E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Just installed BMW Performance exhaust

09-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
dre_2ooo
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

Thumbs up Just installed BMW Performance exhaust

Just put it this weekend and gotta say it sounds just like the one in "330iexhaustmovie" on youtube, although a bit quiter... I'm hoping it'll get louder once broken in!

Sorry don't have any clips, but I do have a couple install pics. Did it myself with a couple ramps, a torx T-50 socket to remove a metal plate, a free pipe-cutter rental from Autozone, some screwdrivers+WD-40 (to remove exhaust hangers), and a torque wrench to tighten the clamps that came with the new exhaust (35 ft/lbs or 45N-m).

It was pretty easy, except cutting the stock exhaust with a manual pipe cutter was a BITCH AND A HALF. I would NOT do that again if I knew how hard it is!

I can definitely hear it with the windows down & driving slower than 40mph. The best part is the popping and gurgling on deceleration! I can notice the car is a little livlier. With the A/C on, it feels like it did with the A/C off.

Sorry for blurry/camera phone pictures...it's all I had when I was under the car and thought to take pics!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

NICE!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

You will like it. It definatly gets louder but not too loud. Now you need to get the tips chopped at the muffler and shortened as they stick out way to far. I have a thread on this with photos as well.

Nice ride!
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

hmmm for some reason my tips still don't stick out as far. I actually have the full BMW perf exhaust now as compared to before when I just had the muffler. I also had the secondary cats cut off but I don't think that would affect my tips being shorter than others...weird
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

It is possible that your mid-pipe was cut shorter which would push the exhaust in further. If this is the case then your muffler may not be on the hangers straight. The hangers may be pushed inward which should not be an issue either. I wanted mine to be installed the correct way but it did make the tips stick out just as far. I shortened mine and they look perfect.

Either way great exhaust but watch out as you might get pigeons roosting on those tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_jeong89 View Post
hmmm for some reason my tips still don't stick out as far. I actually have the full BMW perf exhaust now as compared to before when I just had the muffler. I also had the secondary cats cut off but I don't think that would affect my tips being shorter than others...weird
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Nice job on the install. Having done a few myself, I opted to pay 80 bucks to save myself the sweat and aggrivation.

Its pretty sweet, I always have my sunroof cracked and my driver rear window down a bit so I can hear it. Rev match down shifts sound like sex.

I can just imagine when it gets to be winter here, snowing like a bitch, 20 degrees and a 25 mph lake wind... and I have my windows down like a jerk to hear my exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

I just ordered the OEM Perf Exhaust for my 335i.
Did it come with instructions on how far back to cut? I mean like from any reference point would be good but I can't imagine laying under there and trying to hold it up to decide where to cut it.
Not usre if that will work for me anyway as I already have some different stuff but hoping to not shop it again for this.
Looks great! Thanks for the pics and after hearing that Ill use my Sawzall to cut it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
¨nice , but be careful reversing, that you dont hit the tips ..

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
RaPiDneSs
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

if you dont mind how much did you get your BMW PE for?????
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
dre_2ooo
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

Ya, in real life, the tips don't look so bad. Everything lined up perfectly just like the stock exhaust did, but the tips do stick out a lil further.

I paid $1030 shipped for the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep

The tips look awful!

I had it like this for less than one day when I was walking around my car in the garage and my leg got all scratched up from the tips.

If you see my link below you will see what I did. 100% improvement!

All 3 pages will have photos. Page 3 shows the actual cuts on the muffler that we had done to shorten it up like factory. I suggest everyone do this.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350586

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre_2ooo View Post
Ya, in real life, the tips don't look so bad. Everything lined up perfectly just like the stock exhaust did, but the tips do stick out a lil further.

I paid $1030 shipped for the exhaust.
Appreciate 0