E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Installation Help

10-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Installation Help

Hello! I was wondering if there's anyone in marina del rey or in LA that could help a brother out installing catless downpipes on an 08 335i. I want to learn how and I've seen many videos, but I'm willing to pay someone to help me with the process. I do not have a lift, but I do have ramps and jacks. I'm not sure if this is okay to ask since I'm somewhat new to posting on the threads, so if it is not please excuse me
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Squirt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

My recommendation would be to find a small shop that will let you observe/help out. Installing DP's can be very tedious with clocking, bending heat shields, etc. You don't want to end up pulling it apart several times to resolve rattles or other issues. Also, depending upon the brand you're using, you may have to install/remove several times before putting things back together to resolve fitment issues. (with a BFH)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
AK.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E92 M3

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [10.00]
Hit up Mike @ SSR Performance if you need downpipes installed.
He'll help you out!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep

I went to SSR recently to have some parts installed, they did a great job. The problem though is that I asked them if they could redo the rubber connections between the FMIC and lower CP since I could not seem to get the clamp in the proper spot. They told me I had a boost leak due to a bent outlet. I drove the car home and I got a code and light telling me that there was a boost leak. I wanted to check out the outlet one more time and to my surprise when I checked, they did not fix the connection from the FMIC to the lower CP. I fixed this myself after some time and there was no more code or anything. I'm not sure if they set me up or not, but I'm a bit skeptical of SSR despite all the good reviews it has.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIPutHere View Post
Hello! I was wondering if there's anyone in marina del rey or in LA that could help a brother out installing catless downpipes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
My recommendation would be to find a small shop that will let you observe/help out. Installing DP's can be very tedious with clocking, bending heat shields, etc. ..
Just speaking from MY experience here. I've paid to have DP's installed and removed twice and installed them once myself because I wanted to learn and I can tell you I will GLADLY pay if I ever need them installed again. Its not hard but it is time consuming and frustrating. I spent the better part of 9hrs doing it myself and at one point had my arm stuck in suck an awkward position I was considering breaking it to get my arm out... I'll do ANYTHING but DP's

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yea I don't blame you, I've watched a good amount of videos and read some threads and no one really advises it to DIY. Especially without a lift, it's gonna be a real pain. I have seen some places that allow you to rent a lift, but it is about half the price it costs for someone else to install, so I guess I should go with that route. Do you recommend any shops?
Appreciate 0