E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Has anybody gone from 330D to 335i?

09-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #23
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Personally I've never found the 335 lacking in straight line speed or acceleration, even running stock.

The drive train is probably the best part about the stock car, it's responsive, sounds lovely, and is just as happy cruising in town as chasing the red line...though admittedly the power does drop off when you start getting close to the red line.

For me I enjoy driving the car high up in the rev range, i enjoy the sound of the engine and the instant throttle response, something which a diesel is never going to match.

There is nothing 'special' about the 335i apart from the engine, but give a 335 decent suspension, brakes, cooling, and you essentially get a M3. The only other car in 3 series range that has a twinturbo engine is the M3 .

Having now driven my round the best roads in Europe I cannot think another car I would sell my modified 335i for, including the new M3 . I still need to source some reliable extra oil cooling for the 335, but put something like a B3 suspension kit+LSD on a 335 and you get a car that really can just about do everything well .

I think BMW nearly shot themselves in the foot with the drivetrain in the 335i, it's just too good for the rest of the car. Yes there are reliability issues, however none are that hard to sort out, but you do need to budget for the known issues....you missed leaking front oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket from the list, I've just had to sort out both on my 335 .

You can argue if you put the same mods on a 330d your also get a fab car.....but sometimes when I start up the 335i first thing in the morning I would just sit there for 30 seconds with the window open just listening to the twinturbo engine warm up, that's how good it sounds, and every time I start the car it just makes me smile no matter how rubbish a day I had at work

Do you get the same feeling in a 330d??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
M5rius
Banned
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 bmw e92  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

The only other car in 3 series range that has a twinturbo engine is the M3 .
M3 has V8 n/a engine
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5rius View Post
M3 has V8 n/a engine
Where have you been for the last 12 months??

WM
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #26
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Personally I've never found the 335 lacking in straight line speed or acceleration, even running stock.

The drive train is probably the best part about the stock car, it's responsive, sounds lovely, and is just as happy cruising in town as chasing the red line...though admittedly the power does drop off when you start getting close to the red line.

For me I enjoy driving the car high up in the rev range, i enjoy the sound of the engine and the instant throttle response, something which a diesel is never going to match.
That is marked and I felt it. But I miss the sudden surge of torque which diesel gives.

Quote:
I think BMW nearly shot themselves in the foot with the drivetrain in the 335i, it's just too good for the rest of the car. Yes there are reliability issues, however none are that hard to sort out, but you do need to budget for the known issues....you missed leaking front oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket from the list, I've just had to sort out both on my 335 .
That clearly puts me off as I have to have warranty if I ever go for 335i. 330d is nearly trouble free and economical as well.

Quote:
You can argue if you put the same mods on a 330d your also get a fab car.....but sometimes when I start up the 335i first thing in the morning I would just sit there for 30 seconds with the window open just listening to the twinturbo engine warm up, that's how good it sounds, and every time I start the car it just makes me smile no matter how rubbish a day I had at work

Do you get the same feeling in a 330d??
No, I don't. I have heard to so many exhausts on 335i and prefer PE OEM one. But then I think starting 335i will disturb my neighbors.

One a positive side, I enjoy
-550-625W sound system
-NBT

Keep me occupied as soon as I start my car

Thanks for your contribution. 335i is excellent car and I completely agree.

Just had a chat with miswa and tried to convince her that its time to move on to 335i
(not a mention of bmw warranty or reliability issues)

She agreed only on one condition. I will have to sleep in 335i for the rest of my life

Going to stick with 330d for the time being.
      09-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #27
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Then is 80 BHP gain still dearer than 100NM torque?

Apologies, not being rude but trying to understand the logic behind 335i?

Thanks.
It's never about the final figure Sam. That's just for willy waving down the pub. A fast car is all about the area "under the curve".
This is where the tuned 335i shines. The boost comes in instantly and holds well into 5k before slowly dropping as the revs climb towards the red line. This is what makes it "deceptively fast" as many people have already described it. It's addictive.
WM

WM
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
It's never about the final figure Sam. That's just for willy waving down the pub. A fast car is all about the area "under the curve".
This is where the tuned 335i shines. The boost comes in instantly and holds well into 5k before slowly dropping as the revs climb towards the red line. This is what makes it "deceptively fast" as many people have already described it. It's addictive.
WM

WM
Nice analogy WM...

I used to work with industrial pumps and I can relate to what WM is saying...

A pump will work on the system curve that it is connected to, so for example, you could fit a huge pump on a very small system like your central heating, but due to the resistance in that system the pump will only push the amount of water it can get through the pipes as the pipes are a constant...

The pump can only work to it's designed power curve... Too much resistance in the system and the pump is not efficient, not enough resistance and the pump will fall off its power curve and result in less flow/efficiency..

Same as power with a car to some degree, more performance is gained with better flow of fuel/gasses...

Hope that makes some sense...

Another example...

Your heart is designed to pump blood through the bodies system, when things get clogged up the heart has to work harder and becomes less efficient... Then it gives up....

I would say the final figure is like blood pressure, a larger no is not always good as the system might be working to hard to produce that figure and will fail prematurely...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #29
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I've driven a good few 335i's as well as a good few 330d'd mapped and std. Biggest thing that perhaps stands out with a diesel especially a mapped diesel(depends on the map of course and how its been set up)is th epower delivery. Torque from the word go, I had a 330d and to be fiar throttle response from the word go was nigh on instant(but that was how I requested it to be)but its was all power low down for me and that's what I got therefore it felt very muscular.

The later E9X series 330d's Ive driven in various states take this a good stage further they feel seriously pokey again especially on the mapped cars I;ve driven lower down you're using power from barely 800rpm say to 3800 or so rpm and when you look at the speedo you know your motoring but its the sensation the sheer pull you get from the diesels that stands out, I've got to say Idriven several Evolve cars don't know there state of tune but all felt very potent(though a tad spiky re power delivery) a couple of Simon's cars (E-Maps)felt as urgent but the power delivery was more acceptable more linier which overall to me felt more acceptable but equally as devestating in terms of speed acomplished. We've remapped a few too and I've got to say the diffference again with ours was between these two aggressive but oh so driveable. Point to point you'd struggle to keep up with one due to all that torque...

Now a 335i's something I thought long and hard about before saying yes, my main dilema was based on short journey / diesel usage = trouble we see too many diesels in with grief pumps, injectors and god knows what else they seem to not like short duration work and I;d seen enough through our doors in 4 months spending big money to have me look elsewhere. So a 335i it was.

Std there OK gangzoom's has pointed out the cars not exactly lacking out the box in terms of straightline speed, I think all the E9X cars struggle re our roads due to chassis set up, which is a shame (but thats another story)drive train again as gangzoom's pointed out seems OK, the later spec LCI auto boxes are better than my pre lci auto for instance but overall the manual/auto's are OK.

But on the drive especially when mapped and say the downpipes are repalced with catless items the 335i's awoken. I've had mine mapped by Simon who listened to what I wanted and delivered the goods mines very linier again but with the 335i torques there but the way the momentem builds is different to the diesels its builds and builds on revs get mine above 3500 and with you're foot down it changes charactor and it all starts to make sense, from tickover you've got a nice deep note which rises to a howl at higher speeds/deeper throttle inputs and I love that.

Sure you've got to work the petrol a little more where the diesel the muscle from the word go you've got to prod the 335i a little more to equate the urge you'd get from the diesel but it delivers like a drives car should through the rev range diesel yes feels quick but the power dleivery like all diesels is in a narrowish rev range, but if you're sitting in the passenger seat I'd say the car that'll leave the biggest imprssion would be a diesel purely based on the torque/sledgehammer delivery.

Personally I like the way the diesel delivers the power from the off, but the magic for me is what the 335i's got as a package its got more soul plus you've got a reasonable decent exhaust note that changes(when I had the BMW PE system on mine it sounded on epic simple as no other word I could use would put it better) and once rolling the power delivery with all the torque is effortless and goes to 6k plus.

However having sampled a couple of JB4 spec'd 335i's and a 135i that had a Cobb system aggression takes on a different meaning with these adjustable maps plus bogger intercoolers you with the 35i's can have a potent entertaining car on your hands....

There's positive and negitive points Sam for both cars some like one flavor more than the other and its all in the individual both can be desistating cars when set up but I have to say overall my foots in the camp of my daily driver.. Now a mapped 335d well set up well they can be something else.... But give me 97RON fuel anyday
      09-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #30
gazz1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Steve get your self a Cobb massive step up
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
I've driven a good few 335i's as well as a good few 330d'd mapped and std. Biggest thing that perhaps stands out with a diesel especially a mapped diesel(depends on the map of course and how its been set up)is th epower delivery. Torque from the word go, I had a 330d and to be fiar throttle response from the word go was nigh on instant(but that was how I requested it to be)but its was all power low down for me and that's what I got therefore it felt very muscular.

The later E9X series 330d's Ive driven in various states take this a good stage further they feel seriously pokey again especially on the mapped cars I;ve driven lower down you're using power from barely 800rpm say to 3800 or so rpm and when you look at the speedo you know your motoring but its the sensation the sheer pull you get from the diesels that stands out, I've got to say Idriven several Evolve cars don't know there state of tune but all felt very potent(though a tad spiky re power delivery) a couple of Simon's cars (E-Maps)felt as urgent but the power delivery was more acceptable more linier which overall to me felt more acceptable but equally as devestating in terms of speed acomplished. We've remapped a few too and I've got to say the diffference again with ours was between these two aggressive but oh so driveable. Point to point you'd struggle to keep up with one due to all that torque...

Now a 335i's something I thought long and hard about before saying yes, my main dilema was based on short journey / diesel usage = trouble we see too many diesels in with grief pumps, injectors and god knows what else they seem to not like short duration work and I;d seen enough through our doors in 4 months spending big money to have me look elsewhere. So a 335i it was.

Std there OK gangzoom's has pointed out the cars not exactly lacking out the box in terms of straightline speed, I think all the E9X cars struggle re our roads due to chassis set up, which is a shame (but thats another story)drive train again as gangzoom's pointed out seems OK, the later spec LCI auto boxes are better than my pre lci auto for instance but overall the manual/auto's are OK.

But on the drive especially when mapped and say the downpipes are repalced with catless items the 335i's awoken. I've had mine mapped by Simon who listened to what I wanted and delivered the goods mines very linier again but with the 335i torques there but the way the momentem builds is different to the diesels its builds and builds on revs get mine above 3500 and with you're foot down it changes charactor and it all starts to make sense, from tickover you've got a nice deep note which rises to a howl at higher speeds/deeper throttle inputs and I love that.

Sure you've got to work the petrol a little more where the diesel the muscle from the word go you've got to prod the 335i a little more to equate the urge you'd get from the diesel but it delivers like a drives car should through the rev range diesel yes feels quick but the power dleivery like all diesels is in a narrowish rev range, but if you're sitting in the passenger seat I'd say the car that'll leave the biggest imprssion would be a diesel purely based on the torque/sledgehammer delivery.

Personally I like the way the diesel delivers the power from the off, but the magic for me is what the 335i's got as a package its got more soul plus you've got a reasonable decent exhaust note that changes(when I had the BMW PE system on mine it sounded on epic simple as no other word I could use would put it better) and once rolling the power delivery with all the torque is effortless and goes to 6k plus.

However having sampled a couple of JB4 spec'd 335i's and a 135i that had a Cobb system aggression takes on a different meaning with these adjustable maps plus bogger intercoolers you with the 35i's can have a potent entertaining car on your hands....

There's positive and negitive points Sam for both cars some like one flavor more than the other and its all in the individual both can be desistating cars when set up but I have to say overall my foots in the camp of my daily driver.. Now a mapped 335d well set up well they can be something else.... But give me 97RON fuel anyday
      09-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #31
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I'm always amazed how quickly the torque and power comes in on the 335 compared to NA cars. Where with many NA cars you wouldn't want to be under say 3000 rpm, the 335 is happy way down just over 1000 rpm for daily driving. It is just like a diesel. Not the same as a 335D or a mapped 335D but again that's a top of the range monster diesel engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
WM

WM
Thanks for explaining WM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnekfatboy View Post
Same as power with a car to some degree, more performance is gained with better flow of fuel/gasses...

Hope that makes some sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post

I think both worlds have their merits and demerits.
If I can get 450miles / tank and can drive fast.... I do not think it is a wise move to go for 335i.

Thanks lads for your opinion. Just wanted to know why people go for 335i....and yes its addiction.