E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best suspension kit for e90 335i

07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Best suspension kit for e90 335i

i have the sport package now, and i want to take it to the next level.
What is the best suspension upgrade for the e90?
Blisten?
Koni?
Tein?
Ive been researching coil overs but i cant figure out which one to get.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Not going to consider KW or Tc-Kline?

What do you want it to do and how much can you spend?

If I did it again I would have done m3 front control arms, pss9/10, camber plates, UUC front bar, m3 rear bar, and m3 sub-frame bushings.

Now I have m3 front bar and control arms, JIC coils and camber plates, stock rear bar. I have m3 sub-frame bushings but I chickened out before putting them in.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
i have the sport package now, and i want to take it to the next level.
What is the best suspension upgrade for the e90?
Blisten?
Koni?
Tein?
Ive been researching coil overs but i cant figure out which one to get.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Eibach pros or sportlines with koni yellow.

Excellent ride quality and extremely improved performance. you wont regret it. its as if it is a whole new car. I absolutely love it. you can read my small review about it in this section, or read about Eibach pro and Koni fsd. I prefer the yellows though...
      07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Not going to consider KW or Tc-Kline?

What do you want it to do and how much can you spend?

If I did it again I would have done m3 front control arms, pss9/10, camber plates, UUC front bar, m3 rear bar, and m3 sub-frame bushings.

Now I have m3 front bar and control arms, JIC coils and camber plates, stock rear bar. I have m3 sub-frame bushings but I chickened out before putting them in.
wow, is that better than all the coilovers? where can i get that
And im looking to spend about 1500
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
Eibach pros or sportlines with koni yellow.

Excellent ride quality and extremely improved performance. you wont regret it. its as if it is a whole new car. I absolutely love it. you can read my small review about it in this section, or read about Eibach pro and Koni fsd. I prefer the yellows though...
wow, and that only costs about 700 all together huh?
A lot cheaper than coilovers, but is it as good?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep

Coilovers are good if you want adjustable height. yes, they are nicer, but for the money I don't think it worth it. The springs and shocks set up is awesome. It i jut as good performance wise, without the dent in your wallet. Coilovers are adjustable so you can fine tune your ride, but if you aren't tracking it all the time, its not worth it.

Eibachs are around 250 shipped and konis I cant remember their pricing, but look around and find some deals. I would definitely go yellows over FSD, but thats a personal preference.

Performance wise its jut as good as the coilovers just without the adjustable height. With the yellows, it allows you to choose your stiffness, thus creating ability to fine tune if you want. without spending the money. You can go either soft or harsh depending on what you want to do.

I definitely recommend this, if you couldn't tell.

Let me know if you have specific questions. Glad to answer. Also open to interpretation if people think I am totally wrong.
      07-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Coilovers are good if you want adjustable height. yes, they are nicer, but for the money I don't think it worth it. The springs and shocks set up is awesome. It i jut as good performance wise, without the dent in your wallet. Coilovers are adjustable so you can fine tune your ride, but if you aren't tracking it all the time, its not worth it.

Eibachs are around 250 shipped and konis I cant remember their pricing, but look around and find some deals. I would definitely go yellows over FSD, but thats a personal preference.

Performance wise its jut as good as the coilovers just without the adjustable height. With the yellows, it allows you to choose your stiffness, thus creating ability to fine tune if you want. without spending the money. You can go either soft or harsh depending on what you want to do.

I definitely recommend this, if you couldn't tell.

Let me know if you have specific questions. Glad to answer. Also open to interpretation if people think I am totally wrong.
What do you think of H&R Sport Cup kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Whathedunks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonIce View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I highly recommend the H&R Cup kit. Think of it as coilovers without the adjust ability . They utilize H&R race or sport springs (depending on which version you choose, touring or sport) and shocks specifically valved to work in conjunction with these springs. Plus it's very reasonably priced...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
I highly recommend the H&R Cup kit. Think of it as coilovers without the adjust ability . They utilize H&R race or sport springs (depending on which version you choose, touring or sport) and shocks specifically valved to work in conjunction with these springs. Plus it's very reasonably priced...
So what you are basically saying is that the only difference between the Touring and the Sport Cup kit are the springs rite?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep

I dont have have any personal experience with those so I cant give you an honest answer. What I do know is the combo I explained earlier is awesome and performs great with great ride quality which were the two big issues for me.

H&R is going to be stiffer as they are linear springs as opposed to progressive of Eibachs. I have heard good things about them though, jut no personal experience.
      07-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
is there anyway to have as good of handling as an m3? or is that not possible with the after market parts available with for the 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what you are basically saying is that the only difference between the Touring and the Sport Cup kit are the springs rite?
Yes the Touring uses sport springs whereas Sport uses Race springs. Also the shocks are specifically valved for each spring set as well...so they are different.

Last edited by SV Concepts II; 07-26-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes only difference is that Touring uses sport springs whereas Sport uses Race springs.
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Edited original post. The shocks are different as it turns out, as they are specifically valved for the different spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Edited original post. The shocks are different as it turns out, as they are specifically valved for the different spring rates.
Haha... Thank anyway!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

There's only three names you should consider if you want the BEST.

Moton, Öhlin, and JRZ. Out of the three it's really between brand loyalty or which you can get cheapest. I happen to like Motons because we get a decent vendor discount on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep

I have never heard of any of those... but would love to know more about it... However, I trust Eibach and Koni hand down. No problems reported beyond personal preference, and for the price and quality... I dont think it can be beaten. but thats my opinion. whole point of these forums is to provide your own feedback.
      07-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There's only three names you should consider if you want the BEST.

Moton, Öhlin, and JRZ. Out of the three it's really between brand loyalty or which you can get cheapest. I happen to like Motons because we get a decent vendor discount on them.
Hahahaha. 99% of people on this board will never use those kinds of shocks to their full potential. Plus the same set will crap their pants at the cost. ;-) Great stuff though if you have the time and $$ to do it right.

gbreeE90 - why not look at the BMW performance set up? Nice modest drop on the E90, totally streetable, quality parts, a very complete kit, and couple it with the M3 arms up front; makes for a much improved handling car. I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Hahahaha. 99% of people on this board will never use those kinds of shocks to their full potential. Plus the same set will crap their pants at the cost. ;-) Great stuff though if you have the time and $$ to do it right.

gbreeE90 - why not look at the BMW performance set up? Nice modest drop on the E90, totally streetable, quality parts, a very complete kit, and couple it with the M3 arms up front; makes for a much improved handling car. I love mine.
99.95% of people on this board will NEVER use any sort of coil-over or suspension kits to their full potential. Heck the same can be said of factory NON-SPORT suspension. He did ask which is the best, THAT list I posted is the best, period. Nothing without remote reservoirs can even be mentioned in the same breath as "best" IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
SmashD
Life's a pitch and then you buy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36

Quote:
H&R is going to be stiffer as they are linear springs as opposed to progressive of Eibachs. I have heard good things about them though, jut no personal experience.

This is actually incorrect and it seems to be a common misconception that I hear. H&R sports and super sports are actually progressive (see link). All you really have to do to determine if springs are progressive vs linear is look at the coils. Notice the sport coils are much denser at one end, it is manufactured to be progressively stiffer as more pressure is applied onto it. Linear springs have an even coil throughout the spring.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/

Also to the OP, dont be afraid of linear springs. Most people on these boards will say progressive is the way to go but it really depends on what you plan on doing with your car. Progressives will be a lot softer for normal daily use but can also be too soft (floaty) when tracking. Linears are better for cars that you are tracking simply because you know what to expect regardless of the speed you are traveling.
Land Rover Discovery
Appreciate 0