E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Vancouver: Detailers???

04-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Vancouver: Detailers???

Anyone have any good experience or can recommend a professional detailer in Vancouver?

I have a jet black E90 (looks lovely when clean but such a pain in the ass to keep down on the scratches...you alpine white guys complain about keeping your cars clean...but you don't know what pains we black cars have to go through for the scratches). thinking about going to Downtown Auto Spa. They seem to know what they are doing...and are the only place (that I know of in Vancouver) that offers wax using Zaino.

Any comments about their work?

I was thinking it might be worthwhile for them to wash, clay bar and a 3-step polish to take out all the micro scratches on my car, and an initial coat of Zaino. Then I can maintain it by layering on a few coats of Zaino at my own leisure.

The other route is to buy a Porter Cable and try to do it myself...but seems like I might mess it up more...I thought I was being so careful with my car (used 2 bucket method, only hand washed or pressure wash during winter) and yet I still see lots of micro-scratches on my hood and trunk...if you look carefully.

Any thoughts or comments?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

D A S IS THE BEST
Great service! They really know what they are doing!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
xtc_604_dkny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 05' E46 330

me and a bunch of other guys go to a buddy of ours
he posts on vancouvereuros under the name 't-dawg'
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I know your pain. Metallic black is marginally easier to avoid tiny scratches than jet black- but you're on the right track.

For what it's going to cost you to go out and get your ride detailed, you're almost better off buying the kit you'd need yourself and going the DIY route.

I've got a PC7424, and the array of Zaino products, and I've had decent success at keeping my car looking scratch-free.

When I had my car in to the autobody shop for the M-Aero kit install and paint, they washed and waxed the car for me. And the monkey who buffed the car (clearly with a rotary buffer) left some nice swirls on the hood of my car. Less than pleased, I had them take the car back and remove the scratches... sorta worked. I fixed it myself after the fact.

Long story short, even though you're taking it to a pro-shop, there's a sense of satisfaction and ease of mind in doing it yourself. The PC random orbital route is nearly foolproof, unless you throw common sense out the window.

Let me know how you do if you go see the guys at the Auto Spa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Anyone have any good experience or can recommend a professional detailer in Vancouver?

I have a jet black E90 (looks lovely when clean but such a pain in the ass to keep down on the scratches...you alpine white guys complain about keeping your cars clean...but you don't know what pains we black cars have to go through for the scratches). thinking about going to Downtown Auto Spa. They seem to know what they are doing...and are the only place (that I know of in Vancouver) that offers wax using Zaino.

Any comments about their work?

I was thinking it might be worthwhile for them to wash, clay bar and a 3-step polish to take out all the micro scratches on my car, and an initial coat of Zaino. Then I can maintain it by layering on a few coats of Zaino at my own leisure.

The other route is to buy a Porter Cable and try to do it myself...but seems like I might mess it up more...I thought I was being so careful with my car (used 2 bucket method, only hand washed or pressure wash during winter) and yet I still see lots of micro-scratches on my hood and trunk...if you look carefully.

Any thoughts or comments?