E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Making this car handle

02-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #67
MemphisRheins
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

Oh Come'on guys, is the handling really that bad?

To O.P have you ever driven a Ford Taurus?

Sure the Xi might now have the exact same characteristics of the i, however Lets be realistic here, your still not driving a Taurus, your still not driving a Civic (though Hondas have some decent Handling for FWD).

Your driving a BMW, you still have so much more feel then the poor schmuck in the Toyota Corolla running down the road in full out 4x4 Height, with tons of body roll and understeer... Sure the car could be better, but thats what the aftermarkets for... Personally, ill prob just do the sways to stiffen her up a little and get rid of some of the roll... that and runflats shouldn't be a bad combo... theres really no need to stick 1000lbs race springs and slam your DD..

I put a track ready set up in my Old TSX, and that was half the reason I sold it, Sure it was fun for AutoX, but after scraping on a daily basis and knowing what side the quarter was on (heads or Tails) after running over one, im more then happy to have my "Floaty" Xi and enjoy the driving experience. and just remember that when there is a nice steep hill with 3 inches of ice and snow, well make it up, while the "better handling" 330i is still spinning the tires
      03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #68
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisRheins View Post
Oh Come'on guys, is the handling really that bad?

To O.P have you ever driven a Ford Taurus?

Sure the Xi might now have the exact same characteristics of the i, however Lets be realistic here, your still not driving a Taurus, your still not driving a Civic (though Hondas have some decent Handling for FWD).

Your driving a BMW, you still have so much more feel then the poor schmuck in the Toyota Corolla running down the road in full out 4x4 Height, with tons of body roll and understeer... Sure the car could be better, but thats what the aftermarkets for... Personally, ill prob just do the sways to stiffen her up a little and get rid of some of the roll... that and runflats shouldn't be a bad combo... theres really no need to stick 1000lbs race springs and slam your DD..

I put a track ready set up in my Old TSX, and that was half the reason I sold it, Sure it was fun for AutoX, but after scraping on a daily basis and knowing what side the quarter was on (heads or Tails) after running over one, im more then happy to have my "Floaty" Xi and enjoy the driving experience. and just remember that when there is a nice steep hill with 3 inches of ice and snow, well make it up, while the "better handling" 330i is still spinning the tires
For a $64K car it is pretty bad. I think most of us agree. You can dress a pig up, you can put lipstick on it, but it's stilla pig. Had I known when I purchased I would have gone for the 335i instead. My bad for trusting my sales rep when I asked him if the sports package was the same as the 'i's. I know a lot more about BMW's now than I did then. If there is nothing to tame the Xi front end, I might just give up and sell the critter and try my luck with the upcoming Z4-sDrive35i.