E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > LSD and trans temp in 328 Wagon Weekend Track Car

06-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
minaret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP

Garage List
LSD and trans temp in 328 Wagon Weekend Track Car

With 209,000 miles on my wagon, the diff is ready for a rebuild. I've been doing track events every other month, and last weekend was with NASA at Buttonwillow. Considering adding a Quaife ATB with this diff rebuild. Would I see much benefit from an LSD with the stock 230hp? Eventually, I'll do the 330 3-stage intake mod.

While on Buttonwillow in 93 degree temps, the wagon went into limp mode. Scanned for codes and got 578E gearbox control module. The code wasn't active the following morning. My Indy Shop thinks it was a auto trans temp issue. How are 328 owners dealing with auto trans temp issues on the track?
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

tetsuo111
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:10 AM   #3
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
With 209,000 miles on my wagon, the diff is ready for a rebuild. I've been doing track events every other month, and last weekend was with NASA at Buttonwillow. Considering adding a Quaife ATB with this diff rebuild. Would I see much benefit from an LSD with the stock 230hp? Eventually, I'll do the 330 3-stage intake mod.

While on Buttonwillow in 93 degree temps, the wagon went into limp mode. Scanned for codes and got 578E gearbox control module. The code wasn't active the following morning. My Indy Shop thinks it was a auto trans temp issue. How are 328 owners dealing with auto trans temp issues on the track?
Yes, you will notice a difference with a LSD, but not to the same extent as higher horsepower cars. Specifically, you will benefit from increased push when exiting a corner. From a cost standpoint, I'd look into the MFactory Helical LSD, which is the one I have. They can also supply all the parts you will need for the rebuild.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943828

As for the auto transmission code, I too have an automatic in my 328i and have done several track days when the ambient air temperature has been in the mid to high 80's but I have not gotten any codes related to the transmission. I only have 38,000 miles on my car and I did the first transmission fluid and filter change at 28,000 miles. How often have you changed your fluid and filter?
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:

I recently installed a Performance Gearing LSD on my tracked-E91. The goal is to improve grip and launch out of tight-radius, low-speed turns like the Thumb at the Ridge and turns 3a and 3b at Pacific. The car hasn't been on the track since the LSD was installed so can't comment on results.

I go to a secluded road with a constant radius cloverleaf to test my car experiments. With the stock open diff and a TCKline suspension, the car comfortably navigates the cloverleaf around 70 - 80 mph, with slight understeer balance. With the LSD, the car has better grip, feeling like it's clawing it's way around the cloverleaf, but at the same time feels less planted. I know that sounds mutually exclusive, but it's the best I can do to describe the effect. The tail feels more lively, almost like it could come around to bite, like an older 911. I need to pay very close attention. The speed around the cloverleaf is unchanged, around 70 - 80 mph.

I installed a 25.5mm solid UUC front sway bar. Conventional wisdom says that should INCREASE push, but I've also read that Macpherson suspensions like ours may benefit due to delaying the transition from negative to positive camber while cornering. In my case the improvement is clear - the addition of the front sway bar locks the car on the road. The rear feels super planted. The car now navigates the same cloverleaf very comfortably at 90 mph. I feel like the car can easily go faster than that, but I don't want to push to the point of being stupid on a public road.

These are seat of the pants observations. I need to get on the track and log real data to confirm.

I haven't experienced limp mode, but I live in the Pacific Northwest where it's relatively cool. I do have plans to add bungs to the LSD for connecting a rear-mount heat exchanger as insurance. I have the 3IM and headers.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 06-28-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for your responses. I wasn't keen on the lifetime trans fluid theme, and when many interpreted lifetime as 'during original warranty period' its first trans service was at 90,000 and 30,000 mile intervals ever since. The wagon had a recent trans service slightly sooner (5,000 miles prior to the recent track event). During hot laps at previous track events, I noticed some binding in the shift lever upon return to the paddock. Since the dtc may be trans temp-related and our daytime temps lately average about 105, tetsuo111 suggests another trans service. To improve cooling, I'm looking at the CSF 7001 radiator. Also been talking to Brian at VAC about a performance built diff with quaife LSD.
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I wasn't keen on the lifetime trans fluid theme, and when many interpreted lifetime as 'during original warranty period' its first trans service was at 90,000 and 30,000 mile intervals ever since. The wagon had a recent trans service slightly sooner (5,000 miles prior to the recent track event). During hot laps at previous track events, I noticed some binding in the shift lever upon return to the paddock. Since the dtc may be trans temp-related and our daytime temps lately average about 105, tetsuo111 suggests another trans service. To improve cooling, I'm looking at the CSF 7001 radiator. Also been talking to Brian at VAC about a performance built diff with quaife LSD.
Yeah, I was going to suggest an upgraded radiator since (from what i understand) that is also the auto transmission's cooler. You could also get VAC's diff cover (idk if it works with autos) and that should help keep diff fluid temps down as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_
Quote:
Yeah, I was going to suggest an upgraded radiator since (from what i understand) that is also the auto transmission's cooler. You could also get VAC's diff cover (idk if it works with autos) and that should help keep diff fluid temps down as well...
If he has the 188 mm differential, the VAC cover won't work, it only fits the 215 mm differential.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Seems like a manual swap would fix a lot of those trans problems!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

The trans cooler on these cars get heat saturated pretty quick, as it's just water cooled with a very small unit. Why not consider looking into a dedicated trans cooler?
Being an auto, and being that it's so specific about the fluids it must run (IIRC the BMW spec fluid is non synthetic), you'll want to be very careful about those temps.

I'd shorten the trans fluid flush intervals even more if I were you.
I just got my wagon, so I'll report back on how it does on track...but even with my manual trans cars, I'd at the very least do the rear diff annually. It's scary what temps they see once you start getting readings for it and see it for yourself.

It doesn't help that the trans is heated quite a lot by the exhaust and the under panel is pretty restrictive for both airflow and the ability for the trans to heat sink--especially once you park it in the paddock, it's game over. Heat saturation.

Track day & Car setup blog
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      08-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update - back from the track.
You may want a trans cooler. My car didn't go into limp mode, but it was pulling timing like crazy and it felt like it had lost 100 horses (not even joking - i had to double take to make sure I was flooring the gas pedal a few times!). The N52 runs quite hot. I ended up driving around with the heat on full blast and this helped - but is definitely not ideal.

Take a peek at your water temps the next time you are out (via the hidden obc menu). It'll be quite high due to the rad cooling both the motor and trans PLUS the N52 running hot to begin with. Under hood temps are boiling. I took out the weather stripping at the back of the hood to help.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
E90ALLMANUAL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/328i/no sunroof

I suggest the following

?Switch to a high end oil like red line for the trans and the engine. I've been thinking about 10w-40 for track duty.

?Removed engine cover and micro filter housing for the track session.

?Easy weight reduction. The rear seat bottom comes out very easily. The tools in the trunk. Trunk floor cover, floor mats.

?Look into swapping the transmission under tray cover for a manual transmission cover. It has an air duct to direct air to the transmission. The one on the automatic cars it's a flat panel.

?Like someone suggested, run with the heat in. You can turn off the snowflake button and only send heat to the passenger side.

?Filled the radiator with distilled water and water wetter. More research is needed on this because I'm not sure if that combination it's safe for the electric water pump.

?Shift before redline. Not much power after 6500 rpm anyway.

?Improving driving skills and grip will give you more cornering speed and reduce downshifting a little.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FWIW removing the transmission under panel outright will help.
The original under panel for the trans does have a naca duct, but it is tiny and there is no doubt the heat will just soak in there. I have removed the pan and saw a reduction in timing pull on track (anyone else notice this in their N52? Power drop after around 3 hard laps).

Another thing for guys with auto, is to upgrade to the CSF 335i automatic radiator. It is a high capacity dual core rad. It will drop into our platform (N52 has same coolant hose locations, and the module carrier for the rad between N55 and N52 is identical - I checked realoem). I am considering this - as the increased coolant capacity + more efficient rad will help with trans temps. As for whether it will assist with reducing the timing pull -- the jury is out.

That said, I do hit the track with the heat on to assist with the timing pull issue. It does help.

Appreciate 1
      10-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
LSD and trans temp in 328 Wagon Weekend Track Car

Tried the MT underbody cover, but as buro92 mentioned the naca duct cools an area on the trans pan the size of a snickers bar. Had the ER sport oil cooler installed Saturday. Have the BMS vent covers; will remove the cabin filter shelf for my next track day Nov 19th. Didn't think the CSF 335 AT rad would fit; dimensions are different?

Last edited by minaret; 10-12-2016 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Miss-spelled CSD should read CSF
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #14
john21wall
Registered
Rep
Drives: opel astrq

It is the exact same motor, save for the intake manifold and tune.

VANOS faults for camshaft correlation can mean new cam towers ($$$), no cheap limited slip (Quaife sucks on track), lots of rear suspension compliance that requires M3 and custom parts, poor front camber, weak motor mounts, electric water pump failures and poor cooling system performance rob power, broken belt tensioners letting serpentine belt destroy front crank seal, and little track knowledge of the E9x outside of Grand Am teams.

I certainly hope you are NOT assuming a good oil change history on this car. Pop the oil cap and see how brown it is inside the head. Hope they used a good oil, not BMW synthetic or God forbid Jiffy lube.
      10-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Since installing the Quaife, I have had more off-track excursions exiting corners. May just be my driving technique. I'm the original owner and change the oil and filter every 7500 miles (post BMW factory warranty) and after track days. Last week during wp replacement (preventative maintenance @217,207 miles), original radiator cracked. Replaced with oem because couldn't get the CSF 7001 soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #16
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Temperatures were cool (mid-50s to low 60s) last Saturday at the Streets of Willow Springs; didn't have to resort to various cooling suggestions. Will use them next year when the weather warms up. Appreciate the suggestions and advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

minaret what coiling updates have you done to the car to date?
FWIW I am moving to the CSF 7001 myself and am going to install a separate oil to air cooler for the trans (and will be ditching the stock water to oil trans cooler).

I noted timing pulls even in 70 deg weather with all stock cooling parts (save for trans underpanel removal, which helped quite a lot actually)

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
boro92, the only cooling improvements I've done so far are cabin filter shelf removal and use BMS cowl filters, removed splash panel beneath trans, ER sport eng oil cooler, heater on when on track. Seriously searching for trans cooler with fan and inline thermostat. Sonnax line pressure booster kit may be necessay for trans cooler inserted in trans return line.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #19
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

minaret any improvement in your latest outings with the removal of the under pan? Curious to know if your car is still going into limp mode with that change.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Actually, on the track in June it was timing pull (not limp) and threw a code 578e trans control module (high trans temperature). Car performance was normal at Streets of Willow Nov 16 (air temp was low 60s). Hope to have a trans cooler by mid-Feb (AROSC Big Willow).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Update: Just did 2-Day track event on Big (Willow Springs). Air temp 80F. I removed the trans underbody splash panel, cabin filter shelf/filter, used BMS vent filters, and used the heater venting out the windows. Car ran fine; didn't pull timing.
Appreciate 1
boro92146.00
      04-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #22
minaret
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Update: Buttonwillow 13 CW April 22-23 (SoCal NASA HPDE2). Saturday air temp 89; car ran fine all day. Sunday was cooler (77) but was pushing harder. It felt like it was pulling timing exiting Off Ramp and tracking out on I-5. May just be the 6AT and high mileage (229,000 miles) contributing.

Last edited by minaret; 04-24-2017 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 1