E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Overheating question

11-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
JonPol212
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Overheating question

I looked around on the forums and can't find the answer to my question, I have a 2011 bmw 335i and yesterday I drove about 30 minutes away to stop by a store when I got back into my car and turned it on I heard the fan sounded like it was working harder then normal and when I got back onto the highway the yellow high engine temperature light came on followed by the red light which informed me to turn engine off immediately so I pulled over and did so. I waited a while and let the car cool off turned it on and made it home without it overheating again. I waited a couple hours let it cool off again then checked the coolant and noticed it was very low so I stopped by BMW to buy the coolant, the guy at the parts counter suggested that I most likely have a leak somewhere, but the low coolant light never came up. I filled the coolant to the required level and checked for leaks over and under and don't see anything. I also drove a couple miles today and no overheating issue. I was just wondering is it possible the coolant was just low or is this a more serious problem like maybe the water pump. I just don't want to run into a problem and have to be towed or something and also don't want to pay the $150 diagnostic for them to tell me nothing is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPol212 View Post
I looked around on the forums and can't find the answer to my question, I have a 2011 bmw 335i and yesterday I drove about 30 minutes away to stop by a store when I got back into my car and turned it on I heard the fan sounded like it was working harder then normal and when I got back onto the highway the yellow high engine temperature light came on followed by the red light which informed me to turn engine off immediately so I pulled over and did so. I waited a while and let the car cool off turned it on and made it home without it overheating again. I waited a couple hours let it cool off again then checked the coolant and noticed it was very low so I stopped by BMW to buy the coolant, the guy at the parts counter suggested that I most likely have a leak somewhere, but the low coolant light never came up. I filled the coolant to the required level and checked for leaks over and under and don't see anything. I also drove a couple miles today and no overheating issue. I was just wondering is it possible the coolant was just low or is this a more serious problem like maybe the water pump. I just don't want to run into a problem and have to be towed or something and also don't want to pay the $150 diagnostic for them to tell me nothing is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.
How many miles? Do you have the means to check for shadow codes? My guess, water pump and thermo. If shadow codes show 2e81 /82 its wp.
      11-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
JonPol212
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
How many miles? Do you have the means to check for shadow codes? My guess, water pump and thermo. If shadow codes show 2e81 /82 its wp.
Just hit 37000 miles, and no I don't unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

As another owner of a 2011, I'm thinking you have a failing waterpump. Mine went last Fall and I've seen many other owners of 2011 on this board also fail in the last 6 months.

You need to have the codes read to confirm it is the waterpump. Is your car still under warranty? At 37K, depending on when in 2011/2012 it was sold, you could still be under warranty. I would ask the dealer about covering this under warranty quickly. The waterpump will be an $800 repair out of warranty at the dealer.
      11-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
JonPol212
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
As another owner of a 2011, I'm thinking you have a failing waterpump. Mine went last Fall and I've seen many other owners of 2011 on this board also fail in the last 6 months.

You need to have the codes read to confirm it is the waterpump. Is your car still under warranty? At 37K, depending on when in 2011/2012 it was sold, you could still be under warranty. I would ask the dealer about covering this under warranty quickly. The waterpump will be an $800 repair out of warranty at the dealer.
that's what I am worried about, I am 7 months out of warranty. I have driven car today and have had no problems with overheating but don't know if i am taking a chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #6
The Wildcard
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am sorry to agree its also your water pump. I had same warning signs for about 3-4 weeks where I could hear the cooling fan try to ramp up loudly when idle when I was outside my car. This iterally had happened to me 3 weeks ago. I also have 37k miles on a 2011 335i. Difference was I was on the freeway when I got my overheat warning. Pretty scary as car went into limp shutdown mode. Pulled over to the side, waited 2 mins and then restarted the car.

Brought it into the dealer and luckily I was 2 weeks away from the end of my free 4 year maintenance. They replaced my water pump and thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
JonPol212
United_States
Rep

I stopped by a local mechanic and he checked the codes for me and you guys are right it's the water pump and thermostat unfortunately. He suggested not to drive much as it can fail at any time and told me he would charge $750 that is a pretty good price compared to others I have seen just not sure how good of a mechanic he is as I was not recommended by anyone. Sucks I haven't even had the car a year yet but thanks appreciate the help guys
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

$750 is good deal and realistically is only an electric water pump held by few sews and now a rocket science. If you are not mechanically inclined yourself is not correct to pass on a judgement whether that mechanic is good or not solely because nobody recommended them. If that is your criteria then go to a dealer and open up your wallet for at least double that amount. Since they were able to determine what is wrong one should only asume they will repair it correctly. Fix it before it turns into a bigger and more costly issue. Respectfully ,
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

You are one of the unlucky ones who had the wp fail so early. $750 is a decent price, just make sure it includes the thermostat and new bolts. Replace it immediately and hope the new one will last longer. Then save up some cash for when the starter dies in about 50k.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
JonPol212
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
$750 is good deal and realistically is only an electric water pump held by few sews and now a rocket science. If you are not mechanically inclined yourself is not correct to pass on a judgement whether that mechanic is good or not solely because nobody recommended them. If that is your criteria then go to a dealer and open up your wallet for at least double that amount. Since they were able to determine what is wrong one should only asume they will repair it correctly. Fix it before it turns into a bigger and more costly issue. Respectfully ,
I never said he was a bad mechanic just prefer getting referred to one, if you're saying every mechanic is good idk who you're trying to fool, anyways i got lucky and BMW covered everything for me
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
JonPol212
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
You are one of the unlucky ones who had the wp fail so early. $750 is a decent price, just make sure it includes the thermostat and new bolts. Replace it immediately and hope the new one will last longer. Then save up some cash for when the starter dies in about 50k.
Is the starter another common problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPol212 View Post
Is the starter another common problem?
Based on what I've read it's quite common. You will see some slow crank symptoms. Mine died at 90k miles and within the same day the symptoms started.
Appreciate 0