E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > ATTN: BMW Knowledge Needed!

04-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
ATTN: BMW Knowledge Needed!

One of my possibles if my MR2 T goes on Monday is an E46 BMW 330Ci SE, now a while ago I had a 330Ci Sport Automatic, this is a 330Ci SE manual and though I can tell what bodywork on the car is different I'd like to know about other differences.

i. Power?
ii. Suspension?
iii. Anything else I need to know about the differences in these cars?

Is the sport spec purely a nicer looking front bumper and a set of very hard to clean wheels coupled with a load of ///M badges OR is there something more substancial than that?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
One of my possibles if my MR2 T goes on Monday is an E46 BMW 330Ci SE, now a while ago I had a 330Ci Sport Automatic, this is a 330Ci SE manual and though I can tell what bodywork on the car is different I'd like to know about other differences.

i. Power?
ii. Suspension?
iii. Anything else I need to know about the differences in these cars?

Is the sport spec purely a nicer looking front bumper and a set of very hard to clean wheels coupled with a load of ///M badges OR is there something more substancial than that?
In North America, the ///M option on an Exx is just cosmetics, which makes for a more aggressive look.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

As per the E9x's the M sport treatment is mild cosmetics and suspension.

You'll have sports seats in lieu of the standard; they'll be half alacantara if not full full leather.

Will be running sports suspension as standard. Circa 15mm lower than SE and firmer. A 330 will most likely be wearing 18" wheels with staggered 225f/255r tyres.

Body work-wise it will have different front and rear bumpers (with a lip on the bootlid IIRC). The window trims will be black in place of the polished silver/stainless surrounds on the SE.

Usual smattering of M badges; small badges to the wheels, door sills, gear knob and steering wheel.

No additional power.

Oops - thought you had an SE in the past and were looking at a sport. Re-read your thread and realised it was the other way round. In which case, the above is what you'll miss out on

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, for the info Sheps

I can get hold of one for £2,750 ono (£2.5K it is then!!) on a 51, 89K with SH, 6 months T&T. Have a feeling I could make a bit of money on it so if my MR2T goes I may well go for it

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Have you had an insurance quote?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I personally don't like the E46 SE seats at all - missus had an E46 compact in SE trim, and the seats were very flat and unsupportive. Almost fell out of 'em on roundabouts! The M sport models had very nice Alcantara or Leather seats with side bolsters.

It's all down to personal taste - I have always tended to go for the sporty model in just about every car I have owned as I prefer the stiffer suspension, sportier seats and trim, etc.. Other prefer the complete opposite and prefer a softer ride, etc..

As a petrol head Nic, I would have thought a sport model would have suited your driving style and image better?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Red - as insuracne was only £900 at 18 for the Sport Automatic I doubt it'll be over £700 now so nothing to worry about there.

It's certainly not a keeper so not really bothered about what it drives like as I don't think it would last a month, as don't see any reason why I couldn't make money on it. Hence needing to know about it

Hoping that mine goes for the reserve (which is £700 profit and buys this without putting any cash to it), if I went for this I'd clean it up and put it straight back up for sale at £3300ono etc. etc.

Got a bit of challenge on with a friend of mine who says I can't get back into a 911 SC (or better) before Sept. '10 ... without spending over £1,000 / STC fund etc. just through swapping cars, while it remains to be seen and I'm well up for any challenge which involves buying and selling cars

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

I think you should double check the insurance on this as I doubt it's any cheaper than the MR2.

Did I read you owned an Automatic? I thought you hated them with a passion or was it the 330 that did that for you.
      04-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

E46 SE had a tad too much body roll for me, but a still a crackin car and you will enjoy it
      04-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I think you should double check the insurance on this as I doubt it's any cheaper than the MR2.

Did I read you owned an Automatic? I thought you hated them with a passion or was it the 330 that did that for you.
Any performance Jap turbo car seems to be expensive for me, probably because they are imports?? Not sure, BMWs are usually cheap to insure. Porsche provided it can be put on Classic with my broker are usually fairly cheap and MGs / other Brits / cars over 25 years old are as cheap as chips, don't ask me why I haven't a clue!

Yes I did own an Automatic 330Ci, no it wasn't the 330 that did that, basically I really wanted the car and said to the salesman on the test drive that I didn't like the 'box, he said I'd get used to it and never want another manual I was rather stupid in believing him!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0