E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Parking Sensors / Telephone!??

05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Parking Sensors / Telephone!??

As with my earlier post - just after a bit of fact finding!

My owners handbook suggests that the reverse parking sensors on my car are enabled underneath the AC controls - this area is blank on my car. However on my left hand steering wheel stalk (above the cruise) I have a similar logo (a P with arrows on it). It doesn't seem to do anything though so it's confused me! The car was sold with reversing sensors and I can see them at the rear of the car.

Any ideas!??

Also, I have a telephone button on my steering wheel and on my professional radio but pressing it doesn't seem to do anying. Again, apologies for the novice questions - searching on the forum didn't find any similar questions so i'm probably being thick!

Only had the car 2 days though so please let me off :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlerobbo View Post

My owners handbook suggests that the reverse parking sensors on my car are enabled underneath the AC controls - this area is blank on my car. However on my left hand steering wheel stalk (above the cruise) I have a similar logo (a P with arrows on it). It doesn't seem to do anything though so it's confused me! The car was sold with reversing sensors and I can see them at the rear of the car.

Any ideas!??

Also, I have a telephone button on my steering wheel and on my professional radio but pressing it doesn't seem to do anying. Again, apologies for the novice questions - searching on the forum didn't find any similar questions so i'm probably being thick!

The button under the climate controls is to activate / deactivate the front PDC sensors - if fitted. Rear sensors are always active when in reverse.

Do you have bluetooth? If not, then I don't believe that the phone button will do anything. If you do have bluetooth, then the button will answer incoming calls or redial the last number.

Congrats on the car
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlerobbo View Post

Any ideas!??

The P on the stalk is to activate Parking lights using the indicators and turning off the car when indicating one side or the other.

Phone will only work if your car is Bluetooth activated and a mobile phone is paired to the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, thanks for the replies (feel a bit silly now though!). The reason I suspected parking sensors weren't working was because on my previous car when I put it in reverse it immediately went BEEP to say they had come on. Maybe that's just not the case in the BMW.

I presume something would happen when I press the telephone button if I did have bluetooth. Can't seem to find anything when I search with my mobile phone either ...

Would I be correct in thinking I can get a retrofit kit that would enable this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Hi Idlerobbo,

Congrats on the new car.

If you have a fin on the rear of the roof, then it is likely you have the bluetooth. If not, the most preferred option if you want a stealth install (no screen) is the Parrot CK3000 Evolution kit - this can be linked via a Parrot Multican kit or Connect2 kit (CTPPAR009) to operate via the stearing wheel buttons. I've just bought the CK3000 Evo and Connect2 kit for £120 in total which I will fit myself.

The rear parking sensors don't beep as you engage reverse. They start beeping when you are 5-6 feet away from an object and the beeping gets faster and becomes constant at about 9 inches.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info and welcomes to the boards here. I'm sure I will be a regular poster in no time!

I have now realised my reverse sensors work just fine, I think having previously had shorter rear ended cars in the past I was thinking I was a lot closer to things than I was for some reason. First time I still had to get my girlfriend to stand behind me whilst I reversed though just incase! Needless to say they worked just fine and not a scratch on her (or the girlfriend :-) )
Appreciate 0