E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Who has the most powerful XI?

06-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The "wimp" part refers to the moodiness of my car. In the past month or so, my car visited the dealership for 3 different times, each time they found a module blown some where in the car. So, naturally, I'm a little more cautious about what I do to my car, coz I don't want it to die on me.

I guess if you have a very efficient FMIC upgrade like Helix, AA, or Dinan, you could probably get away with the open intakes. I think even for turbocharged cars with FMIC, the IAT is still an important factor in making power, so I'm going for a RAM air design to bring in as much cold air as possible, without altering to much of the intake mechanism.

As for the S/C'ed M113, there is no separate FMIC in the unit and the s/c is cooled by integrated cooling circuit, which renders it fairly inefficient. Heat soaking is major theme on these cars, as well as high IAT. We also have limp modes on car, where our S/C will disengage (the S/C has a clutch so it's not always running) at an IAT >199F. The heat soak part can be dealt with by replacing the water pump with a more efficient one, and Evosport as well as VRP Tuning also developed an auxiliary cooler for the engine:

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...ER.M5K.PPC.211

People attempted to run the engine with two K&N cone filters attached to the charge pipes, but they actually end up losing power instead. That's why we were pulling our hairs out to try to find a solution for the intake situation. The separate heat exchanger helped with lowering the IAT quite a bit. For increase flow, you can either go for the GruppeM intake, or you can settle for a more reasonable alternative, the VRP carbon intake.
That makes a lot of sense, I really can't see how they would think an integrated cooling circuit would be "highly efficient" or whatever they say on the Kompressor site... Sorry to hear about the dealership visits, I've been fine so far *knock on wood*. Yeah...like I said in the other thread I haven't noticed an increase in HP...but I haven't noticed a decrease. There's certainly an increase in throttle response which is probably accounted for by jpsimon's restriction idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
That makes a lot of sense, I really can't see how they would think an integrated cooling circuit would be "highly efficient" or whatever they say on the Kompressor site... Sorry to hear about the dealership visits, I've been fine so far *knock on wood*. Yeah...like I said in the other thread I haven't noticed an increase in HP...but I haven't noticed a decrease. There's certainly an increase in throttle response which is probably accounted for by jpsimon's restriction idea.
Yeah, efficient my ass. It's all marketing bull crap. My car would start to lose power if you do several hard runs back to back. That's why Evosport and VRP developed the independent coolers for the s/c.

Hey, if you don't think you are losing power and are happy with the sound, that's enough. Do what you think is best for you. I think jpsimon is onto something with his restriction theory. I would love to see more efficient designs to be released.

Are you going to to do a front strut brace on your car? I want to custom fit the BMW Performance one, but it would probably be too much work.......
      06-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
I'm trying to get in on the M-Force Design Front CF bar and Rear bar. They haven't responded yet though. The BMW Performance one is also way overpriced....it's just a bar of metal...really lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #26
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm trying to get in on the M-Force Design Front CF bar and Rear bar. They haven't responded yet though. The BMW Performance one is also way overpriced....it's just a bar of metal...really lol.
How much is the MFD one? The stock metal one is 235 from Tischer, CF one is 785
      06-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #27
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
How much is the MFD one? The stock metal one is 235 from Tischer, CF one is 785
Oh hell, I guess I was looking at the CF price. The MFD one is about the same for metal or "CF" which is really just aluminum wrapped in CF.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #28
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh hell, I guess I was looking at the CF price. The MFD one is about the same for metal or "CF" which is really just aluminum wrapped in CF.
I see. I think I might be too ambitious to try to fit the CF strut brace with the GruppeM intake.
      07-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

just a little update if no one saw my thread in the tuning forum:

just got dynoed with my current setup under horrible horrible conditions...

369whp / 376wtq

i'm going to a different dyno this weekend with a PROPER fan setup.. i should put down a bunch more power
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #30
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
just a little update if no one saw my thread in the tuning forum:

just got dynoed with my current setup under horrible horrible conditions...

369whp / 376wtq

i'm going to a different dyno this weekend with a PROPER fan setup.. i should put down a bunch more power
where you go in CT for an AWD dyno?

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

ICS performance - dynojet - stamford
SWIFT - dyno dynamic - norwich
Pruven - dynojet - milford (but uses a really shitty fan)
XX in the hartford area has an awd dyno of some sort, but i think it is a shitty hub-style dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
where you go in CT for an AWD dyno?

Last edited by jpsimon; 07-02-2008 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #32
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

i'm getting dynoed at ICS this saturday at 8am. They have a great shop.. with some INSANE builds of their own
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #33
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I wish that we had an AWD dyno in the pittsburgh region
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
i've seen some guy Lanca on N54Tech.com he had a very good xi setup.
Thanks Ran a 12.4 and still have a little bit more to go. Terry and I are working on it with the datalogs. I think I have the record for 1/4 mile for xi's and 60 ft.(according to dragtimes)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #35
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Nice! I don't plan on going to the drag strip, my kind of racing is on a road coarse.

Have any dyno figures from your setup? This weekend I'll have some good numbers/comparisons
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #36
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

*ah I see you were on a mix of 100 and 93... not on straight up pump gas......

thats usually how it is with BMS products
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #37
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Not getting into tuner wars in this thread but its my choice to run race and pump. I dont mind doing it when I go to track, why not? As for V3......Fastest one ive seen ran a 12.8 with dp's and intake and exhaust....Went limp 3 out of 5 runs too.

Oh and BTW for those wondering on 100% 93 octane I ran a 12.5. Not much different.

So heres the deal with the xi's. Terry and I have been datalogging literally hundreds of runs. The more power you make the more timing the ECU pulls. When I ran a 12.4 I was pulling two degrees of timing, which isn't to bad but still holding back. Do not be impressed with high WHP #'s, with the xi's less is more until someone cracks the ECU. As for JB3 coming out soon, it is a RPM based tune and will help xi's because he is currently making an XI map and will have several of the "torque management" issues for the xi's resolved. Any more than 14PSI in our xi's the car actually gets slower... Spike to 15 but hold 14 and its actually way faster than running 15-16 psi.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #38
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Also, usually when you go drag racing or even autoX you want to car to perform at its best. Why wouldn't you want to put a higher octane in the car regardless of the tune? I'm confused. Majority of BMS's customer run JBX @ 100% on pump but for an extra kick you can add race gas. Same thing even with a stock car, if you want better performance out of the motor throw in some race gas if your willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #39
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

I understand why people put in race gas.. i'm not knocking it per say.. but i like to see numbers/times based on normal gas situations.. For me i would normally (as in 99.99% of the time) be running 93 octane.. so those are the kinds of numbers I prefer to see.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #40
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

my car completely catless with V3 (15.2ish psi) is a night/day faster than just v2 (14.1psi). My butt dyno says it, and so does the real dyno.

This weekend at the dyno will be very interesting though when i can compare it to a stock 335 on the same dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX View Post

So heres the deal with the xi's. Terry and I have been datalogging literally hundreds of runs. The more power you make the more timing the ECU pulls. When I ran a 12.4 I was pulling two degrees of timing, which isn't to bad but still holding back. Do not be impressed with high WHP #'s, with the xi's less is more until someone cracks the ECU. As for JB3 coming out soon, it is a RPM based tune and will help xi's because he is currently making an XI map and will have several of the "torque management" issues for the xi's resolved. Any more than 14PSI in our xi's the car actually gets slower... Spike to 15 but hold 14 and its actually way faster than running 15-16 psi.
Appreciate 0