E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Sensor under gasket ?

06-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
soarhigh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Garage List
Sensor under gasket ?

Ok guys, I just did my cover gasket replacement. At the end the mechanic said there is some sort of oil sensor that is leaking and needs to be replaced. The only way to access this sensor is by removing the cover gasket. The sensor cost $600 and he said I probably have 2 months before it goes. I want to try to find the sensor somewhere online to potentially see if I can get it for cheaper. Does anyone know a place to look and the exact name of this sensor? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
e90mbition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

is he talking maybe about the eccentric shaft sensor seal? thats the circle plug with the wire coder to front of the car on the valve cover.

Mine is seeping a little too and was wondering if it can be changed without removing the valve cover as my VCG is fine. One shop told me that in order for that eccentric shaft sensor seal to be removed, the valve cover would have to be removed, while others say it can just be pryed off. Not sure who is correct as the valve cover is made of plastic
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
soarhigh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mbition
is he talking maybe about the eccentric shaft sensor seal? thats the circle plug with the wire coder to front of the car on the valve cover.

Mine is seeping a little too and was wondering if it can be changed without removing the valve cover as my VCG is fine. One shop told me that in order for that eccentric shaft sensor seal to be removed, the valve cover would have to be removed, while others say it can just be pryed off. Not sure who is correct as the valve cover is made of plastic
Follow up, so indeed that's what he was talking about. The dealer told me the cover valve has to come off to along with the indy. So I didn't hear any other option ... Kinda sucks because they said now they gotta get new aluminum bolts and this and that and will probably cost $600 for the part and $250 for labour. Cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarhigh View Post
Follow up, so indeed that's what he was talking about. The dealer told me the cover valve has to come off to along with the indy. So I didn't hear any other option ... Kinda sucks because they said now they gotta get new aluminum bolts and this and that and will probably cost $600 for the part and $250 for labour. Cheers mate
Is the sensor leaking or the ~$15 seal ( 11127559699 ) around it leaking?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
soarhigh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Quote:
Is the sensor leaking or the ~$15 seal ( 11127559699 ) around it leaking?
It's the actual sensor that's leaking. I'm assuming I'll need a new seal to?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
It's the actual sensor that's leaking. I'm assuming I'll need a new seal to?
Probably... it gets put in the valve cover.
Appreciate 0