E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > CIC OWNERS - Please chime in

08-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

CIC OWNERS - Please chime in

This is an odd thread to raise.

It is nothing new knowing the CIC is a 1000% improvement on the old CCC System.

But i've been struggling to see the need for the upgrade.
Are the costs worth the upgrade?
Are the extra functions actually going to help me in anyway?

So maybe i am missing something. I have played with the CIC but never thought it offered anything more over the CCC for 'ME' and 'MY NEEDS' other than it looks awesome, and the controller is beautiful.

So i need convincing, whether or not its worth it in terms of functions and options.

I currently use my CCC to
- Check my oil levels, service intervals and any errors
I always leave it on the map screen but do not use navigation
I very rarely listen to radio.

I just prefer using my phone for navigation as its quick to use with touch screen
All my music is on Spotify which i have my iPad which stays in the car and if i need FB or Emails i just use that as it is tethered to my phones internet.

So what else can the CIC do which my phone, iPad or existing CCC can't?

Apart from the CCC looking dated, what makes the £1000 CIC upgrade so worthwhile?

Can the CIC utilise Spotify? How would it connect to the internet?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
That, my good man, is the same kind of debate I've been having with myself for a while - even moreso since my tax rebate was a lot less than anticipated recently, and I was talking to Sam about waxing the lot on a CIC upgrade!

The CIC being faster is something I was aware of, but having compared my "frankenstein" CCC/CIC mish-mash to the "pure" CCC professional in my wife's X5, mine is very much quicker navigating through menus and stuff - so I don't think i'd even get much of that benefit.

I'm not entirely sure....no....I know, I don't NEED it, but my inner gadget freak is screaming at me that I want it.
      08-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
That, my good man, is the same kind of debate I've been having with myself for a while - even moreso since my tax rebate was a lot less than anticipated recently, and I was talking to Sam about waxing the lot on a CIC upgrade!

The CIC being faster is something I was aware of, but having compared my "frankenstein" CCC/CIC mish-mash to the "pure" CCC professional in my wife's X5, mine is very much quicker navigating through menus and stuff - so I don't think i'd even get much of that benefit.

I'm not entirely sure....no....I know, I don't NEED it, but my inner gadget freak is screaming at me that I want it.
Hi Matey,

BTW i just messaged you on your FB page
Tell me a little about your CCC/CIC frankenstein.
The lag never bothered me too much... mainly because i never use it lol, but i really want my CIC controller to work... that is about it tbh

Even thinking about just doing a CCC V2 upgrade hahahah
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

I too would like to do the upgrade at some point the question is how much can you get for a complete second hand ccc unit. That's the real cost of the upgrade which obviously makes it much more reasonable cost. Provided of course people are even interested in buying ccc units. Is it required nope but for people into gadgets or modifying cars obviously the latest and greatest is what we all want
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
ArsE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
This is an odd thread to raise.

It is nothing new knowing the CIC is a 1000% improvement on the old CCC System.

But i've been struggling to see the need for the upgrade.
Are the costs worth the upgrade?
Are the extra functions actually going to help me in anyway?

So maybe i am missing something. I have played with the CIC but never thought it offered anything more over the CCC for 'ME' and 'MY NEEDS' other than it looks awesome, and the controller is beautiful.

So i need convincing, whether or not its worth it in terms of functions and options.

I currently use my CCC to
- Check my oil levels, service intervals and any errors
I always leave it on the map screen but do not use navigation
I very rarely listen to radio.

I just prefer using my phone for navigation as its quick to use with touch screen
All my music is on Spotify which i have my iPad which stays in the car and if i need FB or Emails i just use that as it is tethered to my phones internet.

So what else can the CIC do which my phone, iPad or existing CCC can't?

Apart from the CCC looking dated, what makes the £1000 CIC upgrade so worthwhile?

Can the CIC utilise Spotify? How would it connect to the internet?
For me, using the CCC to navigate was a pain so I would often use my phone. Now, CIC is excellent to navigate with so I leave my phone alone.

How do you get Spotify to play through your car sound system? Aux? I use Spotify through Bluetooth streaming which CIC handles well (with combox). Next/Previous track from the steering wheel is handy, as is the track information on the CIC display. With CCC, I used a Bluetooth gateway through the AUX port which is very much one-way (you can't control tracks from the steering wheel etc).

It's taking me a little while to get used to CIC (only had it 5 days) but it's generally quicker to navigate than CCC, has some cool features (not necessarily must-haves), and of course it's always good to 'upgrade'.

Also, watching American Psycho on DVD in traffic is cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I don't use navigation often, but when I do I want it to work well.
CCC is basic at best, and rather embarrassing for a 2005 car! Its no better graphically or functionally than the RNS-D sat nav was in my 2000 RS4. Terrible. Not to mention you can't even put a postcode in!
CIC nav is worlds apart in all areas, and therefore a worthy upgrade.
I understand what you're saying about using your phone, I too find using maps on my phone handy, but its not really practical to keep using your phone while trying to drive/navigate!

I have an 160gb iPod that lives in my armrest with thousands of tunes on. All controlled perfectly through the idrive with album art displayed too.

Having combox means I can also stream music from my phone, and it also displays the track info too. I can plug my phone into the armrest USB and stream web radio, all controlled via idrive, and all of the other Connected app add ons too. It displays text messages, handsfree calling and all the rest of it.

Basically it is a huge improvement all round!

I've never used Spotify personally, so can't comment on how it would integrate
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Its also worth noting CIC has a 12GB hard drive to store music on too.

Yes, its a big price to upgrade, but I spread that cost over 6 months buy the bits and bobs needed as they came up for sale either cheap or when I could afford them. Just because its over £1000 that doesn't mean you have to have the full cost in one hit.
The head unit and screen are the biggest chunk, then its cables, console trim and other bits which are all a lot cheaper.
Its also cheaper if you dont want combox, but you do need that for full iPod control and the Connected apps
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Been speaking to Josh about this and i too struggle with seeing the benefit to me.

One thing you guys said that rings alarm bells and got me excited is the ability to stream music and ability to use and ipod. Id love this but then again i could get this from a dension?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I had a Dension with my CCC, and yes it works but it is limited.
There is no album art, I couldn't fast forward or rewind a tune (only skip to the next one) and you have to navigate everything as if you are using a CD changer.
A Dension won't stream music via bluetooth either.

Its also worth noting that to buy the best Dension with MOST is a fair chunk towards CIC, especially if you are paying someone to code and install it!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I like the sound of controlling music etc from the steering buttons, or idrive.

I stream my music from my ipad through my belkin bluetooth which works very well for my needs.

I do not need artwork or anything as i always have my Map up anyway.
I don't need a hard drive as my ipad is fine and the majority of my music is Spotify anyway or Youtube

Is there anything special apart from Music & DVD? i don't watch whilst im in the car... and i don't own DVDs lol... So unless you can stream video then that is pointless...

Can you stream video? That would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You can play video via cable but don't think you stream it.
It sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself you don't need it!
Have you ever used CIC?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
You can play video via cable but don't think you stream it.
It sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself you don't need it!
Have you ever used CIC?
Yea i've used it.

Does everything my CCC does really... just faster and better looking.

I had a courtesy car with CIC and still used my phone for Navigation
Music was better to work with but my belkin bluetooth works just as well and my playlists are already setup so it isn't a ball ache looking for music.

I just love the controller of the CIC lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Josh. Mine is called "Business Navigation Advanced" or something, and has a single disc slot headunit (so looks like CIC), but you need the disc in for navigation with the map. Without the disc, you just get text directions and arrows as you approach junctions, etc. It also has the CIC style controller. As mentioned above, there is barely any lag going between menus,etc.

My system I too can control my ipod in the armrest.

I can choose playlist, album, song, artist, etc- and I can skip forward and back through tracks.

Doesn't show album art, but can't say as that bothers me in the slightest.

The bluetooth phone bit and the iPod controlling part I can re-use with the CIC, but the DAB unit from the CCC isnt' compatible.

Sam reckons getting a CIC system with DAB is rare as rocking horse shit, and thus costs a small fortune.

The Nav is the biggest let down. So fucking backwards it's untrue - but upwards (thanks to the DAB!) of £1000 of annoyance.....here's my dilemma.
      08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Sorry Josh, no help to the thread but any chance you can link me to the Belkin bluetooth device you talk about?
Does it just work through the AUX, eg. your car doesnt actually have BT?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Glass is half empty and half full.
Now there is few people who will say its half empty.
Other will say well its half full.

So there will always be two school of thoughts.

My opinion will be considered biased but I will like to mention one thing.

Those who want the things done, will get the things done. They will convince themselves on what they are getting.
Those who are time wasters, they keep moaning about and keep finding a reason for not going for CIC upgrade.

Enough said.
      08-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Josh. Mine is called "Business Navigation Advanced" or something, and has a single disc slot headunit (so looks like CIC), but you need the disc in for navigation with the map. Without the disc, you just get text directions and arrows as you approach junctions, etc. It also has the CIC style controller. As mentioned above, there is barely any lag going between menus,etc.

My system I too can control my ipod in the armrest.

I can choose playlist, album, song, artist, etc- and I can skip forward and back through tracks.

Doesn't show album art, but can't say as that bothers me in the slightest.

The bluetooth phone bit and the iPod controlling part I can re-use with the CIC, but the DAB unit from the CCC isnt' compatible.

Sam reckons getting a CIC system with DAB is rare as rocking horse shit, and thus costs a small fortune.

The Nav is the biggest let down. So fucking backwards it's untrue - but upwards (thanks to the DAB!) of £1000 of annoyance.....here's my dilemma.

THanks mate for that. Sounds perfect for my needs!!!

Does that mean you have the smaller square screen rather than the wide version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Sorry Josh, no help to the thread but any chance you can link me to the Belkin bluetooth device you talk about?
Does it just work through the AUX, eg. your car doesnt actually have BT?
This is it mate.
http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F4U037/

I bought mine for £24 off ebay.

YOu can see i have it to the bottom left of the steering wheel. Not the best pic
I just push the button when i start the car and it connects to my ipad immediately.

I do have bluetooth in the car but it only works with calls

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Found a better pic in my old interior.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
This is it mate.
http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F4U037/

[/IMG]
Brilliant thanks! That interior is so sexy
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Josh - yes mate, I have the smaller screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Glass is half empty and half full.
Now there is few people who will say its half empty.
Other will say well its half full.

So there will always be two school of thoughts.

My opinion will be considered biased but I will like to mention one thing.

Those who want the things done, will get the things done. They will convince themselves on what they are getting.
Those who are time wasters, they keep moaning about and keep finding a reason for not going for CIC upgrade.

Enough said.
Erm...I'm kind of getting the feeling that might be aimed at me Sam (although I don't recall moaning about my current system regularly!?)

To clear the air, just incase. I appreciate I did want to pick your brains about what the options were, and I apologise if that has been an issue - but like I said, I was expecting a nice tax rebate that never came to fruition, which trust me was just as bloody annoying for me.

I simply don't have a spare grand lying around at the moment.

It is still on my list of things to do, and it will be you that I'll come to as first choice - I'm just not sure when at the moment, as we're building an extension.

FWIW, I too get loads of people asking about detailing jobs, wanting it doing and then pulling out last minute after I've planned my weekends way in advance to accommodate it (including trying to see my daughter, who doesn't live with me). So yeah, even if it's not me you're alluding to, I do understand your frustration - and it's the time buggeration that's the annoyance in my case.
      08-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Josh - yes mate, I have the smaller screen

Erm...I'm kind of getting the feeling that might be aimed at me Sam (although I don't recall moaning about my current system regularly!?)
It may be aimed at me too. But no problem

I have been bugging him with SOO MANY QUESTIONS, for which I am sorry for.

But he is right.

If you really want it, you will convince yourself that you need it.

If you don't want it you will come up with any excuse under the sun.

But... for me right now... Once my centre is completed in time for Gaydon this Sunday, my new CIC controller is going in whether or not i can use my CCC... That is how little i use it, i wont even have a working controller hahah...

I will have to see how long i can survive before i cannot take it any longer and get the CIC or go for a CCC V2 unit, if i can get it for next to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
JP.Williams
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

by the sounds of it you will be happier with the V2 CCC

but then if you weigh up the cost of the V2 over the CIC i think that will be the decider.

you can get a Full CIC kit off internet for around £700 you already have the controller, so talk another £100 off the price.

an example which a quick ebay search

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-seri...item486bd80aca

listed for £800 but located in london give them a call find out exactly whats needed for the retro fit. Save a bomb and fit it yourself as they claim its "plug and play"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
So yeah, even if it's not me you're alluding to, I do understand your frustration
Russ
I am convinced that it is not aimed on you. Considering you have DAB and then upgrading to CIC with DAB is not an easy option. So its not aimed at you at all.