E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Lake County Hydro Tech

11-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Lake County Hydro Tech

Has anyone tried these new LC Hydro Tech pads? Just curious to hear what you guys think. Received an email from DI this morning since they are now available from there, but today is my first time hearing about them.

http://www.detailedimage.com/find.ph...o+tech&x=0&y=0

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Rickrack
Private
Rep
Drives: 03' Corvette Z06, 99' Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Has anyone tried these new LC Hydro Tech pads? Just curious to hear what you guys think. Received an email from DI this morning since they are now available from there, but today is my first time hearing about them.

http://www.detailedimage.com/find.ph...o+tech&x=0&y=0

These pads are absolutely incredible, but wouldn't recommend them on your Jet Black paint. I'd stick with traditional style pads for your car.

I have lots of experience with this type of foam and must say that it absolutely blows away the competition, bar none. I have been using this type of foam for over a year now (identical foam as Scholl Concepts blue) and it is amazing on most paints, particularly hard paint.

When you first feel the pads, you think "There's no way I'm polishing the paint with this", because the pad itself feels very coarse and agressive. Once the pad is saturated with polish (I always apply a bead of polish to the outer edge of the pad and apply a small bead of polish on the panel), these pads cut like no tomorrow, but finish off amazing. The cyan (blue) pad with say, SIP, cuts like a super-agressive compound, but will finish off almost hologram free and will just need a quick zip over with a finishing polish paired with a finishing pad. They are truly amazing and cut just as well as a heavy compound on a wool pad, minus the marring.

I detail a lot of BMW's, which have some pretty hard clear (besides Jet Black). These pads have made my life so much easier it's not even funny. They will heat up the paint fast, so be very careful with them until you get the hang of them.

The only downfall is they don't last as long as a traditional foam pads, but the key is to keep the edges of the pad saturated with polish. This will help extend the life of the pad. Even if the pad only lasted 1 car (it lasts longer), it would be totally worth the cost.

If I had to compare the cyan pad to another pad, I would compare it to the Scholl Concepts blue foam and the Menzerna white foam.

The tangerine pad is comparable to a white pad, but has a little more cut and finishes off even better. You can easily finish off with this pad, but might want to follow up with a black pad on dark colors and/or softer paint.

I am so glad these pads are readily available now. It's definitely worth picking up a bunch of these!! I just ordered a bunch from Detailed Image and love that they carry them in the 5.5 inch size.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I agree w/ Rickrack.

I don't use these pads on the European paints just because the chances of causing more work for yourself isn't worth it. Import & domestic paints love these pads.

Appreciate 0