E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Q for the techies!

04-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Q for the techies!

My laptop has been playing up for a wee while - shutting itself down, a 'blue screen fatal error' message (that it recovered from so not fatal...then).

Last night I switched it on and I got black screen and one long beep followed by two shorter beeps (really loud!). I recall from when my motherboard packed it in 18 months ago folk telling me what the beeps actually represent. I fear that it is dead which is annoying after only 18 months since I had a new motherboard installed.

Interested if I can get a diagnosis from one of the experts here!

Cheers

John
      04-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
My laptop has been playing up for a wee while - shutting itself down, a 'blue screen fatal error' message (that it recovered from so not fatal...then).

Last night I switched it on and I got black screen and one long beep followed by two shorter beeps (really loud!). I recall from when my motherboard packed it in 18 months ago folk telling me what the beeps actually represent. I fear that it is dead which is annoying after only 18 months since I had a new motherboard installed.

Interested if I can get a diagnosis from one of the experts here!

Cheers

John
If you could get back to the blue screen message and write down the code numbers given you would stand a chance of diagnosing the fault.

Would need to know the exact model of laptop. A quick search on google suggests that those beeps probably mean a display adaptor problem. Since this is probably integral to the motherboard a replacement may not be possible, but a repair could be:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

the link above is good which states your beeping is a video card driver problem. but depending on your laptop model then it could be a different issue

can you boot into safemode? reboot machine and hit f8 before the machine logo shows

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
If you could get back to the blue screen message and write down the code numbers given you would stand a chance of diagnosing the fault.

Would need to know the exact model of laptop. A quick search on google suggests that those beeps probably mean a display adaptor problem. Since this is probably integral to the motherboard a replacement may not be possible, but a repair could be:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223
Cheers NFS - good link. My laptop is an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (dv2000 Series). I've had it about 3 years and midway through that period it made similar beeps (I think) and needed as new motherboard - which is what I read from the link - long beep followed by two short beeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
the link above is good which states your beeping is a video card driver problem. but depending on your laptop model then it could be a different issue

can you boot into safemode? reboot machine and hit f8 before the machine logo shows
Thanks chinoxs. I tried that but nothing. Just the same long followed by 2 shorts. Holding the F8 down just made it more angry... a couple of extra short beeps after the regular pattern!
      04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Those angry beeps could be normal angry beeps. If you don't hit f8 at the right time it will beep at you after the screen goes black. If you can get into safe mode we can try to remove the video driver from device manager.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0