E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Engine Cover Paint

03-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
skarl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport BSM

DIY - Engine Cover Paint

I'm always tinkering around under the hood, figured I should spruce things up

What you need:

All Dupli-Clolor, all from Canadian Tire
1 can – Adhesion Promoter #47-6558-8
1 can – Metalcast Ground Coat #47-7509-0
1 can – Metalcast Anodized Red #47-7514-6
1 can – Clear Engine Enamel #47-7528-4

PREP

Pop off the logo from underneath. Bend the metal pins straight up. You should have access to it under the insulating foam.

Lightly sand it down. If you really want a glossier, smoother finish, enough to see your ugly reflection; it’ll require some elbow grease as the cover has a rough finish to begin with(400 grit to 800 grit.. whatever finish you desire, as long as most of the natural black plastic sheen is gone, you should be ok).

Wash it off nicely and make sure it’s fully degreased (any good cleaner mixed with water). Dry it up good: I went at it with my leaf blower then patted it down with a micro fiber.

Environment: Warm preferably (I worked in my 15C garage), dry (low humidity), clean (you don’t want any particles falling on your shit), ventilated (please don’t blame me for any brain damage. I left my garage door half a foot open with the side door fully open).

PAINTING

Spray the clear adhesion promoter in a smooth sweeping motion, like a Chinese lady doing tai chi on her front lawn, and give it one light coat. Wait 5 min and give it a second coat, 5 min, and a third. Wait 10 min. Since this is a clear spray, just be aware of how many times you go over 1 spot.

Spray the Metalcast Ground coat. This ground coat in itself looks beautiful (nice metal specks). Again, one light coat at first, don’t expect to cover everything in silver, it’s supposed to look like its faded and you should still be able to see some black plastic after the 1st coat. This is a good thing. Wait 15 min, 2nd coat (majority should be covered), 15 min, 3rd coat (everything should be silver and fairly even). Wait 30 min.

Now I chose to go with the silver ground coat as my stripe color. Mark it off with some painters tape and use a hobby knife. I ended up painting it again after I colored everything red (silly me).

Go at it with the MetalCast Color coat, again, following the same recipe as the ground coat. 1 light coat, 2 medium coats. 15 min between each. Wait 30 min. If you missed a spot don’t spray directly. Always start spraying to the side (on newspaper) and lightly “dust” the paint on in a zig-zag motion.

Spray the Clear engine enamel, 3 coats, 10 minutes in between.

Let that bitch dry. After mine was dry to the touch, I took it into a small room with a space heater, leaving it overnight to dry.

Very carefully put back in the logo. Don't force it. I forced mine and it slightly marred my edges. You don't want that!
Also, just be careful if you are installing within 24 hours of painting. I grabbed a large microfiber and covered the back half like a condom, protecting the paint. Then I inserted it into the engine bay, pulling off the cloth once it was ready to be screwed in.

Sorry I wish I had more pictures, but most of this stuff is self explanatory.

If I missed anything or if any of you pros have suggestions, let me know =]

Have fun!!

Last edited by skarl; 03-16-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Picture sizes/spelling.
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      03-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Compman
Boosty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 RB 335i

I can't see images
      03-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
skarl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compman View Post
I can't see images
Fixed =] I was just re-sizing it. Came out huge.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Compman
Boosty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 RB 335i

Looks awesome!!! I want to do this
      03-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
batman_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep