E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > which IC

12-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #67
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
I agree with you here, the back section is to retard heat soak. I am simply saying that I dont think the whole face is being utilized, this would be only measurable with an infrared sensor and/or wind tunnel. I am going outside to look now.
As I said in a prior post my design engineer partner works in the air cooling industry so we have access to a FlIR camera(forward looking infrared) that will show how the intercoolers work under load! This camera shows basically what the predator sees in the predator movies and gives accurate temperatures anywhere in the screen. And again the face is exposed, i designed the intercooler and have said it and an end user has said it as well in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #68
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
The helix is not fully exposed... At all.
You guys seriously crack me up, an end user has posted in this thread that it is exposed, and there is a pic I took on my car from ground level that shows this through the bumper opening I just need to find it OR if a helix customer can take a front on pic from ground level!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #69
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
The frontal face and the 1st 1/3 of the core thickness, is the part of the intercooler that does most of the cooling in the core! As I have said the upper section on the helix is exposed(go outside and see if 2.5 more inches is exposed above your HPF) the helix face is 56% larger than stock or stock height replacements!
I just went out there, it was blowing 20mph+ with 6 inches of snow so my measurements are not exact by any means but I came up 1.75 inches of space left. And thats being generous. I dont know if I could even fit the Helix fmic in my car bc I have the stainless steel oil cooler lines right above my hpf fmic. I would say to get an accurate measurement you need to take off the front spoiler and measure from the inside bc thats the only TRUE measurement of the area that is exposed to direct/forced air.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #70
whn
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

HPF
Mods: Stage 3+, FULLY LOADED
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #71
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The helix is not fully exposed... At all.
You guys seriously crack me up, an end user has posted in this thread that it is exposed, and there is a pic I took on my car from ground level that shows this through the bumper opening I just need to find it OR if a helix customer can take a front on pic from ground level!
Maybe with an aftermarket bumper. The stock non m sport bumper doesn't have the height to expose that whole fmic, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #72
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As I said in a prior post my design engineer partner works in the air cooling industry so we have access to a FlIR camera(forward looking infrared) that will show how the intercoolers work under load! This camera shows basically what the predator sees in the predator movies and gives accurate temperatures anywhere in the screen. And again the face is exposed, i designed the intercooler and have said it and an end user has said it as well in this thread!
Ok if you want to play the picture game, lets do this. Count the number of fins on your IC and then count the ones that are exposed in your installed pic. If you can show me that they equal the same amount, I will shut up.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #73
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The upper section of the helix is fully exposed in the bumper opening as it comes to right under the metal bumper!

Here is an n54 with front end on!

Here is our fmic on an n55 with the front clip off, the fmic stops right under the metal bumper on n54 and n55!
I count 14 black lines/fins on your IC out of the car. I count 9 or 10 on the installed car. BTW in the lower pic, how can you say the whole front face is exposed when the lower part is below the shroud? The lower bumper/spoiler lip is atleast an inch think, thats an additional inch that not DIRECTLY exposed. I understand how physics work, an infared could pick up lower temps on the non-exposed parts bc the cooling spreads throughout the entire IC after some time. I bet you that the exposed parts and the non-exposed parts will have diff temps. Even if it is small, they will be diff.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #74
skyintothesea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 coupe 335i DCT

well thanks info
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #75
Major
Rep

Quote:
I count 14 black lines/fins on your IC out of the car. I count 9 or 10 on the installed car. BTW in the lower pic, how can you say the whole front face is exposed when the lower part is below the shroud? The lower bumper/spoiler lip is atleast an inch think, thats an additional inch that not DIRECTLY exposed. I understand how physics work, an infared could pick up lower temps on the non-exposed parts bc the cooling spreads throughout the entire IC after some time. I bet you that the exposed parts and the non-exposed parts will have diff temps. Even if it is small, they will be diff.
You do realize we maintain stock geometry below the bottom shroud and many of the other fmics including spearco, ams and possibly HPF increase the size below the shroud leaving even less of the core exposed! On these intercoolers a full 1/3 of their heights are not exposed under the shroud! When u come up to do back to back testing I can show you all of these things first hand!
Look at the mounting bracket in this photo that backs up what I am saying look how much higher they are on the ams leaving more of the core unexposed under the lower shroud!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 12-27-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #76
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You do realize we maintain stock geometry below the bottom shroud and many of the other fmics including spearco, ams and possibly HPF increase the size below the shroud leaving even less of the core exposed! On these intercoolers a full 1/3 of their heights are not exposed under the shroud! When u come up to do back to back testing I can show you all of these things first hand!
As i said b4, I cant wait. HPF does not sit below that. Its about as factory as anyone makes. I do agree with you that a little is tucked under the lip. Im just saying that I think the Helix would produce better figures if the frontal plate werent so big. I guess only time will tell. I am a numbers junky so believe me, I am loyal to NO ONE. I am loyal to the BEST product. I will be the first to switch if the numbers are swaying toward Helix.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #77
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I want to see hard facts with logs. So we need to get dynos and logs done. Also first you said it was all exposed now you say it's not, I don't really care, I'm not trying to argue with you. I am just saying it is not completely exposed.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #78
Major
Rep

Quote:
As i said b4, I cant wait. HPF does not sit below that. Its about as factory as anyone makes. I do agree with you that a little is tucked under the lip. Im just saying that I think the Helix would produce better figures if the frontal plate werent so big. I guess only time will tell. I am a numbers junky so believe me, I am loyal to NO ONE. I am loyal to the BEST product. I will be the first to switch if the numbers are swaying toward Helix.
I know you are man, I just don't understand how HPF has "brainwashed" people into believing that a shorter thicker intercooler with less exposed face is superior to one that is not
This seriously goes against correct intercooling engineering knowledge. If you don't believe me read the multitude of information available online and in books such as maximum boost. An intercooler is a heatsink and it's cooling medium is the ambient air and the surface area that is exposed to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #79
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I want to see hard facts with logs. So we need to get dynos and logs done. Also first you said it was all exposed now you say it's not, I don't really care, I'm not trying to argue with you. I am just saying it is not completely exposed.
oh but i do like to argue, thanks for pointing out that he initially said it was fully exposed then it wasnt. Thats besides the point, its like you said, about the hard facts. Atleast we will have some facts soon on dynos. I will be going next sat. to do 3 pulls with my mods, no meth, atleast one pull with race fuel. Stay posted for numbers...There will be 20+ guys going, im sure one of them will have Helix fmic, I would like to see how they compare. It will be in DC if anyone else wants to come that isnt too far. Again, Jan. 8th.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Penn has agreed to back to back testing once temps get back to warm here! And we will do comparison logs and he can control the laptop so no one can cry foul! What I said is that the core above the lower shroud is exposed to frontal air! I did post a pic taken from ground level that shows this on my car but I can't find it! On your own car you can go see for yourself the helix height stops about 1/4" below the air condition condenser(thin radiator behind the bumper)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #81
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt, 94 probe gt

Quote:
Maybe with an aftermarket bumper. The stock non m sport bumper doesn't have the height to expose that whole fmic, end of story.
Here's your end of story (stock bumper):
Attached Images

12-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #82
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know you are man, I just don't understand how HPF has "brainwashed" people into believing that a shorter thicker intercooler with less exposed face is superior to one that is not
This seriously goes against correct intercooling engineering knowledge. If you don't believe me read the multitude of information available online and in books such as maximum boost. An intercooler is a heatsink and it's cooling medium is the ambient air and the surface area that is exposed to it.
I trust HPF bc 1) past success with the s54, 2) they sacrifice nothing in terms of power(including cost) 3) their design looks better to me. Im not saying Helix is bad at all, as I said its my #2 pick. Maybe this will change when it comes testing time, either way I will have the best IC on the market with the facts to back it up, I love it. I just think there is UNDERUTILIZED space in there with the Helix, maybe my tuning theory is wrong, its just about who I trust based on the facts I was given thus far..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #83
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
Thanks for posting the pics
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #84
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dude, seriously...do you think Im dumb?? Those pics are from BOGUS angles. It needs to be a straight on shot. I can get in there and show you that the shitty AA, big tom, Stett, and cxracing fmic(which its not) is FULLY exposed to ambient airflow if I take BOGUS camera angles like that. Come on...that did not help prove your point at all.

AGAIN, I COUNT 10 exposed black lines/fins. THATS NOT 14! The first pic shows 10.5 fins showing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #85
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
Quote:
We don't want angled pictures!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #86
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Quote:
oh but i do like to argue, thanks for pointing out that he initially said it was fully exposed then it wasnt. Thats besides the point, its like you said, about the hard facts. Atleast we will have some facts soon on dynos. I will be going next sat. to do 3 pulls with my mods, no meth, atleast one pull with race fuel. Stay posted for numbers...There will be 20 guys going, im sure one of them will have Helix fmic, I would like to see how they compare. It will be in DC if anyone else wants to come that isnt too far. Again, Jan. 8th.
Make sure you get one with 93 octane. And a good baseline so no one bitches.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #87
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We don't want angled pictures!
Im starting to gain more and more respect from you my man. Good brains think alike
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #88
Major
Rep

Quote:
I trust HPF bc 1) past success with the s54, 2) they sacrifice nothing in terms of power(including cost) 3) their design looks better to me. Im not saying Helix is bad at all, as I said its my #2 pick. Maybe this will change when it comes testing time, either way I will have the best IC on the market with the facts to back it up, I love it. I just think there is UNDERUTILIZED space in there with the Helix, maybe my tuning theory is wrong, its just about who I trust based on the facts I was given thus far..
Please do some reading on intercooler engineering and design, start with maximum boost it's a pretty easy read for the laymen, 21st century performance is also a good read! The helix actually utilizes every square inch available for the ambient face! I am confident in the Helix outperforming the HPF or any stock height replacement Intercooler as physics are on our side, once you read the aforementioned books you will understand what I mean by that! Cheers it's time to dig myself out of 2' of snow
Appreciate 0