E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

06-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #529
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reize View Post
Several... IV and Houses of the Holy, of course.
Good man!!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #530
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Yeah I have USB 1 so it is super super slow. I've re-formatted it and have 800 more songs to update. Should be done in a few hours. Have 30GB Video iPod. 117 videos and 988 songs. I hope this fixes my artwork. Weird that iTunes is fine but the iPod artwork messed up after I did that Genre change.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #531
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Several... IV and Houses of the Holy, of course.
Reize - you'll appreciate this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2lemon+song%22

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #532
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

I didnt want to go through the tedium of updating the genre field for all my songs, so i created an application which traverses through all of the files below a certain directory and updates the Genre tag on all of the files in its and its childrens directory.

It also allows you to provide a prefix for your Genre. I used the prefix of "_" as i wanted my "auto genres" to be displayed before the regular playists.

The tool also ignores the words "a" and "the", so the artists "The roots" and "A tribe called quest" will be categorized under the genres of "_R" and "_T", respectively.

I have 4650 songs, and it took the tool about 4 minutes to update all of my files. I have mp3 files, so i'm not sure whether or not it works on aac or other types of files. It should work, provided that the file has an ID3 tag. If it does not, you can use a tool such as winamp or Itunes to associate an ID3 tag to the files.

The process that i used to update my files are:
copied all files from my Ipod to my hd using winamp. (i created a backup of the files)
updated the files using the tool
deleted files from ipod using winamp
copied files back to Ipod

If others think this tool may be of use, i have no problem sharing it.
Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #533
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
I didnt want to go through the tedium of updating the genre field for all my songs, so i created an application which traverses through all of the files below a certain directory and updates the Genre tag on all of the files in its and its childrens directory.

It also allows you to provide a prefix for your Genre. I used the prefix of "_" as i wanted my "auto genres" to be displayed before the regular playists.

The tool also ignores the words "a" and "the", so the artists "The roots" and "A tribe called quest" will be categorized under the genres of "_R" and "_T", respectively.

I have 4650 songs, and it took the tool about 4 minutes to update all of my files. I have mp3 files, so i'm not sure whether or not it works on aac or other types of files. It should work, provided that the file has an ID3 tag. If it does not, you can use a tool such as winamp or Itunes to associate an ID3 tag to the files.

The process that i used to update my files are:
copied all files from my Ipod to my hd using winamp. (i created a backup of the files)
updated the files using the tool
deleted files from ipod using winamp
copied files back to Ipod

If others think this tool may be of use, i have no problem sharing it.
Let me know.
Damned over-achiever! I like your style kid...

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #534
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quick question for the 6fl users. If im listening to my ipod using 6fl and i park and turn off my car, is the ipod draining the cars battery? Im scared to leave the ipod plugged in overnight or something and wake up to a dead battery.

I remember reading about this question in the thread, but can't seem to find it in these 25 pages of wisdom.

Thanks in advance for the help
      06-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #535
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Quick question for the 6fl users. If im listening to my ipod using 6fl and i park and turn off my car, is the ipod draining the cars battery? Im scared to leave the ipod plugged in overnight or something and wake up to a dead battery.

I remember reading about this question in the thread, but can't seem to find it in these 25 pages of wisdom.

Thanks in advance for the help
Nope, you're safe to leave it connected. I do all the time unless I'm updating it. When the car goes into sleep mode it will power off.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #536
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I left it plugged in continuously for 3 weeks and 6000 miles and since then for 2 weeks at home with the car not driven every day and have had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #537
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the quick responses guys, you guys are awesome
      06-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #538
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Glad to help!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #539
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Here is my final update on this Genre...iPod finally finished and all is well. Everythings back to normal, all my artwork is correct. So formatting it and re-loading my iTunes library corrected whatever prob I had before. Best of all, now my Genre field is usable with this new way Reize mentioned.

Now I'm good to go, all I need is my 335 to get here with 6FL. Thanks Reize for this shortcut to get to your artists quickly, I'm sure I will be using this feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #540
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is my final update on this Genre...iPod finally finished and all is well. Everythings back to normal, all my artwork is correct. So formatting it and re-loading my iTunes library corrected whatever prob I had before. Best of all, now my Genre field is usable with this new way Reize mentioned.

Now I'm good to go, all I need is my 335 to get here with 6FL. Thanks Reize for this shortcut to get to your artists quickly, I'm sure I will be using this feature.

Very cool! Looks like this might become a SOP.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #541
Reize
Rep
Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic

Quote:

That's good to know it worked for you (and you managed to fix your artwork!) and if Lyndon_H's app offers a nice quick way of doing the updates to the genres for you, it'll be a great solution for anyone.

THEN it'll just need that little feature of being able to loop from A up to Z and it'll be a killer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 03:09 AM   #542
Reize
Rep
Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
That's one beautiful car... with a killer tracklist!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 05:35 AM   #543
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's one beautiful car... with a killer tracklist!
Thanks. I thought that track was appropriate.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #544
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

Please Help

I am having trouble with my ipod. When I plug it in the system recognizes the ipod but when I click on the name of the ipod the only option I can access is "directory." All the other options: "songs" "genre" "title" etc. all all greyed out.

Please help!

ps. also, how do you properly disconnect it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #545
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Dinan335i - Need a little more information. Are you using the "Y" cable for the iPod, or just a USB connection? If the latter, is your iPod formatted with the Windows FAT format?

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #546
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Damned over-achiever! I like your style kid...
I'm trying to catch up to you Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #547
335C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

CD Changer question

This may belong in another thread, but hopefully this may help someone else as well.

I ordered the 6FL in an E92. From reading earlier posts in this thread, it appears you can still hook up a 6 disk CD Changer to the system.

Can anyone confirm hooking up a CD changer with 6FL and not having any issues?

Can I purchase an Alpine or similar CD changer and hook it myself. This avoids me having to work through the dealer.

Is installation of the CD changer still in the trunk?

Thanks in advance for any help. CD changer and Ipod may seem overkill, but the convenience seems worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #548
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
335C - Welcome aboard!

I can't verify it for having done it, but yes you can have the 6 CD Changer with 6FL. Why, is another question.

Don't know about the 3rd party brands, perhaps you should post that as a stand-alone question or try a search. I haven't seen that discussed.

The changer is still in the trunk.

Even before 6FL, in my '06 with just the AUX jack I never saw a reason for the CD changer. I have so much music in the iPod, why would I ever need it? Still, no harm having too much stuff!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #549
335C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Thanks LEDZEP! That was quick.

I will make a quick standalone post on the topic. I am counting down the days for my car!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #550
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335C View Post
This may belong in another thread, but hopefully this may help someone else as well.

I ordered the 6FL in an E92. From reading earlier posts in this thread, it appears you can still hook up a 6 disk CD Changer to the system.

Can anyone confirm hooking up a CD changer with 6FL and not having any issues?

Can I purchase an Alpine or similar CD changer and hook it myself. This avoids me having to work through the dealer.

Is installation of the CD changer still in the trunk?

Thanks in advance for any help. CD changer and Ipod may seem overkill, but the convenience seems worth it to me.

335C, This is what I know. My dealer manager told me about the CD changer, he actually talked me out of getting the CD Changer although he said I could get it with no problem. He said it is a dealer installed option that they really don't do many anymore, 1 because there is already a single slot upfront and 2 most are getting the iPod adapter which works as a changer. Also stated that the changer is in the trunk but the worst part was when he told me they have to put your car down and re-program the iDrive and then wait for it to come back up all so that it will registar the CD after it's installed. Not sure if this is the same for non-iDrive cars. But seems like a hassle and the changer cost twice as much as the iPod adapter. For iDrive cars it's not as easy as just installing it your self in the trunk, it requires dealer work on the car puter system to recognize the install.
Appreciate 0