E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thinking about getting a motorcycle..Advice?

01-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #23
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

come on, you guys are giving some pretty terrible recommendations for a first bike. seriously, i would suggest a suzuku SV650. more than enough power to handle for a noob rider and even people who also have insanely fast sport bikes still often hang onto their SVs because they like them so much.

if you really want to start on a duc then a Monster 696 is pretty damn nice. So nice that you're going to cry the first time you drop it during a low speed maneuver. If you really want a sport bike the 848 is fantastic but that's still a hell of a lot of torque and power for a noob. Even experienced riders have to wrestle with that much torque. Check out the Fifth Gear vide of the pro rider on the Duc 999 racing against a Gallardo. The rider is constantly fighting to keep the front wheel down around the track because the bike wants to wheelie every time he goes wide open.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

My first bike was a 99 kawi zx9R... I was 19 at the time, big mistake. Nothing bad ever happend however I could never get the "most" out of it.

I then moved to an 03 honda 600RR, much better bike, I now currently ride an 08 honda 1000RR.

I wish I had started with a small bike that I could toss around and fully exploit, IMHO the 600 made me a better rider.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

dont listen to these people. I had the exact same question as you did. 90% of the people on here dont know what their talking about you.
Here

To be honest the guys that posted in that thread could have very well saved my life. I was intent on getting something within the lines of an R6, and i decided to not only take their advice because it made sense but because it is fact, starting on a 600cc is too much for a beginner and is reffered to "killing yourself expensively". My thanks to all and especially bmstyle71 for helping me make a wise decision. Starting small will help you make the most of the bike and help you familiarize yourself with a bigger bike down the line if you decide to go that route.

I suggest you read each and every post.

PS: i got an 08 kawasaki Ninja 250R
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #26
MiniMayor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 coupe

I just got a 2009 R6...Love it!! Can't go wrong with this bike. R1 is sick but not a good beginner bike. GSX-R 750 is a great too.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #27
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMayor View Post
I just got a 2009 R6...Love it!! Can't go wrong with this bike. R1 is sick but not a good beginner bike. GSX-R 750 is a great too.
a 750 for a beginner bike? Are you crazy?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

the ninja 250R is more a mountain bike w/ a gokart engine than a motorcycle. I had my r6s as my first bike, no problems... About a year after i sold it, i visited my friend who is an avid rider, and his girlfriend had a 250R... when i rode it, i felt miserably unsafe because it had no pull/power to it. It would be a great bike to learn with in the parking lot, but that's the end of it. Also, the tires on that thing are so small, it just looks and feels terrible.

a 600cc bike isn't overkill. a lot of my friends learned on 600cc bikes... yea, some of them have gone down, but it's also because they're sometimes dumbasses on the bike, and they do unnecessary things. If you decide to get a first bike, go w/ a 600, and gently learn to pull the throttle... about 3-6months after i began riding, i even felt that my r6s lacked some power in the higher gears...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #29
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

There's also a Ninja 650 now which is a standard style bike. Not too much horsepower but plenty to get outta the way.

Like others have said, please don't take advice from douches saying that 750 or 1000 race bikes are good starter bikes.

The Ninja 250 is good if you're not getting on any highways or major roads. The Ninja 500 is the bigger brother and a bit more power. It's also a bit larger. It's still a light bike though if you happen to drop it.

The Suzuki SV650 which somebody else here mentioned is also a good bike. Upright standard with enough power for getting around.

p.s. the Ninja 250/500/650 are in a totally different category than the Ninja 600R, 1000R. If it ends in R it's their race bike line... basically meant for the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep
Drives: '21 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
All this talk of bikes I decided i should probably post up a pic of my pride and joy...
:werd:

Here are my bikes..
08 1098s

07 1098

07 MV F4

01-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #31
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
the ninja 250R is more a mountain bike w/ a gokart engine than a motorcycle. I had my r6s as my first bike, no problems... About a year after i sold it, i visited my friend who is an avid rider, and his girlfriend had a 250R... when i rode it, i felt miserably unsafe because it had no pull/power to it. It would be a great bike to learn with in the parking lot, but that's the end of it. Also, the tires on that thing are so small, it just looks and feels terrible.

a 600cc bike isn't overkill. a lot of my friends learned on 600cc bikes... yea, some of them have gone down, but it's also because they're sometimes dumbasses on the bike, and they do unnecessary things. If you decide to get a first bike, go w/ a 600, and gently learn to pull the throttle... about 3-6months after i began riding, i even felt that my r6s lacked some power in the higher gears...
a 600cc bike isn't overkill for a beginner? lol I hope you're not talking about a 600 r cc bike. If you are, don't ever give advice to people about bikes man. lol A 250r is like a mountain bike? WHAT? lol dude PROPER riders start on a 125cc honda or equivalent. Why don't they give you a 600 cc bike when you take your riders course? I started out on a 600cc bike and according to your overkill theory that wasn't the case since it almost killed me.

Also, getting a 600cc bike will encourage riders to go on highways and other high speed roads which they shouldn't be doing. It's called a beginner bike for a reason. Just because you will outgrow it in 2 months, doesn't mean its useless....it just means that bike did it's job perfectly and it's time to up the cc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #32
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

i was keen on getting a 600cc too, but even i knew that anything more than that was overkill. What i didn't know was that even a 600cc is far too dangerous in a begginers no matter how responsible or good of a rider you think you are. And about the comment on the ninja 250r being a mountain bike with a motor lol, you need to do some research.

Heres some pictures of a Ninja 250

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #33
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Not to be a buzzkill, but my brother was nearly killed riding a ZX-7 on a decreasing radius curve. He was a very experienced rider. He was in a comma for 7 weeks and is now in a wheelchair (spinal injury) with a brain injury. This was nearly 12 years ago. Doesn't matter how experienced or skilled you are. Just the slightest misjudgement and you might be done. Remember the impact a death or serious injury has on your families. PLEASE be careful on these things. If you don't know what you are doing, you can easily have a life changing injury or worse.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #34
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
:werd:

Here are my bikes..
08 1098s

07 1098

07 MV F4

If I ever get into riding I think I would want that 1098 in red... So beautiful and elegant.
      01-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
come on, you guys are giving some pretty terrible recommendations for a first bike. seriously, i would suggest a suzuku SV650. more than enough power to handle for a noob rider and even people who also have insanely fast sport bikes still often hang onto their SVs because they like them so much.
x2. I've been riding for many years and an SV650 has got to be the best starter bike on the market.

Don't listen to the people telling you to get a liter bike, that is the easiest and quickest way to commit suicide and no i'm not joking. I used to have an 05 R1 and it literally would do 103 in first gear. There is absolutely no need for anything this powerful on public streets.

As for the posters telling you to start with a ducati, I'd highly reccomend against it. I currently own a pair of 08 1098's and they are the biggest pile of crap i've ever owned. If you want a bike in which constantly stalls, burns out voltage regulators, has crappy paint and cost a fortune to buy parts for, then look at ducati. Other than that, I'd continue looking at your friends FZ6 and or an SV650.

Kev
      01-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #36
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Not to be a buzzkill, but my brother was nearly killed riding a ZX-7 on a decreasing radius curve. He was a very experienced rider. He was in a comma for 7 weeks and is now in a wheelchair (spinal injury) with a brain injury. This was nearly 12 years ago. Doesn't matter how experienced or skilled you are. Just the slightest misjudgement and you might be done. Remember the impact a death or serious injury has on your families. PLEASE be careful on these things. If you don't know what you are doing, you can easily have a life changing injury or worse.
wow. How is he doing now?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Your idea about taking the MSF course is a good start. Talk with the Ridercoaches after you complete it, and get their take on your riding ability. If you score really well, are mature, and can reach the controls easily, get what you want. The FZ6 is a great bike. The advice about SV650's, and Ducati 696 is also good.

I wouldn't put too much into all the things about dying on the bike. You'll get that from everyone who doesn't ride.
Make sure you wear the best riding gear you can afford, EVERY time you get on the bike. That includes boots, helmet, jacket, gloves, and pants. Chances are you will drop the bike sometime, and wearing proper gear can be the difference between walking away 100%, and a trip to the hospital, or worse.

Since you are into sport oriented bikes, after you put some miles on look into a good track school, like STAR. You'll pick up more skill in a day than you will in years of riding, and the cost is very reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #38
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

r6
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #39
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
wow. How is he doing now?
He's doing better. But he's now living with my parents and will always need care for the remainder of his life.

I'm not telling anyone not to own or ride a motorcycle. Just be extra careful and as the other poster said, DO NOT skimp on protective gear and DO NOT do anything stupid while riding a bike. Your chance of surviving a mishap due to stupidity like racing or showing off is much less than when you are in a car.

When I see these idiot kids in the summer riding on the interstate highway with only a pair of shorts, I think they are stain just waiting to happen. The margin of error when riding a bike is next to nill.

Last edited by DenverJayhawk; 01-27-2009 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

i'd say an SV650 is a great beginner bike. more upright than a super sport, light, and sooo easy to control the power. my cousin is a 24y/o girl and she got one as her first bike.... rides it perfectly. i have a 2006 gsxr 1000 and would definalty not recommend it to a first timer. it is my second bike(1st wa a gsxr 750) and even i am blown away by its power sometimes! oh ya, ive also been riding dirt since i was 13(10 yrs). if you want practice, get a dirt bike. they are soooo much more fun and you dont have to worry about moms in escalades running you down(although going over the handlebars does occur quite frequently!)
      01-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #41
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
He's doing better. But he's now living with my parents and will always need care for the remainder of his life.

I'm not telling anyone not to own or ride a motorcycle. Just be extra careful and as the other poster said, DO NOT skimp on protective gear and DO NOT do anything stupid while riding a bike. Your chance of surviving a mishap due to stupidty like racing or showing off is much less than when you are in a car.

When I see these idiot kids in the summer riding on the interstate highway with only a pair of shorts, I think they are stain just waiting to happen. The margin of error when riding a bike is next to nill.
stories like these always scare the shit out of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

^^^I've been thinking about getting a bike too and they scare the shit out of me too.

Ironically, I posted this question on the s2k forums a few weeks ago in BikeTalk and it led me straight to the SV650. If I were to get a bike, that would be it. I love the new Ninja 250R's but people over here drive like crap. Having ample power everywhere wont necessarily be a bad thing.
      01-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #43
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
stories like these always scare the shit out of me.
I don't mean to scare anyone off from riding a bike. I just think some people, especially young guys, don't always think of the consequences of their actions when they go off and do stupid things, like racing a crotch rocket in the street. Whenever I hear about someone interested in bikes, I tell them my brother's story with the hope that it persuades them to be extra cautious and not do something stupid. When I read an article in the paper that someone paid the ultimate price while riding a bike, it just hits home even more.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #44
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't mean to scare anyone off from riding a bike. I just think some people, especially young guys, don't always think of the consequences of their actions when they go off and do stupid things, like racing a crotch rocket in the street. Whenever I hear about someone interested in bikes, I tell them my brother's story with the hope that it persuades them to be extra cautious and not do something stupid. When I read an article in the paper that someone paid the ultimate price while riding a bike, it just hits home even more.
i appreciate you telling us your story, and giving us words of advice. Thank you.
Appreciate 0