E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car won't start - no crank, no codes 🤔

03-17-2024, 06:03 PM   #1
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

Car won't start - no crank, no codes 🤔

Yesterday I started getting these rattling/clanking noises as I was driving. It seemed to get louder the more I drove the car. The noise seems to get louder when in S mode (AT). I didn't hear the noise when I'm stationary.

As it was the weekend, I decided to continue driving the car but drove it gently and hopefully get it looked by my mechanic on Monday. Well, I was driving and suddenly I felt a jerk and the engine cut out and I managed to drift over to the side of the road. There was an unpleasant smell coming from the car. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on the dashboard.

I checked for codes with the BC button, with the MHD and xHP app, and there were no codes at all !!!!!

I have absolutely no clue what's going with my car. Initially I thought it might be a transmission failure but I would have received some fault code if that was the case.

I do have xdrive, so maybe something in that failed but I would have expected that to cause a fault code if that was the case?

It's not suspension issues since the engine cut out and now refuses to start. Won't even crank.

May be alternator?

Help !!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:42 PM   #2
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Apparently I need a new engine.
The mechanic said they found metal particles in the filter and the engine seized.
Estimated cost to replace the engine is around $30K

Needless to say, I chose to not do it.
My car has officially died.

RIP (2010 - 2024)
You will be remembered.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:05 PM   #3
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post
Apparently I need a new engine.
The mechanic said they found metal particles in the filter and the engine seized.
Estimated cost to replace the engine is around $30K
That's not what an engine swap should cost, but whether it's worthwhile or not at whatever it should cost, you would have to decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:25 PM   #4
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaaaaaan View Post
That's not what an engine swap should cost, but whether it's worthwhile or not at whatever it should cost, you would have to decide.
The estimate is what my mechanic said.
Anyhow, the car is more than totaled for sure.
I'm just going to sell the car as salvage and get what I can for it.
Appreciate 0