E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vessel AIDA: Departed Jan 31 for Georgia then California

02-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #155
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

She's moving along well. That's good to see. She should be in port in about three or four hours, unless she gets held up like Asian Emperor yesterday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #156
Aaric
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
This is a little bit of a "get on my soap box" issue with me. I understand what they are doing and why the do it, but I don't agree with it. These cars are not a mass-produced item. Your local CA isn't dealing with the shipment of tens of thousands of products in a day. I think there should be some personalized service with these cars, especially for the customers who are really enthusiastic and excited about their purchase (it certainly is an expensive one!), and a lot of the time it doesn't happen. It's poor service. And yes, maybe it could take 10 days to get your car, but it could take three, so why can't they tell you that, too. Why can't they spend a few extra seconds explaining that it is variable situation instead of telling you, in essence, don't call back for ten days. Why is it that some CAs can handle it and some can't? I see it on this forum, the CAs that provide excellent service. It's just for some, they won't do it. I certainly wouldn't buy a second time from a CA that can't handle these sales skills. I have a wonderful saleswoman who checks the computer everyday for updates on her customer's cars and she emails or calls them anytime there is a change in status. I don't contact her, she contacts me. It only takes seconds to check the computer and how many calls would that be in a day? Two maybe?? It doesn't take a lot for them to give a little better service. That is what I think should happen with these CAs. I hear so many complaints on this forum from guys who aren't getting that type of service and I believe they should, for such an expensive car. Instead, once the papers are signed, they're more than happy to get rid of you.
I understand and agree to a certain extent. This particular dealer was about $1000 less on their quote than anyone else, so I'm not expecting a lot of personalized service. He's been pretty on top of where the car is in the process for the most part, but has always padded the end date by a little. Its pretty much what I expected when I placed the order, and had already discovered this site, and knew the tracking resources were available...and that I would obsess about it whether or not I was getting updates from my CA.

Additionally, he's been very responsive to my wife and I's questions and concerns about delivery, etc.

I'll withhold recommendations etc until I actually take delivery of the car, but I'm feeling pretty confident with my decision atm.

As for the Asian Emporer yesterday, it looked like it got caught up in the shipping lane behind another, slower ship. I doubt they allow passing ships with vessels the size of the car carriers, so it had to put along behind the slow boat.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #157
Aaric
Private
Rep

interesting, she's sneaking around Catalina atm, and skipping the shipping channel. That should cut out some time

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #158
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaric View Post
interesting, she's sneaking around Catalina atm, and skipping the shipping channel. That should cut out some time

I know. I thought that was interesting, too. That is why I was a little alarmed yesterday when I saw Asian Emperor in that shipping lane heading for LA. That was strange. Aida's path is more normal. Maybe someone was asleep at the wheel yesterday and was on auto-pilot towards LA.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #159
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
SPN & Aaric.

Many thanks for all your useful posts.

I've thought a lot about how CA's should or should not keep us informed. Here's how I see it....

I lean towards Aaric's point of view. Maybe that's because I've been a software developer for 40 years and scheduling things out of my control is a very important part of my job.

After observing my first and second orders over the last three months, I've learned that lots of unpredictable things happen. Some cars gets early production slots, others get late. Some cars sit at the ports of days or even weeks, others don't sit long. Some vessels stop on the east coast, others do not. Some vessels get delayed at the Panama Canal, others do not. And on and on...

So, is the CA supposed to spend a large percentage of his or her time tracking our purchases and keeping us informed or are they supposed to go after their next sale? My guy isn't making much money on my car. How much time should he spend tracking the car and informing me? And how many demanding BMW buyers would give him or her a bad time when things get delayed. As a brilliant colleague of mine once said: "It's all about managing expectations".

Here's a question for you? Should a M5 or M6 buyer get more tracking info from the CA than a 328 buyer? Probably. The CA makes a lot more money on those cars and he or she can afford to spend more time on the sale.

Seasoned veterans have to use their time wisely. This doesn't mean that a great CA can't bridge the gap and provide some tracking info. That's what I would do. I'd also hand my customers a well-prepared document that describes the entire process and how you can track your car. Most of us dug up this info the hard way on these forums. But we have to remember that many of these CA's aren't computer experts. They don't want to spend their days looking at computer screens like we do.

I've very happy with my CA. His name is John Daniel at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael, which is a little north of San Francisco. He's done his job perfectly.

Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #160
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
This doesn't mean that a great CA can't bridge the gap and provide some tracking info. That's what I would do. I'd also hand my customers a well-prepared document that describes the entire process and how you can track your car. Most of us dug up this info the hard way on these forums. But we have to remember that many of these CA's aren't computer experts. They don't want to spend their days looking at computer screens like we do.

I certainly don't expect them to track their customer's cars, but they can look at the BMW computer and see the latest status for the car and/or not give those "pat" answers that they oftentimes give. Those "pat" answers they give (and I read them all over this forum), just to get you off their backs, is what sends me over the top! I think your idea of handing out a well-prepared document regarding the process, with some additional resources for tracking, is a great idea. I have done this tracking on and off for two years. I would love to start a little tracking business. I think people would pay for a month or two of tracking services. The need is there. I see it here on this forum, the MB forums, the Porsche forums, the MiniCooper forums, etc. The $1300/year that AIS charges is way too much, and I have contacted them twice about them offering monthly AIS radar subscriptions, but they aren't interested. Maybe due to security issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #161
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Is shinemicro down? I can't seem to access it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #162
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's the latest AIS radar page.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #163
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
I would love to start a little tracking business. I think people would pay for a month or two of tracking services. The need is there. I see it here on this forum, the MB forums, the Porsche forums, the MiniCooper forums, etc.
That's a great idea. I would have paid a reasonable fee for a well written tracking guide, a road map of the entire process and up-to-date tracking info. It adds to the overall ownership experience, it's fun and it helps cut the pain of waiting.

Among other things, I develop web sites, so I could do it once I learned more about tracking alternatives, IF there are adequate tracking resources available.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #164
Aaric
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is shinemicro down? I can't seem to access it.
looks to be back up now.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #165
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's a great idea. I would have paid a reasonable fee for a well written tracking guide, a road map of the entire process and up-to-date tracking info. It adds to the overall ownership experience, it's fun and it helps cut the pain of waiting.

Among other things, I develop web sites, so I could do it once I learned more about tracking alternatives, IF there are adequate tracking resources available.
vesseltracker.com has a tiered subscription tracking web site, but they only have coverage of the English Channel. Maybe some day it will be offered worldwide.

The other idea I had was for the the dealerships to offer AIS to their customers for them to track their own cars. Wouldn't that be nice?! Last summer, my dealership asked me to track a (high-profile) client's car for them, which I did. But, it would have helped a lot to have the paid subscription level of services that AIS offers, in order for me to do the job and I was tempted to ask them to do that. It would have been a nice perk for the client to have better up-to-date tracking and/or maybe he would have liked to do it himself. I was tracking his car with the delayed crippled version. It wouldn't cost the dealership that much per client to offer the AIS service and they do have a lot of clients who want to know where there cars are in the process.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #166
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
looks to be back up now.
Has she slowed down? I went out for awhile and came back and it doesn't look like she's moved very far.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #167
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The data feed I am looking at is old.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #168
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I take that back. The data feed is current.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #169
Aaric
Private
Rep

She looks stopped.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #170
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
She looks stopped.
Good news. She's actually moving. Shinemicro has stopped!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #171
Aaric
Private
Rep

wooo
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #172
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
If she docks this afternoon and unloads her cargo, when do you think we'll have our cars? I'm in the SF Bay Area. How about the central coast? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #173
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If she docks this afternoon and unloads her cargo, when do you think we'll have our cars? I'm in the SF Bay Area. How about the central coast? Thanks.
I would check the threads of the ships who have recently docked, like Hudson Leader and Aphrodite Leader. Their euro deliveries are taking a long time, but the regular priority 1 orders are being processed fairly quickly. It seems as if it takes a few days to get your car if you live in SF. But, check those threads as that is updated data.

My first SL (euro delivery) arrived in port on a Friday, went through customs and VPC on Monday and was trucked to Utah on Thursday. I received my car the following Friday after the ship docked. In other words it took seven days after the ship docked in LA for my car to arrive at the dealership. Not too bad. And my car's trucking company kept me updated every step of the way. They delivered my car in the middle of the night, so when I awoke Friday morning at 6 a.m., I had an email from them that my car had been delivered three hours before. So, I knew my car was at my dealership before my dealership opened.

Also, I think the port people unload the cars and the trucking companies truck cars seven days a week, but I think the customs office shuts down on the weekends. But, your cars should clear customs by Saturday for sure. Also, I have posted this on other threads, but Waggoneers (or however you spell it!) Trucking Co is BMWs trucking contractor. They are the ones who will truck your car to the dealership. They have a great 1-800 customer service number that once your car is released to them, they can keep you updated as to your car's location. Their phone number is on the Asian Emperor thread from yesterday. I will dig it up again. You will need your VIN number.

Although, first give your car 24 hours to get offloaded from the ship, then check with your CA, BMW 1-800 number, and/or Owner's Circle for the status on your car. I wouldn't call Waggonners until you know your car has been released to them, or a couple days have gone by.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #174
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I posted this yesterday on the other thread:

Once she docks, I would check with BMW for updates; either your CA, Owner's Circle, their 1-800 number, etc first. The computer should/will have a status report as your car moves from "In port" to "At VPC" to "Released for trucking" etc. Once your car has been released to Waggoneers Trucking, give them a call. They can keep you posted where your car is while it is being trucked and give you an ETA to dealership.

Here is Waggoneer Trucking's phone number.

Give them the last seven numbers of your VIN. But, don't start calling until your car has been released to trucking. They probably don't like hundreds of people calling at once.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #175
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

An update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #176
Aaric
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'd say best case is 3 days. I'm guessing mine will likely end up at my dealer in Chico sometime between Saturday and Monday, which means I will be able to schedule a rental car to go get it Monday or Tuesday. But the drive is saving me around $2000, and I'll get some quality drive time in the new vehicle otw back

Worst case, it could be a lot longer. If for some reason your car needs repairs at the VPC, you could have to wait for the body shop to tear down your car, repaint, bake it, and then reassemble the car. I'd say you'd be lucky if that is done inside a week

Realistically, we can spy on the Asian Emporer thread and see when people get their updates, and guesstimate we're about a day behind though.
Appreciate 0