E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Conti TS830p winter tyres - unstoppable!

12-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W12 View Post
12-14' of snow on it!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Only car to drive on my street today with 12-14' of snow on it!!!
How you doing for actual ground clearance then and is the slush/snow clogging everything up? Got any pics of you driving in the deep snow?

We've around 10" now and my other halfs Series Landy is ploughing through everything as are the other proper 4x4's I've seen. Anyone who can't get about in a Land Rover or Range Rover doesn't know how to drive simple as that. There are deep frozen ruts up the hill and all along our street and the next street which goes down hill. Unless you've got the ground clearance - forget it, you 'aint getting through because ANY ordinary road car will not get out of the ruts.

In Lincolnshire, where it is VERY bad there's a guy helping hosptial staff get about by ferrying them all in his Frontera......that did surprise me tbh. Rather decent of him though imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #25
garysargent
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
the symbol on diagram on the card should show a windscreen wash symbol on to a lights to indicate the headlight wash.....

Stupid question your car does have xenons doesn't it?
Yeah it has xenons.

I can see the symbol but it says fuse 48, which is the same fuse as the symbol for the normal windscreen wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
How you doing for actual ground clearance then and is the slush/snow clogging everything up? Got any pics of you driving in the deep snow?

We've around 10" now and my other halfs Series Landy is ploughing through everything as are the other proper 4x4's I've seen. Anyone who can't get about in a Land Rover or Range Rover doesn't know how to drive simple as that. There are deep frozen ruts up the hill and all along our street and the next street which goes down hill. Unless you've got the ground clearance - forget it, you 'aint getting through because ANY ordinary road car will not get out of the ruts.

In Lincolnshire, where it is VERY bad there's a guy helping hosptial staff get about by ferrying them all in his Frontera......that did surprise me tbh. Rather decent of him though imo.
It is a bit of a snow plough as car is fairly low!!!

but needs must and all that - no pics perhaps I should take some
E92 335d Coupe, Bluefin remap, 333BHP, Winter Conti TS830p on 18 MV3's, 19' summer wheels, BMW gloss black Performance grills, DAB, Pro nav, bluetooth, black Dakota Leather- heated, High beam assist, BMW HIFI, elec seats and mirrors, auto with paddle shift, climate windscreen, voice control, uni remote,PDC, extended storage pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #27
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysargent View Post
Yeah it has xenons.

I can see the symbol but it says fuse 48, which is the same fuse as the symbol for the normal windscreen wash.
take a pic of your fusebox and paper fuse card and post them on here
E92 335d Coupe, Bluefin remap, 333BHP, Winter Conti TS830p on 18 MV3's, 19' summer wheels, BMW gloss black Performance grills, DAB, Pro nav, bluetooth, black Dakota Leather- heated, High beam assist, BMW HIFI, elec seats and mirrors, auto with paddle shift, climate windscreen, voice control, uni remote,PDC, extended storage pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #28
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
any pics of the motah?
      12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

Quote:
Just got the TS830 tyres today from mytyres having read top reviews in auto express about them and a personal fan of alll conti tyres as they always seem to be the best that iv tried!
can I ask you when you placed your order and how long did it take to get them? thanks, vince
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #30
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post
can I ask you when you placed your order and how long did it take to get them? thanks, vince
Think it was thurs nite and got em tues although they did try deliver mon but i was out.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
any pics of the motah?
Will take some soon geez
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #32
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
The TS810S's work very very well on the M5

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #33
Freethy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M Sport

Quote:
Yeah it has xenons.

Mine is exactly the same, i can't see any fuse 43. The card indicates that it is fuse 48 - which includes a load of other stuff too.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #34
garysargent
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Here is a pic of my fuses (2009 335i). Fuse 48 seems to control both the windscreen washer fluid AND the headlight washer fluid...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #35
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Here is a pic of my fuses (2009 335i). Fuse 48 seems to control both the windscreen washer fluid AND the headlight washer fluid...
Am stumped - they have obviously changed the FB on your 2009 model, as on my 56 model it is fuse 43 and that alone powers the headlight washers, the windscreen washers operate on a seperate fuse.

Looking at yours now I dont think there is anything you can do short of being very careful not to activate the headlight washers e.g. not pulling on the stalk enough times to set them off!

may be worth posting in tech forum the above pics see if anyone has any idea on how to bypass it....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #36
DaveyCUFC
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Just got the TS830 tyres today from mytyres having read top reviews in auto express about them and a personal fan of alll conti tyres as they always seem to be the best that iv tried.

Had them fitted to my 18x8 replica mv3 wheels - all in about 1k it cost me- but so worth it....

My car is now unstoppable I actively search snow covered roads to test them and they just cut through anything i throw at them - amazing tyres - night and day compared to bridgestone runflats on the 19's - can take the car anywhere it even went up the snow covered hill to work which even my 4wd audi w12 only managed halfway on its summer conti S.C. 3's before spinning all 4 wheels!

Cant reccomend these enough and they are not even worn in yet!

On a side note the car is so much quieter and smoother on the 18's with non run flats alot better dont need to avoid potholes that send crashing noises through the cabin!! although they dont look as mean as the 19's.

On another side note I removed fuse no. 43 today to stop the headlight washers popping up as nearly lost one of the painted covers yesterday when they popped up in the frost!
Hi- Do you mind me asking what size Conti's you have on those alloys? Am looking to do the same myself and have ordered those exact Alloys.

Reference the fuse question I have an E90 56 reg and the same fuse layout, looks like this must have changed in newer models though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #37
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

I agree with 'W12' post above, Conti TS830P tyres are excellent. They have given me complete confidence over the last three days in all snow conditions and up-hill is no problem whatsoever. I am amazed, there is so little wheelspin when moving off. In fact, almost none at all!
The limiting factor as 'Beemerbird' suggests, is ground clearance. It is my only one thought when driving about, not the road surface, but the deepness of the wheel ruts. Powder snow OK, but not when there are chucks of ice mixed with it. Hoping the underside of the front spoiler is OK, but am expecting some marking, but at least I'm getting about with confidence and thats really something!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

I've been driving around for a day now in the North East on my new rubber and I can agree, they totally transform the car. Its changed it from an experience of dread and worry into the ability to be able to go out in the car in bad conditions without any concerns. I've changed from 18 inch rims to 16's and it's a revelation in terms of reduced road noise improved comfort better MPG and great grip in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #39
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCUFC View Post
Hi- Do you mind me asking what size Conti's you have on those alloys? Am looking to do the same myself and have ordered those exact Alloys.

Reference the fuse question I have an E90 56 reg and the same fuse layout, looks like this must have changed in newer models though.
225-40-18
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #40
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Unless you've got the ground clearance - forget it, you 'aint getting through because ANY ordinary road car will not get out of the ruts.
Good point this.

The narrow village road outside my house has 9-10 inch deep frozen ruts in it now as it was -8c last night.

I have to turn 90 degrees right out of the drive to get going but cant actually drive across them in the BMW (lowered) to get to the opposite side of the road! Its like a mogul field out there.

Will have to take the Espace tomorrow.

Interstingly, the Espace has Falken ZEX 912 tyres on the front which although summer tyres, kind of have 'wintery' tyre pattern to them. The front end grip is excellent I have to say, even on compacted snow/ice.

Yves
Attached Images

Last edited by YvesD; 12-05-2010 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0