E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > NYC - Xdrive or not?

12-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
It really depends on when you'll be using the car.

Personally, I chose the AWD since I need to use the car constantly. I live in a very hilly area in NJ where the snow cleaning is pretty bad. I need the AWD to get me up inclines. Plus, I do go on snow boarding trips as well (PA, VT).

However, if I were only to use the car for city travel (and can take off of work a few times a year), I'd go with the RWD.

I enjoy my xi very much, but a few things DO bug me about it (extra weight, less modding options, drivetrain loss, etc.). At times I wish I had gone with RWD.

Then again, traction is never an issue (1.7 seconds 60' time on street tires without trying). Definitely can't beat that.

There are so many advantages/disadvantages on both cars. Good luck!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
rwd + snows are plenty fine, but it's obviously a hassle to have to swap each season.
      12-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #25
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
If there is ever a day when you have to get to NYC and it is snowing out, you will be happy to have AWD.
RWD handles well enough in the snow, remember RWD or not you still have only 4 wheels to stop the car and navigate around other cars

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
RWD handles well enough in the snow, remember RWD or not you still have only 4 wheels to stop the car and navigate around other cars
But unlike RWD, your front tires are also pulling the car on the xi. So say u have to make a quick turn to avoid an accident etc, with the wheels turned and pulling, it will help your car steer clear of danger. In RWD if u turn to avoid something, your front tires are dead in the snow and cannot pull your car away to help avoid obstacles. Your front wheels will also engine break on the xi, which helps you slow down better on wet/snowy conditions without applying the brakes. So even tho u only have 4 wheels, xi has better traction/handling regardless.

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
But unlike RWD, your front tires are also pulling the car on the xi. So say u have to make a quick turn to avoid an accident etc, with the wheels turned and pulling, it will help your car steer clear of danger. In RWD if u turn to avoid something, your front tires are dead in the snow and cannot pull your car away to help avoid obstacles. Your front wheels will also engine break on the xi, which helps you slow down better on wet/snowy conditions without applying the brakes. So even tho u only have 4 wheels, xi has better traction/handling regardless.
just to let you know, the car is not full all time AWD. Usually the split is 20/80 towards the rear, at sometimes its almost all RWD cruising on the highway. It only splits to the front if it sees that the car is slipping or has traction problems in the rear.

Snow tires on an xi ftw. You will never have a problem LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
just to let you know, the car is not full all time AWD. Usually the split is 20/80 towards the rear, at sometimes its almost all RWD cruising on the highway. It only splits to the front if it sees that the car is slipping or has traction problems in the rear.

well said, that reason alone makes me "steer" towards the XI
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks everybody for the input, i pretty much got the winter driving conditions part of it figured out, but in terms of performance (tune) how many of you feel that the traction control is restrictive in terms of applying the power? I feel when you keep it on, it always kills the power and when you have it off, there is excessive wheel spin because of the abundance of tourque. This comes into play more so than the winter stuff in making my decision. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #30
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lets put it this way, yes there are advantages of an X-drive but they kick in only few days a year in NYC! Just think about it. Unless you live in rural snow area the roads are mostly dry in winters.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
Lets put it this way, yes there are advantages of an X-drive but they kick in only few days a year in NYC! Just think about it. Unless you live in rural snow area the roads are mostly dry in winters.
well no, i have a rear wheel drive now and am not biased with any of the 2 set ups but i think we can all agree there are more advantages to having an XI than driving through snow. as for the snow, last winter was bad here in NYC, we had 3-4 really bad snow blizzards and i couldnt use my car at all. as for perfomance, you get more grip.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #32
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

i just hate that artificial "pull" feeling when you are accelerating. I feel that everytime i get into an XI loaner, but i never drove a 335i xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #33
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
The answer truly lies with "it depends".

Do you have a job where you must be at work, no questions asked, on time, in any weather? If you do, like I do, the xi is the only answer. You cannot traverse inches of snow in a RWD car. Even with snows. Don't believe me, watch the top gear special on is RWD better than FWD - it's hysterical, but proves a point.

If your job provides flexibility, then the RWD with winter tires should be enough for most conditions.

Having lived in the NYC suburbs for over 20 years, NYC for 3, in upstate new york, and in new england (and continue to commute to NYC from new england) - the bottom line is whether you can afford to not make it to work, or be late. If you can't - xi with snow tires 100%.

In all honesty though, how many days a year do you truly need the xi performance - not too many. But some of us don't have that flexibility, even if needed just 1 day a year.

On the other end, although many will argue that the suspension on the xi is garbage, the XI performs equally to the i in most instances, and the AT XI will get you to 60 faster in a straight line than any of the others (per BMW's documentation). If you're looking to tune and take this to the track, then RWD is your answer. If it's just your daily driver, you really won't notice much difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #34
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

It takes experience when dealing with rwd vehicles in inclement weather. I've alway had rwd platforms and the snow has never been a problem. The worst car is my mustang with the 60/40 weight distribution. Whenever I was out in that car I always had weight in the back along with a shovel With the beemer it's soooo easy & that's with all seasons. i can't even imagine how the car is with a winter setup.
      12-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #35
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Think of how much it actually snows during the year, it really isn't that often IMO. With winter tires, you you will have no trouble getting around. I was able to get through my driveway of 6+ inches of unplowed snow no problem with my old 328i. What would ultimately cause these cars to get stuck is ground clearance, and there is barely any difference betwen xi and i.

Over the course of a year, xi may be useful during about 3 months at most. In NY and NJ roads are snow covered for usually a day or two at most during a snow storm so how often might you see the benefit of xdrive versus the disadvantages you'll see all year(extra weight, slightly worse handling, higher ride height)?
      12-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #36
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Over the course of a year, xi may be useful during about 3 months at most. In NY and NJ roads are snow covered for usually a day or two at most during a snow storm so how often might you see the benefit of xdrive versus the disadvantages you'll see all year(extra weight, slightly worse handling, higher ride height)?

Exactly my point, also xi or not, driving in snow is still dangerous not only because of your car but other idiots so it is better to avoid these 1-2 days.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #37
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Think of how much it actually snows during the year, it really isn't that often IMO. With winter tires, you you will have no trouble getting around. I was able to get through my driveway of 6+ inches of unplowed snow no problem with my old 328i. What would ultimately cause these cars to get stuck is ground clearance, and there is barely any difference betwen xi and i.

Well said. It does depend on how you guage the advantages/disadvantages. i look at it in terms of performance in the summer (grip). At this point i agree with everyone about the severity of the snow around here. My concern is geared more towards applying power to the ground and i think we can both agree an xi does it better. i just hate that artificial steering feel ...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #38
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post

I don't think this is entirely correct about xdrive. My wife has an awd infiniti and your comments are based more on the infiniti system. The g will be 50/50 split up to 18mph then go to complete 0/100 split at highway speed till slip is noticed. I think xdrive is 40/60 split constant unless slip is detected then it can go 20/80 either way at max to any of the axles.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:18 AM   #39
Wills 335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue

Xi for daily..everyday use..RWD for more of a garage and nice temperature car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #40
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I'm pretty sure that after we have been getting pounded with these snowfalls over the past 2 years that the opinions on x-drive vs. rear-wheel are starting to change...

I was about to switch my next 3-er order over to a rear-wheel drive model but after some middle of blizzard experience with my x-drive I will be sticking with the x-drive...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #41
DaveD08
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Ive had Audis for the past few winters and never had a problem with Quattro and all seasons. This year I have my lowered RWD 335 with blizzaks and this snow storm was not a problem, in fact yesterday I was driving around for fun and was helping people get their cars out No need for xi if you just get a decent set of winter tires:

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD05 View Post
Ive had Audis for the past few winters and never had a problem with Quattro and all seasons. This year I have my lowered RWD 335 with blizzaks and this snow storm was not a problem, in fact yesterday I was driving around for fun and was helping people get their cars out No need for xi if you just get a decent set of winter tires:
It depends where and when you were driving.
The roads you posted are plowed. I saw toyota corollas with all-seasons going down such streets yesterday and today.
However, when the storm hit and the roads were not plowed, it was a different story.

I had to drive from NJ to Astoria and Brooklyn, then back to NJ through Manhattan at 10pm. Major avenues in Manhattan were not plowed and there were SUV's (Suburban's, Trail Blazers, CR-V's) stuck everywhere.

Most people were stuck behind cars that didn't have proper tires or AWD and were stuck in the middle of the road. No one could pass them because they were scared they would get stuck on the sides while passing. The only cars you would see getting around were the ones with AWD and snow tires or chains (I actually saw 2 cars with chains on their tires).... all the others had to look for alternative routes, which meant having to back up down the whole block and go down a different one. lol
      12-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #43
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I drove from Philly to Nyack NY in the peak snow storm, 6-10pm
Most of my 120mile journey was unplowed roads
Most of the time i had to go around slower cars (they were all slower anyways) on sides of the road to pass
RWD + LSD + Blizzaks = kick ass winter performance
Since i got it so easy under control in this blizzard, it tells me that RWD is good enough!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD05 View Post
...No need for xi if you just get a decent set of winter tires...
Agreed. Here's a recent photo of my 335i in NW Connecticut. I get around just fine with my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires and rear wheel drive.
Attached Images