E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need new supplies - suggestions?

06-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Need new supplies - suggestions?

Hello All!

First let me say I am no means a professional, or probably even good at detailing but I do like to do it myself and am just looking for some advice on supplies

Anyway, I am running low on my current stuff and am thinking about trying some new products. I previously had a Jet Black 335 and I liked how that would always come out; however, now I now have a LeMans Blue 335i and I am really looking for some products to really enhance the paint. I also would like something durable.

To note, I do everything by hand - not sure if that will influence any decisions.

Here are my current steps/products:
- Clay
- P21S for Polish / Prep
- Klasse AIO (if needed - but rarely do it)
- Klasse Sealant Glaze for Sealeant
- Chemical Guys 50/50 for Wax

Let me know your thoughts on some good alternatives for Sealant and Wax.

Much appreciated!

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Hey mike5809 ... I think you would really enjoy the Menzerna Power Lock or Blackfire Wet Diamond sealants. Each product is a breeze to use, and provides a great layer of protection that also looks fantastic on top of nicely polished paint! For either product, simply spread a thin layer across the entire vehicle, then go back and wipe off with a quality microfiber towel. Removal is a breeze when you apply it thin, and it is common to see at least 4-6 months of durability out of each of these products...... they both happen to also be on sale through this weekend too

While you certainly don't need to top a sealant with a wax, if you do enjoy applying a wax, Pinnacle Souveran has always been my personal favorite. Pete's 53 is a great budget friendly option. These products are also on sale through the weekend, so check them out!

Let me know if you would like any recommendations on other products! I'm happy to help.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

For the price you can't beat Pinnacle Souveran (especially for dark colored cars). You could also go with Collinite 845 as a long lasting lsp.
Applying by hand (especially if you are trying to do some corrective work) is not the most efficient method for detailing (though I pre-dominately do it by hand as well). You may be better off using the products you currently are using (which are pretty good) and spending that money on a good orbital buffer (like a Porter Cable 7424XP).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks so much Zach and Jerry!

I will look into the Menzerna Powerlock and Pinnacle Souveran. I typically do put a coat of wax on top of my sealant - not sure if it is needed or not but it just became habit of mine. I typically liked the Klasse Sealant - it used to be a PIA to remove but I realized I was using way too much. Once I reduced the amount it wasn't as bad. However, it never seemed to last the 4-6 months which everyone else was experiencing - perhaps why I started to add the top coat of wax. By now my Klasse bottle is about 3 years old - could this be the reason why it doesn't last as long, does it break down?

Anyway, you both provided some great feedback which I really appreciate. I previously purchased my products through AutoGeek but I think I am going to try to take advantage of the sales today and purchase through DetailedImage

Thanks so much!

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
Thanks so much Zach and Jerry!

I will look into the Menzerna Powerlock and Pinnacle Souveran. I typically do put a coat of wax on top of my sealant - not sure if it is needed or not but it just became habit of mine. I typically liked the Klasse Sealant - it used to be a PIA to remove but I realized I was using way too much. Once I reduced the amount it wasn't as bad. However, it never seemed to last the 4-6 months which everyone else was experiencing - perhaps why I started to add the top coat of wax. By now my Klasse bottle is about 3 years old - could this be the reason why it doesn't last as long, does it break down?

Anyway, you both provided some great feedback which I really appreciate. I previously purchased my products through AutoGeek but I think I am going to try to take advantage of the sales today and purchase through DetailedImage

Thanks so much!
OP, didn't you put your car for sale? just wondering that what happened to sale ad?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
OP, didn't you put your car for sale? just wondering that what happened to sale ad?
I was contemplating it due to my wife and I purchasing another house. However we decided to keep the car as it has been reliable and still has the factory warranty then 2 years of CPO.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I can attest the Menzerna power lock is great.
      06-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
SilberSurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
I was contemplating it due to my wife and I purchasing another house. However we decided to keep the car as it has been reliable and still has the factory warranty then 2 years of CPO.
Great looking wheels. What kind are those?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberSurfer View Post
Great looking wheels. What kind are those?
They are Starke LS2 in GunMetal I believe. Not great quality - similar to what is on the market for the $1,000 range. They do look good though!

Appreciate 0