E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Drivers in NJ Under age of 21 Beware: Kylie's Law

04-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin4fun View Post
Are you kidding I see a student driver and I seriously stay away. I am 28.
+1000
      04-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

They need to teach real world driving knowledge, that test to get the permit is BS and the road course to get a license is laughable. They should make it mandatory driving hours and a test on REAL driving questions (not how many beers = one glass of wine, totally stupid) to get both. Do it once to get a permit and again with more advanced driving to get a license. It will be a longer process but experience and proper teaching is the way to decrease accidents for young drivers, not some shitty sticker/more restrictions. Driving can affect other people's lives greatly and I don't think everyone sees it that way, especially younger drivers. Before you say I'm hating on young people - I'm 23 and was fortunate to have parents who taught me how to really drive.

Sorry for being off topic but while I am on the subject (people who drive carelessly/obliviously make me angry), they really need to crack down more on people who text while driving. I've seriously seen drunk drivers do a better job at driving! The amount of times I've had to do something drastic to avoid an accident only to see that person's head moving up and down every other 5 seconds to read/type is mind numbing. It should be promoted MORE than the seatbelt law because it has potential to kill other people. The consequence should be big for these people and repeat offenders should face license suspension.

Sorry for venting, I just can't stand the number of idiots who have almost hit my car because they don't pay attention to the road. It took a lot to get this car, if someone were to damage it I'd really flip. Not to mention the fact that it's a human being inside of the car who's a lot more squishy.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

The driving test here in NJ really is horrible. All I had to do at 17 was go through a series of turns on a course that's set up for everyone to pass. After that I had to parallel park. As long as I used my turn signal all the time and stopped at stop lights, I was passed. It's ridiculously easy.

As for the laws Corzine is passing. He can go to hell. I've gone 2 years so far without a ticket (knock on wood) so I don't see the need for any of these things he's passing. No cell phones/devices used? That's perfectly fine with me. I never use my phone or any other electronic device while driving other than my iPod and even then I rarely touch it.

But putting stickers on my windows so the cops can spot me easily? The only thing I have to say to that is in a two word sentence that starts with the letter F and ends with the word that. What the hell is the point in that? So the cops know who are the easier people to ticket? I've had many cops not "chase" me, but sort of follow me around my town looking for me to make a stupid mistake so they can ticket me. No cop would ever admit to it of course, but when they follow me for for 1-2 miles and then break away when I reach the next town I can only assume they were waiting for me to make a mistake.

I'm not saying that use young drivers are good drivers by any means, but these restrictions are ridiculous. As I said before, I can understand the use of cellphones and stuff like that, but I can't drive more than one person around with me at a time? That's total bull shit to say the least. I've been in two accidents so far (in my dad's truck) and both of those accidents happened when I was alone. I'm actually a more careful driver when I have people in the car with me.

As for the time curfew, who cares? What's the difference between driving at 3 AM as opposed to 6 AM? The darkness? It's not hard to drive in the night. It's actually much easier than the day if you ask me. Less cars on the road means less accidents. My friends and I hang out a lot during 11 pm - 4 am and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
Sorry for being off topic but while I am on the subject (people who drive carelessly/obliviously make me angry), they really need to crack down more on people who text while driving. I've seriously seen drunk drivers do a better job at driving! The amount of times I've had to do something drastic to avoid an accident only to see that person's head moving up and down every other 5 seconds to read/type is mind numbing. It should be promoted MORE than the seatbelt law because it has potential to kill other people. The consequence should be big for these people and repeat offenders should face license suspension.
Texting while driving. I love people who do that. One of my neighbors does that all the time and it's just a stupid thing to do. I've seen her almost get into an accident because she went to far past the stop sign. Did I mention it was a stop sign not 100 feet away from her house? It's ridiculous the shit some people do while driving. Looking away from the road and looking at your phone is ALWAYS a good idea... if you want to get into an accident. I would also have to say that everyone, when getting their license, should take a 10-minute course on "blind spots." I've seen people almost get into nasty accidents because there is always some idiot trying to change lanes without looking at his blind spots. The worst part? I'm right behind the idiot so if the accident happens, I'll most likely be involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

This law is BS, there are way too many terrible drivers young and old, this will not do much to help the situation, what we need is stricter driver testing. This is just over kill, being 18-20 years old but having an 11 o clock curfew? Great, you can go to war but you can't even drive home if you work late. Hell I've had exams at rutgers that end at 11, wtf am I supposed to do sleep in my car and or walk home? I'll be 21 so this won't even affect me but I still don't agree with it.

And all this coming from the governor that was in a car accident with no seatbelt on while going 90 on the parkway.
      04-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet335i View Post
I agree 100%, but too bad the droves of old people voters would never let that happen...imagine if they tried to pass that in florida?

by the time they clear that law, WE'LL be 60, haha.

Simple solutions:
  1. Retest EVERYONE, young and old, with theory and practical and eyesight, whenever their license is up for renewal. This would eliminate any complaints such as yours and any complaints as a 60 year old would be likely to make about a 40 year old. It also removes the bubble-gum practice of issuing a license. Make it hard to get the license in the first place and the driver is more likely to do whatever he/she can to preserve it.
  2. If a driver is convicted of a moving violation, make it a mandatory suspended license until they take remedial instruction and retest. Abandon the practise of lawyers pleading down a violation. It may take them a week, a month, or whatever but they'll be thinking about their transgression until the testing is complete.
  3. Two convictions in a license's validity period means an automatic revocation until the next renewal is due. If the driver gets a citation the first year after issuance then they're going to be caution not to get another for at least four years (Virginia is good for five years).
  4. Driving on a suspended license forfeits the driving privilege permanently; make all states share information. If you want to flaunt the rules you demonstrate you can not abide by them. If a license is permanently revoked in one state the driver should not be able to get a license in another state, either.
  5. Make the test extensive, like 150 questions, with a minimum passing of 90%, covering a whole gamut of subjects; and don't dumb it down. Virginia currently has a two part test consisting of 10 questions on signs and 25 questions on other. The sign test must score 100% before progressing to the second test. There are more than ten signs displayed in Virginia. Make 'em know them all.
  6. And make the licenses cost much more than $4 a year (Virginia). If something is valuable to you you're going to protect it more. You protect your license by driving within the bounds of the law and rules of the road.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
JDM yo!
lol i was just thinking about this .....sorry if i didnt read the rest of the posts =X
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #29
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleshim View Post
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...g_drivers.html

what do u guys think? GOod or bad?

The New Jersey Senate and General Assembly had something to do with this, too. (Be sure to thank them when you thank Governor Corzine!)

New Jersey voted for a Nanny State, New Jersey got a Nanny State. Who says democracy doesn't work?
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

Wait let me get this straight... you have to be 21 now to have more than 1 person in the car? HAHAHAHAHA
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #31
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
Wait let me get this straight... you have to be 21 now to have more than 1 person in the car? HAHAHAHAHA
LOL no only if your on a probationary license

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
thank god i live in the south. i had a learners permit at 15
Well in FL you can also be legally pregnant with your brother's second child at age 15 too.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #33
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

they need these stickers for the elderly first
      04-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #34
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

hold up im not understanding these laws. im 18 years old and i can get a unrestricted license at the dmv i just gotta find time to do it.

when i get my new license, can i drive with more than one person in the car? and can i drive at any time of the day?

sorry for not understanding
      04-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #35
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Simple solutions:
  1. Retest EVERYONE, young and old, with theory and practical and eyesight, whenever their license is up for renewal. This would eliminate any complaints such as yours and any complaints as a 60 year old would be likely to make about a 40 year old. It also removes the bubble-gum practice of issuing a license. Make it hard to get the license in the first place and the driver is more likely to do whatever he/she can to preserve it.
  2. If a driver is convicted of a moving violation, make it a mandatory suspended license until they take remedial instruction and retest. Abandon the practise of lawyers pleading down a violation. It may take them a week, a month, or whatever but they'll be thinking about their transgression until the testing is complete.
  3. Two convictions in a license's validity period means an automatic revocation until the next renewal is due. If the driver gets a citation the first year after issuance then they're going to be caution not to get another for at least four years (Virginia is good for five years).
  4. Driving on a suspended license forfeits the driving privilege permanently; make all states share information. If you want to flaunt the rules you demonstrate you can not abide by them. If a license is permanently revoked in one state the driver should not be able to get a license in another state, either.
  5. Make the test extensive, like 150 questions, with a minimum passing of 90%, covering a whole gamut of subjects; and don't dumb it down. Virginia currently has a two part test consisting of 10 questions on signs and 25 questions on other. The sign test must score 100% before progressing to the second test. There are more than ten signs displayed in Virginia. Make 'em know them all.
  6. And make the licenses cost much more than $4 a year (Virginia). If something is valuable to you you're going to protect it more. You protect your license by driving within the bounds of the law and rules of the road.
did you google that or come up with that all by yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
greg traeger
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

the real problem with new yound drivers is that driver training in the US is not very good relative to other countries - esp. compared to places like Finland where you spend a long time learning how to drive in snow and ice and practice car control. We don't have comprehensive driver training programs that actually teach kids how to really drive and practice car control.....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #37
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet335i View Post
did you google that or come up with that all by yourself?
I got my first driver's license in Virginia. But the bit about the two parts to the test were obtained from the Virginia DMV site (knew where to go; didn't Google). All the rest is my opinion on the subject (the italics in my original post are my explanations for the statements).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #38
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
hold up im not understanding these laws. im 18 years old and i can get a unrestricted license at the dmv i just gotta find time to do it.

when i get my new license, can i drive with more than one person in the car? and can i drive at any time of the day?

sorry for not understanding
lol. that's exactly what i'm talking about. if you can't comprehend the meaning of a printed article explaining driver safety measures, you have no business transporting passengers... or driving after 11pm. sorry
      04-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #39
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
lol. that's exactly what i'm talking about. if you can't comprehend the meaning of a printed article explaining driver safety measures, you have no business transporting passengers... or driving after 11pm. sorry
wow thanks asshole. im sure you understand everything you read. stay in the cali thread.

everyone seems to be making a big deal out of this but they only changed the existing laws a little bit from what they are now. because you get a full-privileged license at 18. so one year of these rules sounds like nothing. i was just making sure that this doesnt mean that these laws apply until your 21. that would be a big deal and suck.
      04-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #40
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

shits weakk... all i gotta say lol

2007 e90 335i (batmobile) ~ bye bye
2011 e90 335i M-Sport (Stella) ~ BYe Bye
2013 F30 335xi M-Sport EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #41
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
wow thanks asshole. im sure you understand everything you read. stay in the cali thread.

everyone seems to be making a big deal out of this but they only changed the existing laws a little bit from what they are now. because you get a full-privileged license at 18. so one year of these rules sounds like nothing. i was just making sure that this doesnt mean that these laws apply until your 21. that would be a big deal and suck.
That's exactly what this article is saying, drivers under 21 will need to have a sticker on their car and won't be able to driver after 11. So they are quite a big change.
      04-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #42
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
as a parent, i think these are an awesome measures.

identify cars of *any* (not only teenagers) driver with less than 3 years of driving experience. they've been doing it in Russia for years. I also support 11pm-5am driving curfew.

Cell phone jammers and breathalyzers in teenagers cars should also be a requirement (at least by an insurance company in exchange for a fat discount)
Breathalyzers exist in some people's car who has been in rehab for drink driving or drug court/probation. Its not cheap to have the machine in the car. Its cost about $8 a day...

I really dont understand what a STICKER on a car would change tho....And there IS a rule while you're in provisonary license which are for under 17 i think you cant drive without an adult and cant drive after certain time, but people still do and cops dont really care either.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #43
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
wow thanks asshole. im sure you understand everything you read. stay in the cali thread
if somehow pointing out your inability to comprehend something as basic as that article makes me an asshole, so be it.

i don't even care if my son's friends think that i am an asshole, as long as he does not get in a car with some cocky, know-it-all teenager, like you, at the wheel.

04-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #44
charles j m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: around for no reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
That's exactly what this article is saying, drivers under 21 will need to have a sticker on their car and won't be able to driver after 11. So they are quite a big change.
drivers under 21 with a provisional license*

1 year isnt a big difference at all. they basically changed the curfew from 12 to 11 and you have to put on a sticker for 1 year. thats if its your own car and not your parents.

current: '07 e92 335i - '10 e92 m3 - '08 ducati 848
Appreciate 0