E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Can tires leak air after pothole, but aren't blown??

02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Vin_ZNT
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Can tires leak air after pothole, but aren't blown??

I hit a huge pothole and the check tire icon come on not too long after.

After I checked i realize that the back wheel was off about 6 psi.

I brought it to the BMW dealership and the serviceman asked me if I tried to pump back my tire because "after hitting a pothole, it's normal to lose some air and might not be a blown tire"

After some researches online, I found a line that made a lot of sense: "Tires don't just 'lose air' after hitting a pothole. Where will the air leak out? The cap?"

So I am wondering if it's really normal to lose some psi after hitting pothole, or did I blown my tire and it's leaking slowly but surely?

Thanks
Vin
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
gtaguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

my rear tire keeps losing air, but i think its because the rim is bent. There aren't any holes in the tire... i just mounted them at the beginning of the winter season. It was the guy that mounted the tire that told me the rim was bent but shouldnt affect anything.

i have to air up my tire every few weeks. loses about 10-15 psi every 2 weeks perhaps. Maybe the same happened to you after hitting the pothole
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
my rear tire keeps losing air, but i think its because the rim is bent. There aren't any holes in the tire... i just mounted them at the beginning of the winter season. It was the guy that mounted the tire that told me the rim was bent but shouldnt affect anything.

i have to air up my tire every few weeks. loses about 10-15 psi every 2 weeks perhaps. Maybe the same happened to you after hitting the pothole
.....it wont affect anything other than air pressure and vibration that will ultimately shake some bearing lose somewhere. How can you mount a wheel knowing its bent?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_ZNT View Post

I brought it to the BMW dealership and the serviceman asked me if I tried to pump back my tire because "after hitting a pothole, it's normal to lose some air and might not be a blown tire"

After some researches online, I found a line that made a lot of sense: "Tires don't just 'lose air' after hitting a pothole. Where will the air leak out? The cap?"

So I am wondering if it's really normal to lose some psi after hitting pothole, or did I blown my tire and it's leaking slowly but surely?

Thanks
Vin
Service guy knows more than almost everyone here. I'd believe him .
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

You may have bent the rim slightly, it happens all the time to people. Around the bead on the inner or outer walls of the tire may have come loose after the impact.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
gtaguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
.....it wont affect anything other than air pressure and vibration that will ultimately shake some bearing lose somewhere. How can you mount a wheel knowing its bent?
i really had no choice, its my only set of rims, and the winter tires needed to go on. theres no vibration at all, i cant even tell, so it must be ever so minor to leak air slowly. i'll get it looked at after i throw a summer setup on soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Eye8Pussies
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

it's possible to break the bead on the tire.....and it can theoretically reseal if you didn't lose much air, but usually when you break the bead on a tire, you'll have to get it remounted and resealed (usually the tire shop will use a tar-like substance to help reseal it)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
normal happens all the time, the rubber is porous air eventually leaks when you store wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Yeah, if you hit a pothole hard enough and your rim is bent.

Then you could slowly leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

The serviceman is giving you the "cheapest" option (and he is correct).

Pump the tire first to the correct PSI, then check it again the next day. if you lose more than 2psi on the same tire, that tells you have a problem with your tire or the rim.

I had a minor puncture on my right front tire and it loses only 2psi per day. Sometimes the problem is minor and you won't have an immediate flat tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_ZNT View Post

Thanks
Vin
      02-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

But tires normally leak slowly. That's why you have to check the pressure at least once a month. Couldn't a high impact cause a temporary larger loss of pressure?

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Did it lose 6 psi then hold at the lower pressure? If so, it could have leaked past the bead during the impact. Folks would be surprised to see what happens between tire and rim during a hard impact. If it's holding the new pressure constantly, fill it up again. I would give the wheel a thorough look, though, just to be sure there isn't any damage you missed the first time.

Regards
D
      03-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Vin_ZNT
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

well what can I do about a slightly bent rim?

I checked myself and the bent might be so minor I cannot spot it with eyes
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
EliteAutoImports
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sport/Nav/Prem

It depends on the severity of the damage. I was told once by a reputable tire dealer that if you can't feel it and it doesn't lose any air over time, it is fine.

I would replace the Rim if the damage was noticable.

I also only Road Force balance any vehicle that I touch.
Appreciate 0