E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valvetronic actuator

10-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i coupe

Valvetronic actuator

I got code 2DD8 and 2DD6 saying Valvetronic actuator position sensor short to ground or open circuit. Does anyone know how to fix this and what I will need to do and how much it's going to cost. I'm getting bad idle and loud Valvetronic actuator sounds when car is turned off and other problems like that right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnalston10 View Post
I got code 2DD8 and 2DD6 saying Valvetronic actuator position sensor short to ground or open circuit. Does anyone know how to fix this and what I will need to do and how much it's going to cost. I'm getting bad idle and loud Valvetronic actuator sounds when car is turned off and other problems like that right now.
most likely you will need a new valvetronic motor. Seems like the most common failure point. Its a multiple winding servo/stepper type of motor. If the winding resistance is sensed as being too low then its a bad motor.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

"Loud valvtronic actuation sounds", can you better describe them? Electrical buzzing or the eccentric shaft smacking the stops? Most likely issues is a bad servomotor. Cost is equivalent to changing the VC +1 hour or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
"Loud valvtronic actuation sounds", can you better describe them? Electrical buzzing or the eccentric shaft smacking the stops? Most likely issues is a bad servomotor. Cost is equivalent to changing the VC +1 hour or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post

Here is the link I recorded the sound
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
JB4N
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Definitely the valvetronic motor. The buzzing sound when waking the car up is the valvetronic motor trying to move, but can't.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4N View Post
Definitely the valvetronic motor. The buzzing sound when waking the car up is the valvetronic motor trying to move, but can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4N View Post
So I just need to replace the Valvetronic motor
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
So I just need to replace the Valvetronic motor
Yes, it is also referred to as the servomotor. Ignore everyone in your general post not understanding what the N55 motor is.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #8
dp05
Dom
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 2013 6MT

I had same issue with 55k miles on the clock on my N55 E92. I got 2DD6 and 2DD8 codes, sometimes, when I unlock the car I was hearing rattle/cracking noise from servomotor. I've replaced servomotor (actuator) and codes are gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #9
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp05 View Post
I had same issue with 55k miles on the clock on my N55 E92. I got 2DD6 and 2DD8 codes, sometimes, when I unlock the car I was hearing rattle/cracking noise from servomotor. I've replaced servomotor (actuator) and codes are gone.
Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that I'm having the exact same problem with the lock and unlock
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #10
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is this what you bought to fix your codes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #11
dp05
Dom
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 2013 6MT

Quote:
It's similar one, but this one looks for different engine. Try to find one for N55.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's similar one, but this one looks for different engine. Try to find one for N55.
Quote:
Quote:
If you get a second can you send me a picture of one that you got for the n55 please
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That is an N52 motor. The N55 motor looks very different.

Where the guys fingers are is where the electrical connector is you can see coming out of the valve cover. It goes straight down from there. Requires pulling injectors and removing the injector wells. Make sure to get new gaskets for the wells, and decouplers for the injectors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #14
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where the guys fingers are is where the electrical connector is you can see coming out of the valve cover. It goes straight down from there. Requires pulling injectors and removing the injector wells. Make sure to get new gaskets for the wells, and decouplers for the injectors.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The part where is fingers are on mine has oil in it. Can that be shorting it out?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The part where is fingers are on mine has oil in it. Can that be shorting it out?
If it gets into where the pins are, absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #16
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I just need to get like a q-tip and start cleaning really good because it's on the pins
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I just need to get like a q-tip and start cleaning really good because it's on the pins
Quote:
You can clean it out with parts cleaner and see how long it lasts. Oil in the pins usually means oil is leaking up though the inside of the motor. That means motor replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
Shawnalston10
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You can clean it out with parts cleaner and see how long it lasts. Oil in the pins usually means oil is leaking up though the inside of the motor. That means motor replacement.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Okay so fcpeuro sells the Valvetronic eccentric shaft actuator for $195 I just need to buy one of these and remove my valve cover and replace it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

You will need to remove valve cover, remove four injectors, remove injector wells and the oil feed line. Then you need to turn the eccentric shaft and remove the stop. Then the motor can come out. I am sure there is a video on YouTube that shows the complete procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Hannibal4444
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55--E93 6MT

Here's a good video to study before replacing the motor. He explains what he's doing the whole time. Also I would reference the workshop manual because it tells you the parts you have to refresh when getting to the servo motor. For example the injector bits, like the seal and ring have to be replaced.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197637

Check this one out as well, specifically post #4. I accidentally broke that piece too.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:06 PM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
I got these very same codes today & I'm now replacing the Valvetronic Servo Motor Actuator assembly as well. My car is a 2011 335i with the N55 at only about 68,000 miles...

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0