E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > For those whose dealerships found the chip...

01-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Is there a way to find out what has been "documented" by BMW service on your car?
      01-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #24
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
Just because they didn't say anything to you, doesn't mean they didn't see it.
Doom and gloom from an e90poster who does not even have a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Another reason for me to lean towards Dinan flash and avoid all those worries!

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Just because they didn't say anything to you, doesn't mean they didn't see it. I'm sure if they saw it, they would just document it in your file for when/if you have issues they can blame it on (in the future) and just point to that and void your warranty on those products that could be effected by the piggyback. I've already seen this happen once already.

Also, to those who think their dealership is cool with you having them installed...come in there with a blown motor and see if they will warranty it with your piggyback installed. It's really not up to them to warranty big stuff if the regional BMW rep comes out and looks at your car, sees the piggyback and refuses to pay for it. I'm telling you, 99% of those dealers will change their tune about your piggyback the second something happens. You can bet they've logged that you have one in your file in case something happens they can have their butts covered.
Good thing once i get back home I'm taking the JB2 out. And Ive only got about a year left on the lease.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Is there a way to find out what has been "documented" by BMW service on your car?
I know there are members on here who are BMW Master Tech's who can check. I won't say their names because I'm sure he does not want to be bombarded with requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
Doom and gloom from an e90poster who does not even have a piggyback.
I'm citing evidence. It has already happened. Me owning a piggyback really has nothing to do with my post. It does not disqualify any of my points.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #28
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Quote:
Me owning a piggyback really has nothing to do with my post. It does not disqualify any of my points.

Yeah, I could pontificate at length about Cambodian Temples, but I have never been in Cambodia. That would not disqualify any of my points, would it?

Last edited by WilyB; 01-17-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #29
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
Yeah, I could pontificate at length about Cambodian Temples, but I have never been in Cambodia. That would not disqualify any on my points, would it?
I'll say it again. I'm citing evidence FROM THIS SITE. Since you've now turned me off from caring about this thread. You can search for it yourself.

Funny how you try to help people and all you get is negative shots at your credibility. I'll let you guys find out the hard way then.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #30
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

They found mine. And was I surprised when they took me to the new addition of the dealership. Very clean.

Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic.
Attached Images

01-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
MSimeon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335I BSM

Quote:
Just because they didn't say anything to you, doesn't mean they didn't see it. I'm sure if they saw it, they would just document it in your file for when/if you have issues they can blame it on (in the future) and just point to that and void your warranty on those products that could be effected by the piggyback. I've already seen this happen once already.

Also, to those who think their dealership is cool with you having them installed...come in there with a blown motor and see if they will warranty it with your piggyback installed. It's really not up to them to warranty big stuff if the regional BMW rep comes out and looks at your car, sees the piggyback and refuses to pay for it. I'm telling you, 99% of those dealers will change their tune about your piggyback the second something happens. You can bet they've logged that you have one in your file in case something happens they can have their butts covered.
why would you bring ur blown motor to the dealer without taking out the piggyback?
      01-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSimeon View Post
why would you bring ur blown motor to the dealer without taking out the piggyback?
You can take it out. But my point is, if you've brought it in before and they knew you had it, they probably documented it. So that's evidence enough for them to not warranty the blown motor (assuming they can tie it all back to the piggyback).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #33
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
You can take it out. But my point is, if you've brought it in before and they knew you had it, they probably documented it. So that's evidence enough for them to not warranty the blown motor (assuming they can tie it all back to the piggyback).
what would there evidence b. a picture, a techs word? if they cant prove something was there and that caused the motor blowing up, how can they void the warranty. if they cant find nopthing except a tech documenting that he thought something was there at the time. ? just asking
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #34
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
All the people with 335i's at my dealership working there have a type of piggyback, mostly AA Xede, but they even install them on customers cars and warranty them as far as I know

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #35
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Thats true. While an error such as FM switching may have nothing to do with a piggyback installed, I'm pretty sure they will document it. It's protecting their interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcool911ok View Post
All the people with 335i's at my dealership working there have a type of piggyback, mostly AA Xede, but they even install them on customers cars and warranty them as far as I know
Yeah.. but they work there. I'm sure they are treated a bit differently. Do you see cops being pulled over? (not 100% accurate, but you get the picture)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #36
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Well over here we won't have to worry about what the dealer thinks when the AC Schnitzer chip comes out as it won't invalidate the BMW warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #37
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

yeah you have no clue which tech you will get and when they plug it into the comp and dl the codes...your fucked...my dealer said bmw is cracking down since so many tuners are all horny about this car!!!! i would never go in with a piggy back on...and my dealer is about as loose as it gets...they are super friendly and extremely honest!!! i would never do it!!! they told me specifically a few cars they had to void because of issues witht he tune and they said how it wasn't there descicion to make!!! they sent the report to bmw and bmw voided it based on codes found!!! they found the same codes that other dealers had found with tunes in there car!!! i wouldn't do it!!! then again those codes are gonna be there no matter what!!! you cannot delete them yet until a couple companies that are working on a fix come out with another reader that deletes them!!! until now your treading on thin ice..i would say less than 25% chance but i wouldn't risk it!!! bmw is cracking down!!! hell they told me how they voided an m5 who took it out on the highway right after purchase and floored it out of the lot..when he got home oil was all over the garage..he took t in and they had no choice but to void his warranty for improper break in and it cost him like 12k in parts... bmw is cracking down boys i would be very very careful!!!! my tech even pulled me aside to say watch out!!! it isn't up to the dealer the dealer can only do so much but if they cannot fix something they have to send the vehicle report to bmwag for answers via email...then an analyst goes through it and if he finds things that make it seem like there is a performance part on the car causing an issue he will void it!!! it's not worth the risk!!!! my dealer says your an idiot now if you come in with a piggy back on even for just an oil change!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #38
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Thanks for the great post purplewidow! I suspect deep down it would be hard to really refute your advice.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #39
DBville
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not yet

This is a comical argument. If a Tech sees a piggyback, and notes it, and a year later your motor blows, you remove the PB and go in for it to be warrantied. In the file, one year earlier was a note that a piggyback was installed, and BMWNA denies your warranty, what are you going to do - Sue them?

In Court you tell the judge that you never had an engine mod installed, and the Tech is lying. And what would his motive be? Your motive on the other hand would be to save yourself the $15k replacement cost. Now, exactly how are you going to convince that judge that you are not lying, and that Tech is? Bottom line - You are out legal fees (yours and possibly theirs!), and have to pay for the motor!!

Go ahead, leave it in...."if you want to play, you have to pay."

'08 E90 335i
Sparkling Graphite
PCD 11/28
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #40
bannanna hammock
Rep
Drives: 1969 amphi car

if you take your car in for an oil service, no one is paying attention to whether or not you have a chip.

they make thier money on how fast they get your oil service done, and not on picking up on your dumb mods.

the faster they get your car done, the faster they can bring in the next one.

there is no secret system where they mark down what mods you have incase you some day blow your engine.

if you bring it in for a blown engine, thats a different story, but even if you physically pull the chip/piggyback out, there are gonna be tell tale signs it was there.

orientblue, have you ever seen the conspiracy theory movie with mel gibson?

you are not mel gibson, stop theorizing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
As long as its not a lease, why should they care? Its your car.
Why do people keep bringing this up? Whether a car is leased, financed or bought outright has no bearing on the warranty on the car. They all have the same 4yr/50k.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #42
bulletproofuno
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: blk on blk e92 335ic

i have the coolest tech alive in bob smith calabasas... doesnt care if i swap the motor in my car, still would keep my waranty lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
bulletproofuno
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: blk on blk e92 335ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
yeah you have no clue which tech you will get and when they plug it into the comp and dl the codes...your fucked...my dealer said bmw is cracking down since so many tuners are all horny about this car!!!! i would never go in with a piggy back on...and my dealer is about as loose as it gets...they are super friendly and extremely honest!!! i would never do it!!! they told me specifically a few cars they had to void because of issues witht he tune and they said how it wasn't there descicion to make!!! they sent the report to bmw and bmw voided it based on codes found!!! they found the same codes that other dealers had found with tunes in there car!!! i wouldn't do it!!! then again those codes are gonna be there no matter what!!! you cannot delete them yet until a couple companies that are working on a fix come out with another reader that deletes them!!! until now your treading on thin ice..i would say less than 25% chance but i wouldn't risk it!!! bmw is cracking down!!! hell they told me how they voided an m5 who took it out on the highway right after purchase and floored it out of the lot..when he got home oil was all over the garage..he took t in and they had no choice but to void his warranty for improper break in and it cost him like 12k in parts... bmw is cracking down boys i would be very very careful!!!! my tech even pulled me aside to say watch out!!! it isn't up to the dealer the dealer can only do so much but if they cannot fix something they have to send the vehicle report to bmwag for answers via email...then an analyst goes through it and if he finds things that make it seem like there is a performance part on the car causing an issue he will void it!!! it's not worth the risk!!!! my dealer says your an idiot now if you come in with a piggy back on even for just an oil change!!!!!!!
thats not true, you could specificly ask for a certain tech, just like i do every time...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #44
bannanna hammock
Rep
Drives: 1969 amphi car

well thats great if you know who to pick.
Appreciate 0