E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Blow-Off Valve Arrived!

10-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i, JB/CR

Cool Active Autowerke Blow-Off Valve Arrived!

Hey guys,

I've just received my Active Autowerke Blow-Off Valve Kit after a 1 month wait as I shipped it overseas from the US

Took a few photos of the Box contents ... Box not available because I told them to unpack it to reduce shipping price.

Has anyone bought one before? Does this look complete?

Can't wait to install it and hear that Woooooossshhhhh sound!

Cheers!!

Last edited by Aphrodisiac; 11-19-2009 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
s1cke92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nice! congrats on being a ricer! LOL kidding. i had one but i parted out my car. still want another but no money for that at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Looks to be everything. You should be set. It's a pain to install the first time... you gotta muscle it over the throttle body. Hope you enjoy it... I need to put mine back in this weekend.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
badass1g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

i bought a UR kit with hks ss bov, took me 40 mins to slowly put it all on, one of the easiest mods ive ever done, i bet next time i do it it will take me less than 10 mins.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Sweet!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

When you install this do not try to take the line off of the nipple on the manifold, you will just end up breaking it. I've seen alot of threads with people breaking it. Just cap off one side of the T and run the line from the other side.
      10-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

i m in love with wooosssh sound! but since i got all mods for performance had to choose FD valves.. wish could have both

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Still one of my favorite mods, love the sound!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
s1cke92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

im gon buy my old aa bov and put it back on with afe intake would i have problems in the rain with this nick? since one of you guys have the red one. with vented hood also. lol forgot who was the owner of that car. was it jon?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

We are running that setup on both our 335 and 135. No issues with vents and rain, we just had a NASTY storm here in NorCal. The intake is positioned at the center of the hood so it is not exposed to the vent, the BOV is also not effected by water coming in.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

I have a vented hood also and I have DCI and even when it rains alot its still fine.
      10-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Wink

Thanks guys!!

Before buying the AA BOV, I checked a few other ones such as ********, HKS and ACS but I found that that the AA sounds sexiest among all of them and it's nicely engineered with high quality materials.

I'll update you with some videos as soon as I install this bad boy
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

It certainly is, one of my favorite upgrades. The PSHHH is addicting.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Looks good.
Let us know how the install goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
Great BOV, got one too. Installing the part to the throttle body, just lube it with engine oil, and you'll be fine. Have fun!

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats!! Post some videos when install is done
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Thumbs up AA BOV Finally installed!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I got my Active Autowerke Blow-Off Valve installed at my Mechanics Garage.

It took him less than 15 minutes to install it! And it's working just fine

Finally in place and ready to WOOSSHHHH

Can't tell you how much it's turnin heads...

It wooshes like crazy especially when there are buildings and cars around because it echoes more. People try to identify the source of the sound and they surprisingly realize that it's actually coming from a GERMAN BMW

How sexy is that? A turbocharged BMW 335i releasing the extra pressure in its Twin Turbochargers

The sound is certainly different than the Subaru WRX's one, it's much classier, more elegant and refined and what's good about it is that you can make it Woosh whenever you want, you just have to accelerate and release the pedal and it'll do its job. And if you're on a Manual Tranny, then you'll obviously do it without realizing it.

The sound intensity is related to the Compressor Surge phenomenon... The higher the air compressed inside, the louder the BOV evacuates air. I'm noticing that the highest peek of this phenomenon occurs when intensely accelerating on 4th or 5th gear then suddenly releasing the gas pedal... It's great!

I'm very happy with the easy installation process, and most importantly the QUALITY of the materials used. It's precisely engineered with very refined and tough materials (even higher than the stock one) and it looks like it was perfectly designed for OEM fitting

So bottom line, I'm very pleased with Active Autowerke reliability and I recommend this product to anyone although it might be considerably more expensive than any other 335i BOVs on the market but I think it's worth the extra money.

And by the way, it doesn't add any extra power to the car... This is a myth. It enhances the lifetime of the Turbochargers though because it decreases the pressure they are exposed to.

So enough talking now, I'm sure you wanna see some photos of the installation. Sorry for the low quality but I only had my Phone Camera available over there...

Enjoy! WOOOOOSSSHHHH

He didn't even take a look at that one!! Wasted print-paper!! hehe
You might wanna use it though if you're installing it yourself..

Removing the Air-Intake Filter Compartment

The Blow-Off Valve Horn doesn't actually touch the Steering pump on its right... So don't worry

Final Result!

Just a thought... A Mercedes CL63 AMG Vs. my Ride... Why not?!

I'll update the threads with some videos soon!!

Alright now I have to go cruise around the city and Woosh up the place a little bit!

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Nice!! I've got the same setup on my car as well and love it!!

FWIW, when you get a chance, you might want to change those cheap hose clamps to t-bolt clamps. This way the charge pipe won't pop off under full boost when you tune your car. That's also due to the excess oil in the charge pipe which makes it greasy/slippery.

Then, I'd swap out that mediocre 2-ply silicon hose provided by AA and go with a 4-ply. Because there's a metal conduit/line of some sort that literally sits right under that silicon hose, and it WILL rub against the hose. Over time, you will end up with a hole, and under full boost, that hole will expand as do the hose, causing a leak which is not good.

Both had happened to me before, luckily ETS found the hose with the hole in it (they showed me) while they're doing the R&D for my FMIC and swapped it out with their 4-ply silicon hose.

Just my .02 from personal experience. Aside from that, enjoy!!

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post

FWIW, when you get a chance, you might want to change those cheap hose clamps to t-bolt clamps. This way the charge pipe won't pop off under full boost when you tune your car. That's also due to the excess oil in the charge pipe which makes it greasy/slippery.

Then, I'd swap out that mediocre 2-ply silicon hose provided by AA and go with a 4-ply. Because there's a metal conduit/line of some sort that literally sits right under that silicon hose, and it WILL rub against the hose. Over time, you will end up with a hole, and under full boost, that hole will expand as do the hose, causing a leak which is not good.

Both had happened to me before, luckily ETS found the hose with the hole in it (they showed me) while they're doing the R&D for my FMIC and swapped it out with their 4-ply silicon hose.

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
cuban335i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive

The Cl63 will kill your car..
'12 e92 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo - ADV.1 ADV10, Volk TE37SL, OSS, Innotech F1, Arkym, iND
'09 e92 335i Alpine White/Saddle Brown - fully modded
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #21
john boxter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93

very nice review only thing scaring me is that hose tearing that was mentioned above
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #22
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:

Wise clarification mate...

I wouldn't worry about that because I am not planning to tune the car for the time being I want to enjoy the stock power which is more than enough for now ... But I am suspecting an air leakage because I am hearing a "Turbine spin" sort of sound right after the woosh is that normal? I said that because when I installed the BOV, the Mechanics dude wanted to give the ride a quick try to ensure that everything is working well but without installing the Air Filtering System because it was just a quicky try. When we ran Air-Filterless, it produced that "Turbine sound" I talked about and he said it's normal and it will go away when the Air-Filter is back; and in fact it did. And now it came back and this is why after reading your post I am thinking again.

Anyways, my BMW 335i is used and I got it shipped from the US all over here because a Brand New one would with the Packages and options that I wanted would have cost me a stunning $130,000 from the BMW Factory.

Since my car is used, I am not so sure whether my car is tuned or not... Nothing visually apparent and I can't judge whether I feel an extra power or not because I haven't driven/raced with other 335is... But I still don't know if my ECU is replaced by a tuned one for example.

However, there is a yellow "Paul Miller" sticker on my front air intake. I googled it and apparently Paul Miller is the BMW NJ Dealer. I contacted them hoping to get a Service History for my car but they refused to give it to me under some Privacy law, but they told me that my guarantee is still valid till 50,000 miles, which suggests that the car isn't tuned otherwise the guarantee would have been voided.

I guess I will double check those pipes and clamps you were talking about!
Appreciate 0