E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Bad Buff Job

12-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
RAG
Rep
Drives: All Kinds

Bad Buff Job

My first thread, so hopefully the pictures attach for me.

These pictures are from a customer's new 330 - dealership performed a "courtesy" buff for her and tore her paint up! I told her I could fix it (I showed her that I could by buffing out a test panel...front left fender), but she wants to take it back to the dealership before she pays me out of pocket. Needless to say, I highly doubt the dealerhip has anyone on staff that can buff a black car out via rotary and not get halograms (buffer swirls).

It's a sad sight

Ryan
Magic Mobile Detailing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I would also want something else from the dealership, accesories, products. I would be SO pissed off if someone did that to my paint! The guy who did it must have noticed it is really "f"ed up, but gave it back anyway!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG

These pictures are from a customer's new 330 - dealership performed a "courtesy" buff for her and tore her paint up!
courtesy buff? you mean a courtesy F-ck my car up.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
SaskE90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: titanium silver 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325
I would also want something else from the dealership, accesories, products. I would be SO pissed off if someone did that to my paint! The guy who did it must have noticed it is really "f"ed up, but gave it back anyway!
+1
      12-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Hey Ryan; that's a pretty good one! I'd give it a solid 6/10 score on the "dealership screwed my paint up" meter. You and I both know she will probably be back when the dealership messes it up again; can't wait to see the "afters"!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
RAG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Hey Ryan; that's a pretty good one! I'd give it a solid 6/10 score on the "dealership screwed my paint up" meter. You and I both know she will probably be back when the dealership messes it up again; can't wait to see the "afters"!
The dealership was Kearny Measa BMW in San Diego I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I don't know what her story is. She's kind of a new client, but I take care of a couple of her co-workers cars (one of which is black) and they both told her to listed to what I have to say like gospel, but I'm guessing she doesn't go to church because I'm 99% sure she's been taking it through the local car wash (told her not to) and she hasn't pursued the dealership as I suggested. Sad to say this may end up being just another one of those tore-up black vehicles on the road...too bad cause I wash cars for her work every other week and could have helped her mainain it perfectly (I was looking forward to it in fact).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm 99% sure she's been taking it through the local car wash (told her not to.)
Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.
      12-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

I had those, the first time the buffed my car. How do I take them out?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG

These pictures are from a customer's new 330 - dealership performed a "courtesy" buff for her and tore her paint up! I told her I could fix it (I showed her that I could by buffing out a test panel...front left fender), but she wants to take it back to the dealership before she pays me out of pocket. Needless to say, I highly doubt the dealerhip has anyone on staff that can buff a black car out via rotary and not get halograms (buffer swirls).

It's a sad sight

Ryan
Magic Mobile Detailing
Yikes--courtesy my ass!!! :mad:
      12-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
RAG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBimm
I had those, the first time the buffed my car. How do I take them out?
Ideally you could find a good professional to take care of it for you (of course, keep in mind I am a professional myself). AND, I stress "good," as there are a lot of "hack" professionals out there. And if your ride is black, it gets even harder to find someone who can do it right - you can always use a DA machine (dual action polisher), but a DA polisher takes much much longer and usually cannot leave the same quality finish as a rotary (it's a subtle difference and a long story to explain why, but if you wanted to learn more there is plently of research to be had on Autopia...or just ask me and I'll explain).

Like I said above, you could possibly do it yourself with a DA machine (like a Porter Cable), but chances are it will take you a couple days (depending on severity of the buffer swirls and your experience level)...so it's really a matter of "what's your time worth."

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
RAG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer
Penny Wise and Pound Foolish.
Exactly. Unfortunately, this phenomenon plagues our society in general. "You get what you pay for" holds pretty true in most service industries. As a detailer, I see it all day long - most car washes would have to pay me to let them touch (or should I say - "damage") my cars. Most people are just clueless, but I was pretty sure I expained it to her pretty carefully. Shoot, I'd say 95% of cars on the road are in horrible shape, and when I gripe that nobody seems to understand what proper care care entails...my wife always tells me "people just don't care." Oh yeah, then why does just about everybody out there "stretch" (financially) to get themselves into the nicest car they can afford if they don't care about cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Ya, there is a thread on Autopia right now about people who ask your opinion as a detailer, then ignore your advice. It happens all the time and it's almost always to save a buck. Oh well. :/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Ya, there is a thread on Autopia right now about people who ask your opinion as a detailer, then ignore your advice. It happens all the time and it's almost always to save a buck. Oh well. :/
Yeah, oh well, more business for us!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
courtesy buff? you mean a courtesy F-ck my car up.
. Ain't that the truth. Reason #1021 for why someone should never let the dealership detail their car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Are people not using the Porter-Cable Random Orbital Polisher/Sander? I thought the PC was to prevent this kind of problem. Not that I am an expert, but I just got the PC and hope to not cause this damage. Though I know the pain of this, my last car was black and some did a number on the paint.

Cheers,

Chuck
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26
Are people not using the Porter-Cable Random Orbital Polisher/Sander? I thought the PC was to prevent this kind of problem. Not that I am an expert, but I just got the PC and hope to not cause this damage. Though I know the pain of this, my last car was black and some did a number on the paint.

Cheers,

Chuck
I can assure you that the dealer is not using a PC. They use a rotary to do the job as fast as they can and that is the result. A good professional detailer can use a rotary and not leave those holograms, but it takes a lot of experience. An home amateur like me can use the PC safely and effectively with a little practice. As long as you maintain the finish by being careful while washing and drying the PC should serve you well for correcting minor scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
RAG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26

Cheers,

Chuck
Yeah, the PC is almost error-proof. You selected the proper tool. As stated above, the primary deficit of the PC is the speed at which it can correct paint (slow), but at least it's safe and easy to use. The only other knock is that, on some black vehicles, the PC can leave a slight degree of micro-marring (little tiny gashes) becuase it rubs the abrasive particles back and forth whereas a rotary "rolls" the particles around...the the difference is subtle and most people shouldn't concern themselve with this.

Happy polishing.
Appreciate 0