E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Where is the cigarette lighter fuse?

08-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
MarioKart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Where is the cigarette lighter fuse?

I guess some change fell into one of my cigarette lighters and now both have stopped working. I was able to get out the "dimes" but the lighters still will not work. I was wondering if someone could help me find the fuse to replace it and the size.
Thank you
Mario
      08-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

there should be a diagram behind your glove box, it should tells you which is which
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
look at the diagram, it's the absolute very last one.....i had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back and it took some fiddling but i finally figured it out......if you're still having trouble, i'll look up what number it is next time i go out to my car and post back here in a few hours....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
MarioKart
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92er View Post
look at the diagram, it's the absolute very last one.....i had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back and it took some fiddling but i finally figured it out......if you're still having trouble, i'll look up what number it is next time i go out to my car and post back here in a few hours....
Thank you for you help. Do you remember if it a regular size fuse or one of those tiny one?
      08-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
it's a tiny one...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Be careful, as I have a 05/2008 e92 and the fuse layout is different than any manual or diagram I've been able to find, (except the cardboard pull-out that was on the back of the removable cover). And the diagram wasn't that helpful as it uses a bunch of icons and doesn't have a legend.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
BeezDeep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Saddle/Graphite

I'm trying to figure this out too as my 08 e92 has a blown cig lighter fuse. The legend on the back door of the fuse box is very confusing. On another post they mentioned fuse #30 but that one looks like its the seatbelt fuse.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Mech_Man
United_States
Rep

I have a 335i e92 (2008-05 according to the door sticker), and the fuse layout does not seem to be the same as layouts I've seen for earlier models.

Here is my fuse layout. If yours is the same, then the Cigarette Lighter is fuse 08, (on the chart, it's the bottom right-most icon). It's a 20 Amp (yellow) mini-fuse. I had wondered why so high, then I realized that non-e92's actually have 4 (four) count-em four cigarette lighters to my two. Mine are both in the center console, but other e9x models have a third for the back seat and a fourth for the trunk.

I scanned in the fuse box chart the First Thing, knowing I'll loose it very very soon, and then colored it so it's easier to read.

I just wish I could find some Legend of what all the symbols meant!

Edited: Note that not all 2008 e90,1,2,3's have the same fuse box. (Anyone know the actual time and model where one is different than the other?). For example, look at the orientation of the little red "H" shaped plastic fuse-removal tool that's provided. Some have it horizontal, some vertical (like my 05/2008 e92). Keep that in mind when you are looking at various DIY's fuse suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mech_Man; 08-23-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
BeezDeep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Saddle/Graphite

Thanks Mech Man... that's a huge help and is indeed the correct fuse. I figured it out because the guys with the slightly older cars had the same symbol next to their fuse #30 which was previously confirmed to be the cigarette lighter fuse. The chuckleheads at BMW took my fuse out in order to hardwire my V1 (weird since there were several other empty slots available).

Slot 08 FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
MarioKart
Lieutenant
Rep

That is amazing Mech Man, it people like you that make this forum a success!!!
Thank you for your help
      08-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
Mech_Man
United_States
Rep

Sure, glad to help.
I've been considering which fuse to tap for hard wiring a GPS and a Radar Detector, plus I have a boost-gauge that wants power (switched), and power (switched, dimmed).

I got a hold of the EWD CD (Electric Wiring Diagram) V12.0, dated 2007, and it seems to be out of date for my e92 built in 05/2008. Several of the fuses shown on the fuse block chart don't match up with the diagrams. That's a huge problem!

I'm pretty disappointed at just how hard (to impossible) it's been to get info on how a new car works. No shop manuals AT ALL, ever!, and no wiring diagram, just schematics of components and systems. I really miss folding out the huge full-car diagram of my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

just FYI on my 07' E90 335i it was fuse #30 for the cig lighter same figure though -C+. It is a small 20 amp yellow fuse
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
chch
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: E91 318i 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech_Man View Post
I had wondered why so high, then I realized that non-e92's actually have 4 (four) count-em four cigarette lighters to my two. Mine are both in the center console, but other e9x models have a third for the back seat and a fourth for the trunk.
E91 actually have 5 (five) count-em five cig. lighter connectors (no lighters in them, just plastic plugs). One besides the ashtray, one inside the center console, two on the back of the console for the backseat passengers pleasure, and one in the trunk. That's maybe more than in a truck. I'm happy with them tho :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Mech_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chch View Post
E91 actually have 5 (five) count-em five cig. lighter connectors (no lighters in them, just plastic plugs). One besides the ashtray, one inside the center console, two on the back of the console for the backseat passengers pleasure, and one in the trunk. That's maybe more than in a truck. I'm happy with them tho :-)
Right. The US cars only get an ash tray in the back. There's an easy sounding Do It Yourself to use the existing pre-wires and some European replacement parts to put the lighter sockets in the aft end of the center console. I've been thinking of this to provide power for cell phone chargers, laptop power converters, etc.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29773
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
I have a 335i e92 (2008-05 according to the door sticker), and the fuse layout does not seem to be the same as layouts I've seen for earlier models.

Here is my fuse layout. If yours is the same, then the Cigarette Lighter is fuse 08, (on the chart, it's the bottom right-most icon). It's a 20 Amp (yellow) mini-fuse. I had wondered why so high, then I realized that non-e92's actually have 4 (four) count-em four cigarette lighters to my two. Mine are both in the center console, but other e9x models have a third for the back seat and a fourth for the trunk.

I scanned in the fuse box chart the First Thing, knowing I'll loose it very very soon, and then colored it so it's easier to read.

Edited: Note that not all 2008 e90,1,2,3's have the same fuse box. (Anyone know the actual time and model where one is different than the other?). For example, look at the orientation of the little red "H" shaped plastic fuse-removal tool that's provided. Some have it horizontal, some vertical (like my 05/2008 e92). Keep that in mind when you are looking at various DIY's fuse suggestions.
Thanks for the nice colour coded chart! Matches my Canadian 2008 E92 M3 perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #16
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

I have a quick question.. on the fuse chart #63 the one that looks like a shock or it could be the home link fuse keeps blowing every time i put a new one anyone know what my problem could be.. everything in the car works fine
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
steveleesandy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Wink Great help Mr Mech- Why no Icon key to assist from BMW?It was a mystery before this!

Quote:

Excellent
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
FYI - I just installed a V1 Rix Vent Boost gauge, which taps into the cigerette lighter for power. The gauge and cig lighter are working fine, but now my audio does not work and the SOS symbol with a line crossed through it comes on the dash 10 seconds after startup. I was hoping it was just a blown fuse, but now I'm not so sure.

I checked all of the 20 Amp fuses in my 07' 335i E90, but no luck. Every fuse I've pulled, checks out OK.

I"m debating whether or not to take into the dealership, but I'd have to pull out my JB4 and obviously the Rix boost gauge are not OEM. I do only have 250 miles left on my factory warranty. Not how I wanted to spend my Sunday - I wanted to drive some canyons!
      10-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:

Thanks Mech Man It was indeed the 8 blown fuse.

It seems to be clear that mostly the tire air pump is the ones blowing them. I'm buying several of these fuses. I also plug radar detector in the cig.
Just for curiosity, which ones are "spare" fuses? Don't ask. Right?!

Last edited by 2fast4; 10-14-2013 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Mistaken for location
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
Mech_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
Thanks Mech Man It was indeed the 8 blown fuse.

It seems to be clear that mostly the tire air pump is the ones blowing them. I'm buying several of these fuses. I also plug radar detector in the cig.
Just for curiosity, which ones are "spare" fuses? Don't ask. Right?!
Since you have the same year and model as I, they my fuse charts should work for you.
If you look at:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...14&postcount=8
You'll see the scan (that I colorized) of my fuse layout.
It's only a moderate help, since I was NEVER able to find a legend of the fuse chart symbols. I had to guess and check against the electrical diagrams from the shop manuals, etc to figure out the few I needed to know.

Now, look at:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=429
You'll see a pic of my fuse block.
(The green arrow points to my "fuse-tap" that I added for my hardwired radar detector).

If you look at the top of the photo, you will see a row of fuses that are NOT shown on the fuse chart. On second glance, you can see that they are 90 degrees from the edge fuses, and --- what a coincidence! --- there is one of each capacity.
These are the spares. a 5, 7.5, 10, 30, and 40 amp.
I pulled one out, and confirmed this, by seeing that there was no electrical connection in the fuse block, just something to hold the spare in.
GREAT FEATURE, eh??? I could only wish that they would be ID'ed them as spares a little more clearly, for non-experts like me.
(Also, it's pretty cool they provide a fuse-puller, clipped on the block too).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Fooljam
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series

The amount of time I spent on this stupid fuse diagram in the past trying to understand what those signs meant....seriously could they not have drawn a cigarette as a symbol instead of this thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
Mech_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
The amount of time I spent on this stupid fuse diagram in the past trying to understand what those signs meant....seriously could they not have drawn a cigarette as a symbol instead of this thing?
In principle, I agree with you, but a symbol of a cigarette lighter socket is a better one to use, seeing as I've never smoked, don't allow it in my car, and even replaced all the lighters with covers when I first got my car.
I'm not sure I'd recognize a stylized logo for a cigarette!
Appreciate 0