E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Nitrous Express EFI Nitrous Kit / Progressive Controller / Acces. **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

02-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #45
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Great writeup!
      02-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #46
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

great write up FBI thank you for taking your time and providing the community with such useful information
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #47
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Very nice reveiw!!! I didn't see an automatic bottle opener? I ran a 150 shot on my GTO and could not live with out my opener.
From my experiance with braided lines on Nitrous systems, check them often where ever they make contact with other lines and metal frame sections. You would be suprised how fast they can act like sand paper and eat through something you don't want it to or be eaten away by a piece of frame.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey FBIS...since its a dry system...would this kit also work with your NOS controller...This is a good idea for those people that don't want to run that large tank in the trunk!!
I have always wondered once the tank runs out of the NOS, where do you refill the tank at??
http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/nos...-pete-kits.asp
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #49
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
ar design, thank you for all the help along the way.
      02-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #50
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Great writeup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOST3D View Post
great write up FBI thank you for taking your time and providing the community with such useful information
GreenPlease and BOOST3D, thanks for the kind words.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #51
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
Very nice reveiw!!! I didn't see an automatic bottle opener? I ran a 150 shot on my GTO and could not live with out my opener.
From my experiance with braided lines on Nitrous systems, check them often where ever they make contact with other lines and metal frame sections. You would be suprised how fast they can act like sand paper and eat through something you don't want it to or be eaten away by a piece of frame.
Chefcg1, I didn not get the automatic bottle opener yet, but I still may in the future. I wanted to get this review completed, so passed for the time being. All my fuel lines are zip tied, so they should be held in place well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #52
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Hey FBIS...since its a dry system...would this kit also work with your NOS controller...This is a good idea for those people that don't want to run that large tank in the trunk!!
I have always wondered once the tank runs out of the NOS, where do you refill the tank at??
You can get smaller bottles from Nitrous Express. They have bottles starting as small as 3.5 oz and up to 15 lb bottles. There is a ton of flexibility and I think they may be offering free bottle heaters right now.

Filling nitrous can be done at any speed shop anywhere. It is a 5 minute process and cost about $4.50 per pound.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #53
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Chefcg1, I didn not get the automatic bottle opener yet, but I still may in the future. I wanted to get this review completed, so passed for the time being. All my fuel lines are zip tied, so they should be held in place well.
You wont regret it, i used to run no bottle opener, and it seemed like everytime i needed the juice, I was unable to open the bottle without pulling over. (making it hard to play on the hwy in "mexico").

The wiring is a little tedious, but I know you can handle it. Highly recommend!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #54
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes that would work, but you would be refilling that like crazy!!! When I ran NO2 (150 shot) I would get 3 runs out of a 10# bottle. I'm sure you would get more only doing a 35-50 shot. The key is tank pressure! You need that tank above 800 and that is why you need the heater. To get the tank filled you would have to check around with local performance stores, local track and sometimes the local welders supply store may have a lead on some. Prices range from $3.50-$5.50 a pound....not cheap!

For those who are not familiar with how nitrous feels it isn't anything like it is portrayed in the movies like” Fast and Furious.” It is a very subtle feeling and that is with a 150 shot I’m sure a 35 shot would be very hard to notice. I had one friend describe it as very Vtech; basically the difference is there but not night and day. Nitrous is a nice power adder and can be very safe if done right. It is relatively inexpensive for the potential gains, but the refills on NO2 can get expensive very fast for the NO2 addict.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #55
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yes that would work, but you would be refilling that like crazy!!! When I ran NO2 (150 shot) I would get 3 runs out of a 10# bottle. I'm sure you would get more only doing a 35-50 shot. The key is tank pressure! You need that tank above 800 and that is why you need the heater. To get the tank filled you would have to check around with local performance stores, local track and sometimes the local welders supply store may have a lead on some. Prices range from $3.50-$5.50 a pound....not cheap!

For those who are not familiar with how nitrous feels it isn't anything like it is portrayed in the movies like” Fast and Furious.” It is a very subtle feeling and that is with a 150 shot I’m sure a 35 shot would be very hard to notice. I had one friend describe it as very Vtech; basically the difference is there but not night and day. Nitrous is a nice power adder and can be very safe if done right. It is relatively inexpensive for the potential gains, but the refills on NO2 can get expensive very fast for the NO2 addict.
Thanks for the reply...I figured the tank would be too small! I also know the refills can be costly too, but hey for those people that want it all, I guess this can be an option......FBIS looking forward to seeing what you can do in a quarter mile!! I want to see some 10's
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #56
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

I think it would totally destroy the DCT Clutch with that insane amount of torque! AHHHHH Why can't I run nitrous in my country

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #57
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I disagree on this entirely... But I guess people feel things differently. Only reason I chose to post on your comment was cause I dont want people disuaded by this comment. (my intention is not to stir up a fight or cause drama, seriously).

To put into perspective the REAL feeling of when nitrous hits....

My last car had just a 25 shot, when it hit in 3rd gear from a roll, it would break the tires loose instantly. If thats not instant seat in the pants power IDK what is.

Last but not least, a 2nd gear roll on the street would induce instant wheel spin right to redline.

I have videos showing this if anyone has interest, in the videos I start from a 40 MPH roll, 3rd gear, as I creep to 5500 RPM which is where the nitrous engaged I break loose (yes in 3rd gear). <--- again 25 shot.
(I cant view videos of youtube at work or I would post them)

You also find more punch with 950-1000 PSI.

My 25 shot would last me about 15 runs at the track, maybe more, I never had enough runs available to run out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #58
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
You wont regret it, i used to run no bottle opener, and it seemed like everytime i needed the juice, I was unable to open the bottle without pulling over. (making it hard to play on the hwy in "mexico").

The wiring is a little tedious, but I know you can handle it. Highly recommend!
I will consider it and if I do, you will read the review.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #59
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The 35 shot gave me about 90 rwhp and I assure you it is noticeable. My car will completely get sideways in 3rd gear from a roll.

I agree that the tiny bottles just don't make a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #60
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...I figured the tank would be too small! I also know the refills can be costly too, but hey for those people that want it all, I guess this can be an option......FBIS looking forward to seeing what you can do in a quarter mile!! I want to see some 10's
Clutch first, then track second.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #61
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

excellent write up
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #62
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I disagree on this entirely... But I guess people feel things differently. Only reason I chose to post on your comment was cause I dont want people disuaded by this comment. (my intention is not to stir up a fight or cause drama, seriously).

To put into perspective the REAL feeling of when nitrous hits....

My last car had just a 25 shot, when it hit in 3rd gear from a roll, it would break the tires loose instantly. If thats not instant seat in the pants power IDK what is.

Last but not least, a 2nd gear roll on the street would induce instant wheel spin right to redline.

I have videos showing this if anyone has interest, in the videos I start from a 40 MPH roll, 3rd gear, as I creep to 5500 RPM which is where the nitrous engaged I break loose (yes in 3rd gear). <--- again 25 shot.
(I cant view videos of youtube at work or I would post them)

You also find more punch with 950-1000 PSI.

My 25 shot would last me about 15 runs at the track, maybe more, I never had enough runs available to run out.
Not trying to dissuade anyone. And you are very right that people feel things differently and I'm sure nitrous does feel different hitting a NA V8 compared to a twin turbo 6. Plus I got very used to using nitrous (2-3 bottles a week) so the seat of the pants feel wore off quickly.

Also I agree that 950 and apove psi is optimal. 800psi is when I would stop and go get a refill.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #63
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 35 shot gave me about 90 rwhp and I assure you it is noticeable. My car will completely get sideways in 3rd gear from a roll.

I agree that the tiny bottles just don't make a lot of sense.
WOW, I didn't realize that you were getting 90rwhp from a 35 shot. I'm also sure the gearing difference in the 335i six speed and my experiance with an auto 4 in the GTO made for a lot of difference in how it hits and feels. Anyhow; great review and keep us up to date with how it all performs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #64
Acuracy
SAYPL335
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335 FBO - 16 F80 M3

Dude Excellent review and write up as usual man. You're going to get a lot of PMs from me when i do this over the summer/fall so i hope you don't mind. It seems u got this down and while i have a good idea of what needs to be done, a little extra help will never hurt, especially with the progressive controller.

Good Job Dude

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #65
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will consider it and if I do, you will read the review.
Quote:
Not trying to dissuade anyone. And you are very right that people feel things differently and I'm sure nitrous does feel different hitting a NA V8 compared to a twin turbo 6. Plus I got very used to using nitrous (2-3 bottles a week) so the seat of the pants feel wore off quickly.

Also I agree that 950 and apove psi is optimal. 800psi is when I would stop and go get a refill.

Just to reiterate the advantage I had with that small shot, as I mentioned earlier it increased my trap speed by 8 MPH. That's huge.

Although yes, the application of this 25 s hot was a on a heatsoaked supercharged 4 cylinder FWD, 2800lb car.

Which does factor in. No dyno results, but it was estimated seeing the increase in trap speed that the 25 shot added about 50-60WHP and about the same on torque too.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 02-24-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #66
RxBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 M Sport

WOW, those numbers with stock motor are awesome.
Appreciate 0