E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Ready to install headers and intake

03-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #23
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

thanks to everyone for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

First of all... Congrats man and welcome to the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Back to the test drive.
Sounds - Its not loud or quite , I actually like it as it has a bit of a roar. I know over time this will change so I will have to wait and see
You will not hear anything inside of the car. Give it few miles (about a hundred) and listen to the noise from the outside. Inside noise will not change.

Quote:
Smell- zero smell in cabin , I know some people were asking
To my recollection, you were the only one who brought up this issue.
Quote:
power - I must say the car pulls harder specially in the 3-5 rpm range, unfortunately there was a lot of traffic so I did not have many chances to get it there. The car was just tuned too so I m guessing the power may get better as I drive more ( same as with the AA tune)
that is where you will feel the most difference. However, it will just scream up to 7k rpm.

Quote:
I made a little video , please keep in mind a few things , I never fully press the gas pedal to the floor as I really dont like doing it on my car ( yes I know) and I also took to red lime ( 6 000 rpm) for a little bit for the sakes of showing how the car pulls.
Why not? You are not hurting anything. If they didn't want you to rev it that high, they wouldn't have made the redline at 7k. Floor it man. You got nothing to lose. I promise, you will not hurt your car. Hell, i spin mine up to 7k+ every opportunity I get. 35mph in 1st gear with the engine bouncing at 7+k is smile inducing.

Quote:
1 this video is before the test, I only pushed the car hard for a bit since this is a road monitor by cops . I was surprised on how slow it looked on the video , it def feels faster live
new noises will do that to you.
Quote:
I ll try posting another video in a week or so after adaptations are done and once I get a feel on the car. I m still in the test period , making sure everything else is ok
Just remember to check the bolts after about a week or so.

Enjoy your new car my friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #25
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
First of all... Congrats man and welcome to the club.

You will not hear anything inside of the car. Give it few miles (about a hundred) and listen to the noise from the outside. Inside noise will not change.

To my recollection, you were the only one who brought up this issue.

that is where you will feel the most difference. However, it will just scream up to 7k rpm.

Why not? You are not hurting anything. If they didn't want you to rev it that high, they wouldn't have made the redline at 7k. Floor it man. You got nothing to lose. I promise, you will not hurt your car. Hell, i spin mine up to 7k+ every opportunity I get. 35mph in 1st gear with the engine bouncing at 7+k is smile inducing.

new noises will do that to you.

Just remember to check the bolts after about a week or so.

Enjoy your new car my friend.
thanks !

I will make another video once adaptations are in place and I ll floor it this time

I took the car for another drive to home depot, I forgot all the things I had on my trunk , 2 packs of 24 bottles of water, the old headers ( they are heavy compare to aa headers) , the old intake , and the other intake I bought by mistake. I took everything out and went for a drive , car felt so light and acceleration was so smooth , no problems getting up to speed.

I ll check the screws next week , thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
rick100
Colonel
Rep

I have to get used to the 3 stage intake . The car seems to hold at 4000 rpm under normal acceleration , like you can see in the second video , however if I press the gas further it just opens up after 4000 rpm and climbs quickly to 6500 rpm. With the old intake the car just rev up to 6000 without any holding under normal acceleration .

The main difference is with the old intake I never really felt the kick after 4000 rpm , with the 3 stage intake you can feel the extra push ( when the disa valves open). In sports mode it does not hold back though .

If I push the car in normal mode it also does not hold back and revs all the way to red line , it just happens under normal acceleration , its like the car likes to stay under 4000 rpm .

It could also be that I m not used to the disas kicking in so it just seems different now . I love it!

I m guessing over time once adaptations are complete it will be more smooth. Not a complaint but it is the main difference I found with the 3 stage intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #27
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Try contacting Bob at BPC about his ALFA N tune, otherwise if peak power isn't your goal, a AA of the shelf is one of the best.

Can't wait till it's my turn...again.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Try contacting Bob at BPC about his ALFA N tune, otherwise if peak power isn't your goal, a AA of the shelf is one of the best.

I drove the car to work today , it feels better than yesterday , sounds better, pulls harder.

I m finding hard to keep my foot off the gas . I even took it for a spin at break time

Again it's not crazy fast but it just brings the car to life , that is for sure

I m going to do a air filter mod next. My mechanic has it in his race car , he modified the air box so air flows from the front better with a k & g drop in filter. Its not crazy performance increase but I ll try it and report back
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post

I have the AA off road tune, everything was done yesterday . I think the tune is kicking in as the car feels more responsive the more I drive it

I m surprised that my idle is perfect. My mechanic said you have to reset adaptations otherwise you ll get erratic idle at first.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
I drove the car to work today , it feels better than yesterday , sounds better, pulls harder.

I m finding hard to keep my foot off the gas . I even took it for a spin at break time

Again it's not crazy fast but it just brings the car to life , that is for sure

I m going to do a air filter mod next. My mechanic has it in his race car , he modified the air box so air flows from the front better with a k & g drop in filter. Its not crazy performance increase but I ll try it and report back
Do the Rev motoring elbow, the carbon filter delete, and then snorkel and it will feel a bit better. Glad you like it. My car was pretty quick at top end, and the tune wasn't even the header tune (different company) at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #31
rick100
Colonel
Rep

I m being a little paranoid but I have to ask

Today after some spirited driving I was parking my car inside my garage and I noticed a sweet type burned smell in the air. I opened the hood and its not really there. Started the car inside the garage , rev it a little bit and the smell is there again.

I took the car for a drive again and I blasted the hot and cold air in the cabin , zero smell inside the car, opened the window and I get not smell. At the light I put my window down and rev the car a little bit , smell was there

I got home a put my nose in the mufler at idle and I could smell it a little bit , so Im assuming the smell is coming from the mufler. Is this normal? I read somewhere this is the residue oil in the headers burning out and it will eventually go away.

I really dont remember this smell yesterday or today in the morning , then again there is a lot of cars on the road and I always drive with the windows up .

Any help from people with headers?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #32
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Oils from headers.

Hell, when I installed mine, headers started smoking so hard we thought car was on fire. Lol

But also keep in mind, you removed set of catalytic converters and your exhaust is now dirtier / smellier.

Probably normal. Also, I think since you did all that work to the car, your senses are heightened and you might be noticing things that you wouldn't have noticed before.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #33
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oils from headers.

Hell, when I installed mine, headers started smoking so hard we thought car was on fire. Lol

But also keep in mind, you removed set of catalytic converters and your exhaust is now dirtier / smellier.

Probably normal. Also, I think since you did all that work to the car, your senses are heightened and you might be noticing things that you wouldn't have noticed before.
so are the oil from the headers going to go away at some point over time?

Yea for sure I m on the paranoid side , and I know there will be some smell . But I was expecting a fuel type of smell , not an oil type of smell. Its like a sweet burning smell
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #34
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Depends how hot you run it. Give it about 500miles.

Did you coat and wrap your headers? (I'm running mine naked)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #35
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Depends how hot you run it. Give it about 500miles.

Did you coat and wrap your headers? (I'm running mine naked)
no coating or wrapping. already spent enough money on these mods.

Did the smell went away after 500 miles in your headers?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 03:45 AM   #36
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100
I m being a little paranoid but I have to ask

Today after some spirited driving I was parking my car inside my garage and I noticed a sweet type burned smell in the air. I opened the hood and its not really there. Started the car inside the garage , rev it a little bit and the smell is there again.

I took the car for a drive again and I blasted the hot and cold air in the cabin , zero smell inside the car, opened the window and I get not smell. At the light I put my window down and rev the car a little bit , smell was there

I got home a put my nose in the mufler at idle and I could smell it a little bit , so Im assuming the smell is coming from the mufler. Is this normal? I read somewhere this is the residue oil in the headers burning out and it will eventually go away.

I really dont remember this smell yesterday or today in the morning , then again there is a lot of cars on the road and I always drive with the windows up .

Any help from people with headers?
That smell is normal after headers install and your exhaust will smell sweet also since all the coating of oil and chemicals inside/outside are still burning away.
      03-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #37
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusive View Post
That smell is normal after headers install and your exhaust will smell sweet also since all the coating of oil and chemicals inside/outside are still burning away.
thank you !

I was actually reading other forums and it is exactly like you said
Appreciate 0