E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Service Engine Light Comes On During Long Trips

12-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Finally got the codes...or code, read.

Code: P0015
Description: B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1

...So my engine is retarded? lol
But for real, I couldn't find anything definitive on what it this means. Is it vanos, is it the camshaft sensor, or is it something else? I just had my buddy read the codes so he didn't have a definitive answer for me.

I'm just hoping it's something relatively simple so I don't have to take it back to the shop.
      12-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #24
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

I got B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1 before when I first got my car. It had something to do with the oil. I think it was too low when they sold it to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #25
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
That's interesting. Could also swap the cam sensors across to see if the fault follows?

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #26
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Reviving this from the dead.

After some research, it sounds the likely culprit was a bad intake camshaft position sensor so I just replaced it last night. I'm going on a road trip this weekend so that'll be the true test to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then back to the drawing board. I'm confident that this should fix the problem.
      03-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post

After some research, it sounds the likely culprit was a bad intake camshaft position sensor so I just replaced it last night. I'm going on a road trip this weekend so that'll be the true test to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then back to the drawing board. I'm confident that this should fix the problem.
I just got that code too, it's the exhaust camshaft position timing. at least that's what it read. Is it a different code for intake camshaft sensor???
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:

I gather is sorted out your car's problem then?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You might have a failing eccentric shaft sensor.

Pull the engine cover and disconnect the eccentric shaft sensor harness. Oil inside? The sensor has failed.

Oil leaking into the sensor will add capacitance to the readings and provide inaccurate shaft positions. This often throws faults for related systems but not the ess itself. The ess is still operating within range but it will throw the valvetronic and vanos systems off. It can also throw camshaft timing faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #30
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
I just got that code too, it's the exhaust camshaft position timing. at least that's what it read. Is it a different code for intake camshaft sensor???
This was my code...

After the research I conducted, I learned bank 1 is the intake side and I believe bank 2 is the exhaust side. Not sure what the code is for the exhaust side though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I gather is sorted out your car's problem then?
Yessir. Drove 4+ hours and car never acted up once. Drove with the A/C on as well, which usually gave a higher probability of the car going into its limp mode for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
You might have a failing eccentric shaft sensor.

Pull the engine cover and disconnect the eccentric shaft sensor harness. Oil inside? The sensor has failed.

Oil leaking into the sensor will add capacitance to the readings and provide inaccurate shaft positions. This often throws faults for related systems but not the ess itself. The ess is still operating within range but it will throw the valvetronic and vanos systems off. It can also throw camshaft timing faults.
Well the car is running perfectly now since replacing the camshaft positioning sensor, so I'm not too concerned with checking the eccentric shaft sensor at this point. Definitely learned a lot from this so next time the car starts acting up, which I'm sure is just only a matter of time, I'll have plenty of things to troubleshoot.
      03-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #31
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
This was my code...

After the research I conducted, I learned bank 1 is the intake side and I believe bank 2 is the exhaust side. Not sure what the code is for the exhaust side though.
That's weird because I got the same code and I replaced my exhaust CPS. And now I think I'm getting a code for bank 1... lol
Appreciate 0