E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > GT-R, aint that quick.

10-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #67
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
lol fuckwahh i thought u was onabout here lol, guess a few beers are talking lol, dont go on PH load of pricks on there lol, do u do on there
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #68
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin
Had no probs keeping up with Beemerbird and Rockit on the weekend did you?
Well, no. I could do the same speeds as them - only it took a few seconds longer

Naturally, they could have got away from me if they had wanted to do highly illegal speeds and with no traffic to slow them down. Overtaking for them was slightly easier than for me, I have to admit. (Translation: They had flying machines)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #69
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I think we can all agree here that the GT-R isn't slow. It's a shame that the car is potentially not living up to the hype, but it's still a stunning piece of engineering IMHO. Even the interior is now on par with Germanic standards.

Whilst on the subject of performance, the DXB certainly makes a fair go of the standing quarter. I remember about 10 years ago achieving a slightly slower standing quarter time in my standard uk Impreza turbo and thinking it was properly quick. Diesels have certainly moved the game on. My 330d was only about 30 secs slower round the Ring than my M3, so clearly they're doing something right!

If I want "real" performance though, I get on two wheels. 1000bhp per tonne and 0-150 in a smidge over 10 seconds. Lovely.

And finally, Carlos, ignore the naysayers and muppets on PH. Some of them are having a laugh, some are being contentious for the hell of it and others are just shoved up there own arse.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #70
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Having driven GTRs round silverstone and been driven round by the pro there, the car is soooo easy to drive fast, very fast. The pro's (albeit on a Nissan day) said it was by far the easiest car to drive round Silverstone.
Doing 150mph we could have a conversation with helmets on no problems. No raised voices. (some customers were complaining its too quiet) The brakes are will throw you through the front window. And the acceleration and grip is better than anything i've ever been in, yet alone driven myself and been able to eek out of a car.

As for Ring times. 0-60, 1/4 Mile etc. Mean nothing to me. I must be getting old

Carlos you're not hating on the GTR a bit like the "knobheads" on PH hating on his DXB

For the record I'd love a Porsche 911 Turbo over any car (well until i drove the GTR)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #71
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
tell you the truth ,i when seeing you, i thought u was a nice bloke and knew your cars, the thought of u having a better car than my one never came into it, sure i could get a m3 if i sold my my trucks and diggers, but thats my bread and butter, i just think sometimes out with it, and sometimes they dont like it, but thats u,
thats quality

you've had your mouth round the jcb pipe again aint ya???
      10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #72
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
thats quality

you've had your mouth round the jcb pipe again aint ya???
never drive jcb's 360's there shit lol
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #73
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Hey Carl,

In order to redress the balance a little, and to corroborate your discussion, I've cut and pasted below some info, from sources I know and trust, regarding the GT-R time at the 'Ring. Forgive me for once again returning to the 'Ring as the benchmark for the ultimate real world pace of a vehicle, but standing quarters, 0-60, 30-70 etc hold very little weight IMHO.

Here are a couple of interesting observations from Nissan's GT-R record drive, that come from a highly reliable source without any connections to/interest in Porsche.

Nissan had a couple of GT-R's at the Ring that day. The car that did the record run featured:

* stripped out interior
* missing pre-cat
* use of 110 octane race fuel

These were the changes/alterations that my friend could observe. They indicate that weight was below and power well above a standard car. Given these "improvements" it appears likely that the car also featured non-standard rubber - but this last comment is only an assumption.

Porsche had Walter Rohrl checking out the GT-R and his best time was 07:45. Yesterday another former Rallye champion (who holds the fastest lap on the Ring in the wet - so no rookie either) managed to get near 07:50 in not fully ideal conditions using a stock customer car from overseas.

Given these data points the 07:29 posted by Nissan were not set by a standard car. End of story.

Given that Walter R managed a truly excellent 07:45 I wonder why Nissan bothered to cheat at all. It's a fantastic time well into 997TT/GT3RS territory for a fraction of the price that should really get the guys at Porsche (and potential customers) thinking. IMHO the car also has a dramatic presence in the metal and sounds great.

The 07:29 from a standard GT-R, however, only people could believe who like to ignore some basic laws of physics and/or are happy to find a reason to look down on people who can afford more expensive cars than themselves.
And some more..........

The aforementioned rallye star during one of the recent nurburgring 24hrs, lapped 30-45s a lap quicker than even the manthey car when heavy fog descended on the Eifel. He knows the place very very well. His comments on the GTR are:

Its funny how fast information goes around the world! I drove the Nissan GTR yesterday for KW with the KW clubsport and with the original suspension. All other parts were stock and the weight was original! Due to the fact, that there where some passing manouvers and 2 small mistakes in my line, the theoretical best time, calculated from my best sectors (with data logger), was a 7.46. ( a real lap was 7,49)
So I think, it is not possible, to go faster, when W.Röhrl and Chr.Menzel also where not able to go under 7.45!
The secret source, who watched the test of the 3 cars is not so secret: He owns a guest house in Nürbrug and was there at the test and watched everything. I spoke to him 2 days ago and it was true that tha car was far away from stock, that means power, sound, tyres, exhaust, weight!
But anyway the Nissan GTR is fast also in stock outfit and fun to drive. Only when acclerating it would need more power to the rear, to kill the understeer. Under braking conditions it steers very good into corners! Sometimes to much, but then it is even more fun!

So, not only will launch control invalidate your gearbox warranty, but the cheeky Japs were "cheating" with their 7m29. But frankly, who gives a sh1t, as 7m45 for a full lap is still monstrously quick.

As I said, just trying to add some balance, but can't leave without mentioning that stock car for stock car, that's still well over a minute, or 3 seconds a kilometre quicker per full lap than a 335d.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #74
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great post Matt - thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #75
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Thanks Matt, your a nice bloke. I like you. Good read that. Just goes to show you it aint no quicker than a 997 Porky T. Still a great car the GT-R. Just needs some tweaking to beat the turbo.
      11-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #76
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Hi Carl,

No worries. As I said, just trying to get a balance to the post.

The GTR is a properly quick car, and that it runs the 997TT so close and yet costs 50% as much, it's a special car for sure. I'd still prefer the Porker though!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #77
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
Hey Carl,

In order to redress the balance a little, and to corroborate your discussion, I've cut and pasted below some info, from sources I know and trust, regarding the GT-R time at the 'Ring. Forgive me for once again returning to the 'Ring as the benchmark for the ultimate real world pace of a vehicle, but standing quarters, 0-60, 30-70 etc hold very little weight IMHO.

Here are a couple of interesting observations from Nissan's GT-R record drive, that come from a highly reliable source without any connections to/interest in Porsche.

Nissan had a couple of GT-R's at the Ring that day. The car that did the record run featured:

* stripped out interior
* missing pre-cat
* use of 110 octane race fuel

These were the changes/alterations that my friend could observe. They indicate that weight was below and power well above a standard car. Given these "improvements" it appears likely that the car also featured non-standard rubber - but this last comment is only an assumption.

Porsche had Walter Rohrl checking out the GT-R and his best time was 07:45. Yesterday another former Rallye champion (who holds the fastest lap on the Ring in the wet - so no rookie either) managed to get near 07:50 in not fully ideal conditions using a stock customer car from overseas.

Given these data points the 07:29 posted by Nissan were not set by a standard car. End of story.

Given that Walter R managed a truly excellent 07:45 I wonder why Nissan bothered to cheat at all. It's a fantastic time well into 997TT/GT3RS territory for a fraction of the price that should really get the guys at Porsche (and potential customers) thinking. IMHO the car also has a dramatic presence in the metal and sounds great.

The 07:29 from a standard GT-R, however, only people could believe who like to ignore some basic laws of physics and/or are happy to find a reason to look down on people who can afford more expensive cars than themselves.
And some more..........

The aforementioned rallye star during one of the recent nurburgring 24hrs, lapped 30-45s a lap quicker than even the manthey car when heavy fog descended on the Eifel. He knows the place very very well. His comments on the GTR are:

Its funny how fast information goes around the world! I drove the Nissan GTR yesterday for KW with the KW clubsport and with the original suspension. All other parts were stock and the weight was original! Due to the fact, that there where some passing manouvers and 2 small mistakes in my line, the theoretical best time, calculated from my best sectors (with data logger), was a 7.46. ( a real lap was 7,49)
So I think, it is not possible, to go faster, when W.Röhrl and Chr.Menzel also where not able to go under 7.45!
The secret source, who watched the test of the 3 cars is not so secret: He owns a guest house in Nürbrug and was there at the test and watched everything. I spoke to him 2 days ago and it was true that tha car was far away from stock, that means power, sound, tyres, exhaust, weight!
But anyway the Nissan GTR is fast also in stock outfit and fun to drive. Only when acclerating it would need more power to the rear, to kill the understeer. Under braking conditions it steers very good into corners! Sometimes to much, but then it is even more fun!

So, not only will launch control invalidate your gearbox warranty, but the cheeky Japs were "cheating" with their 7m29. But frankly, who gives a sh1t, as 7m45 for a full lap is still monstrously quick.

As I said, just trying to add some balance, but can't leave without mentioning that stock car for stock car, that's still well over a minute, or 3 seconds a kilometre quicker per full lap than a 335d.

Matt
Very intersteing mate so its only 5 seconds faster than a CSL???
      11-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #78
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can i have this thread locked please.

I only want threads which suit me
Appreciate 0