saved on my bookmark from uuc and now it no longer says it will fit. I just want to make sure the splines are the same before I buy.. I have emailed Valeo but it's been a week with no reply.. any help would be greatly appreciated! !
I actually called UUC about the fitment and they checked the original Valeo fitment list and the 330i is not listed so they removed it from their website. You can still see it but it will be on the 3rd page when you select your car.

I measured the clutch disc and it is the same 240mm as the stock 330i clutch size. The 325i/328i have a 228mm clutch disc.

My appointment to get this installed is next week, parts are delayed due to the snow storm on the east coast.

As soon as I have it installed I will update you guys with first impressions and etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #25
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Buy from RockAuto - was $100 cheaper than what I paid for over ECS.
Wow I wish you said that last week.. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #26
ktm137
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Any update? Did you get a chance to get the kit installed?

Thanks!
Kevin
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #27
330iE90
Private
Rep

Hey sorry for such a late response. I did get it installed. At first I thought something is wrong because it did not feel like it's driving normally, but then after the first 100 miles it got so much better. The car is a whole different animal now. I'm still at about 200 miles since I put it in so not driving hard but already it's a huge positive. This kit will definitely bring the car a lot more life and spirit.

But there was a big increase in transmission noise, I do however have 335is engine mounts, Turner trans mounts, AKG 75d diff mounts. When in neutral it makes noticeably more noise and when starting out and going up in gears between 1700-2100 rpm there's noise. I think last time the trans fluid put in was lighter weight, doing a flush with 75w-90 will see how it goes.

I would definitely recommend the kit. A little disappointed and surprised by extra noise but I think the new trans fluid will change it. As an alternative for almost half the cost of OEM definitely recommend 👍
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      05-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #28
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

what about shudders / vibrations ? anything except noise with single mass FW ?

Also, how is the shifting & the clutch engagement vs. OEM ?
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
what about shudders / vibrations ? anything except noise with single mass FW ?

Also, how is the shifting & the clutch engagement vs. OEM ?
Sorry for late response. I am not good at these forms.

I do hear my diff now engaging and disengaging. No vibrations or shudders, the car does how ever doesnt like to start moving slowly. You have to get used to the new way the clutch hooks on. The car does like to be reved out more.

Shifting is more sporty and quicker, the whole car wants you to floor it now and go fast.

Engagement is also constant and even now.

I was a little disappointed about the noise from transmission. On hot days car sounds like a diesel, when I was in colorado mountains earlier this summer at about 45 degrees you couldnt hear the noise at all, even with warm trans.

However as mentioned before I do have the 335is engine mounts, rogue engineering trans mounts, AKG black diff and rear subframe bushings. All these mods make the driveline much stiffer which will result in more noise.
I also changed the trans fluid but that made no difference.

Overall I am happy with the outcome, the car is my DD so it is a little change. I am a spirited driver so it fits very well.

I am about 10k miles into this kit and so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #30
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

^ thanks ! I wish I could experience it first hand. There are so many impressions both ways - too harsh/noisy/vibrating & not too harsh/noisy/vibrating. Sounds like you're happy with yours.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #31
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
^ thanks ! I wish I could experience it first hand. There are so many impressions both ways - too harsh/noisy/vibrating & not too harsh/noisy/vibrating. Sounds like you're happy with yours.

Yeah it can also change depending on the mods that you have done to your car. Mods are a slippery slope, I always say will be done after that lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #32
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90 View Post
Yeah it can also change depending on the mods that you have done to your car. Mods are a slippery slope, I always say will be done after that lol.
yeah nk... but then you had the mods before the smfw as well. yet it sounds like there is a difference now. any chance for a video at idle w/ or w/o a/c on ? is this rattle shaking the shifter only, or does the whole dash rattle, or ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #33
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
yeah nk... but then you had the mods before the smfw as well. yet it sounds like there is a difference now. any chance for a video at idle w/ or w/o a/c on ? is this rattle shaking the shifter only, or does the whole dash rattle, or ?

I think you misunderstood the rattle and shaking. Imagine gears inside the transmission having more tension and making more noise when they meet each other while they are spinning. Its like metal tapping I guess. Thats the only extra noise, if you shift bad you also feel the clutch bounce because theres no dual mass flywheel to absorb the shock.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #34
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

So you're saying the famous rattle is actually pure sound, no actual rattle anywhere ? That was the gist of my question above.

Since you mentioned shifting, that was my other major question - has shifting gotten better or worse with the kit ? mine already is not just really notchy (std for bimmers but not really a problem) but at times it won't go in 1st, period. I have to let out the clutch, and then back in and re-try (I drove only sticks for 25yrs now, and have driven plenty of cars where most ppl could not shift into certain gears)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #35
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

might want to try changing the fluid - our E91 was like that sometimes, but mine always goes right into gear without problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #36
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
might want to try changing the fluid - our E91 was like that sometimes, but mine always goes right into gear without problems.
did that. no go. changed it first around 90k to RL D4. horrible. changed it out I think <2k mi after. put in Synchromesh (used in vettes). Was quite impressed. Being a dyno oil I changed it out after 10k or so (don't have notes in front of me). Now running RL MTL. ~122k is the mileage on the car.

None avoided the problem. If it'd be a lubrication issue you'd stand a chance, but when it doesn't go into gear it's a mechanical blockage not friction blockage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #37
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

could also be a worn linkage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #38
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
could also be a worn linkage.
yeah, that would be a best case scenario. given that it happens infrequent (1-2 / day, then days w/o it occurring) I'm not sure the linkage would produce such unpredictability. it might.

when I installed my short shifter the linkages (what I could see from under the car) looked ok but I didn't really check too thoroughly. not sure if I'd even know how to properly check (play ?).

I plan to replace a bunch of shifter parts when I finally do my clutch. any specific parts you know of that might fail or cause something like this ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #39
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying the famous rattle is actually pure sound, no actual rattle anywhere ? That was the gist of my question above.

Since you mentioned shifting, that was my other major question - has shifting gotten better or worse with the kit ? mine already is not just really notchy (std for bimmers but not really a problem) but at times it won't go in 1st, period. I have to let out the clutch, and then back in and re-try (I drove only sticks for 25yrs now, and have driven plenty of cars where most ppl could not shift into certain gears)

Yes its sound of gears doing their job. It gets louder the hotter it is outside and the more stress engine has like A/C on.

It has gotten so much better. You can shift quick, the hook point is always the same spot.

How many miles you have on your clutch? I am guessing it is also stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Yes its sound of gears doing their job. It gets louder the hotter it is outside and the more stress engine has like A/C on.

It has gotten so much better. You can shift quick, the hook point is always the same spot.

How many miles you have on your clutch? I am guessing it is also stock?
tried to find some videos. most are e46 but yeah, it sure sounds like a diesel, more from the outside than the inside - is that what you experience too ? it is a bit embarrassing overall ? bimmer image and rough running don't mix well...

sounds like you like it now ? I recall reading on a another thread that you think a dmfw and a sprung non-sac clutch is still a better choice. (I'd agree is the dmfw wouldn't seem such a crap design)

what about shifting itself, not clutch ? is engaging gears, eps 1st, any different ? more notchy, more narrow gating, ... ?

still on original oem clutch ~122k mi
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #41
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
tried to find some videos. most are e46 but yeah, it sure sounds like a diesel, more from the outside than the inside - is that what you experience too ? it is a bit embarrassing overall ? bimmer image and rough running don't mix well...

sounds like you like it now ? I recall reading on a another thread that you think a dmfw and a sprung non-sac clutch is still a better choice. (I'd agree is the dmfw wouldn't seem such a crap design)

what about shifting itself, not clutch ? is engaging gears, eps 1st, any different ? more notchy, more narrow gating, ... ?

still on original oem clutch ~122k mi
At first I was a little unsure about it but I dont really care anymore. It is all about how the car makes me happy.

Yeah that would be a good choice but it depends on what you will use the car for.

Engaging first is a little different, seems like it grabs quicker and the car just wants to go. I also did the shifter bushing upgrade so my stick is very stiff and it goes into gears nicely.

Do you have driveline vibrations? Hows the clutch and flywheel holding up?

I think the level of the noise will also depend on how many bushings you changed. If you stiffen your whole driveline like I did the noise will be more noticeable vs you keeping it stock. I read threads of people with this set up barely hearing any noise after they installed it. My thought was that they had everything else stock.

Last edited by 330iE90; 10-10-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #42
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
At first I was a little unsure about it but I dont really care anymore. It is all about how the car makes me happy.

Yeah that would be a good choice but it depends on what you will use the car for.

Engaging first is a little different, seems like it grabs quicker and the car just wants to go. I also did the shifter bushing upgrade so my stick is very stiff and it goes into gears nicely.

Do you have driveline vibrations? Hows the clutch and flywheel holding up?

I think the level of the noise will also depend on how many bushings you changed. If you stiffen your whole driveline like I did the noise will be more noticeable vs you keeping it stock. I read threads of people with this set up barely hearing any noise after they installed it. My thought was that they had everything else stock.
No real vibrations, but there is jerkyness due to the dmfw.

Funny, I actually swapped my tranny bushings way back to e46 m3's, could barely shift and got them out pronto. Was thinking about trying that again, sounds like it's not a good idea if converting to a smfw.

what shifter bushing upgrade did you do ? was it #7 here ? what did you upgrade to ?

i'm slowly leaning towards converting to smfw, i drive quite spirited and it sound like it a smfw increases the car's sporty feel and responsiveness.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #43
Travzvt
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi E91

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
This has probably been gone over before, but I couldn't find the answer. And since the conversion kit has been taken off for XI I'm even more confused. All of the research I've done through real OEM says the kit should fit my pre LCI xi (228mm disk), but is there anything else that could keep it from being installed? Is the only difference the disk size, and you can use a 240mm in a 228mm application?

Sorry if it's redundant.
      10-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #44
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

^ afaik the xi uses the 240mm. the non-xi uses the 228mm. both use the same flywheel.
Appreciate 0