E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > The great Canadian Dollar... Where do you get your Parts?

03-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
thatpolygon
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

The great Canadian Dollar... Where do you get your Parts?

Long story short, I've priced out a set of OE Replacement Bilsten shocks and struts and the despite free shipping from an Ontario Retailer, it's $621 CAD.

Quite a steep compared to $291 USD on ECS for the same kit.

I'm just trying to refresh my dampers, this feels high :/

Anyone have their go to retailers/suppliers?
      03-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
F30-3'ER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I E92 Coupe

A GREAT option, is to go ahead, and order from ECS Tuning, and ship it to the border. I.see that your in London. Not sure how far you are from Detroit, but you can use a service called "Kinek". This service is affiliated with UPS. Kinek allows you to ship to the border. They charge a $5-$10 fee depending on wieght. You drive over the border, pay the fee, pickup your shocks, open the box, put the shocks in your trunk, buy a couple of bottled of alcholol, declare it at the border when your coming back, and your good to go. I live in Toronto, and I have bought A LOT of parts from our US members, using this service, and have never had a problem. We pay a VERY high mark up for parts here in Canada. Anyway, check it out, and best of luck dude!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

So declaring the alcohol would avoid getting busted on the shocks purchase?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
F30-3'ER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Lol! No way. All I am saying, is that we get KILLED on the price for parts for our cars, here in beautiful Canada. Even with the conversion, shipping, duties etc, it usually turns out cheaper. Places like Rock Auto, ECS etc. Honestly, I dont drink at all, but my brothers, and freinds do. So when I go to pickup parts that I have purchased, I pick up a few bottles of whatvever they like, and declare them.

I have never once had an issue, and it would be extrememly difficlult, for customs to prove that you bought your parts in the USA when they're no in boxes, no packaging, and even more so if they're used parts.Like I said, I've been doing this for years, with no issues. Not even once. Or worst case for OP....is to declare it....he will STILL be saving money if the Customs officer makes him pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Hahah thanks for the clarification. But if we don't declare the parts and for some reason customs demands to see the trunk and come across the parts in pristine condition, wouldn't they blacklist us so we get hassled every time we cross the border in the future?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Captain Canuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Hahah thanks for the clarification. But if we don't declare the parts and for some reason customs demands to see the trunk and come across the parts in pristine condition, wouldn't they blacklist us so we get hassled every time we cross the border in the future?
Yes they would. Customs can also search your phone and emails if they think you're hiding something or lying. Also, buying wine or alcohol if you've been gone less than 48 hours you end up getting raped on fees. I believe it's 39% of converted US value on wine and 62% on spirits, plus tax plus a small admin fee. Beer is not bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I pick up my parts across the border and declare them and have never had to pay anything at the border. I wouldn't risk being caught because I'd die if I were ever banned from the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I pick up my parts across the border and declare them and have never had to pay anything at the border. I wouldn't risk being caught because I'd die if I were ever banned from the US.
I do the same thing as Ms. T. I have always declared the parts I have purchased at the border (or anything for that matter) and I have not had to pay any other fees or taxes. Although, I believe, both her and I have Nexus passes so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
F30-3'ER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I totally understand, and respect everyones opinions, views, and concerns. But like I said, been doing this for years, and have NEVER once been hassled, questioned, or searched. Customs officers know how many times you cross the border, and how long. I go very frequently (2 weeks ago, and will be going next week) Being a visible minority, you'd think at least 1 time in the years, and years I've been doing this at least once I'd get some type of questioning....maybe I've just been lucky? Maybe, but to each there own, but like i already said, OP will STILL save $$, if they ship, and pickup over the border and declare it......or save even more by taking my route lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Another option is RockAuto. They actually have reasonable shipping rates to Canada, assuming everything comes from the same warehouse. They collect the duty and GST up front so there are no additional charges. Don't forget to look up a 5% coupon code!

Last edited by The Nightman; 03-24-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
F30-3'ER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thats true. Rock Auto might just be OP's best bet. Best prices I've seen online so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Dr. Thrillride
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i

I buy in the US when there are good specials, especially from getbmwparts, ship to Point Roberts, cross the border, and bring them back. I am a Nexus card holder, so you don't ever try anything like what was suggested.

For others, if you ever want a NEXUS card to get you through the airports quicker or across the border quicker, you'll never get it if they flag you for being caught not declaring, 'whatever'. I know first hand as a friend was caught and she was denied a NEXUS card for that reason alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
F30-3'ER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Like I said...I've been doing this for years. Never had an issue, never searched, never hassled, never questiioned....AND I am a visible minority.... I guess i must be the most luckiest guy on here lol!! I've spent thousands of dollars, and have saved thousands. I prefer my way, as I have saved a ton. Only offered it as a choice because it worked, and is still working for me.

But like i also included (but nobody is quoting) even when you order online, ship to the border AND DECLARE IT...you'll still be saving money. RockAuto, or ECS tuning are great options. 2 of my friends that live out east close to the border, do what I do, but get there parts installed in the USA (another great option no one mentioned) if I ever get flagged, I'll update lol! ...to.each....there own......Anyway, no more comments from OP, looks like they got whatever answer they were looking for.
Appreciate 0