E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > engine bay

01-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 320i 2010 European

Question engine bay

hello guys

well the problem began after i replaced my eccentric shaft sensor and servomotor beneath the valve cover, also replaced the gasket.

The next morning I turned on the ignition and while waiting a little bit for engine to heat up I realised that there is a light white smoke or vapor, when checked the engine bay realized that it is coming from beneath the pollen filter panel the strange thing is that it stops after 2 minutes.

I also realized after a week that my oil level has dropped.

what do you think guys ??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
Yugoslavia
Rep
Drives: e92

White smoke usually means coolant is burning so or if you have a tint of blue then your burning oil . You def have a leak, try running some compression tests or a leak test.
      01-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAwesome View Post
White smoke usually means coolant is burning so or if you have a tint of blue then your burning oil . You def have a leak, try running some compression tests or a leak test.
I checked the coolant bottle it is clean no oil mix i checked for the exhaust there is no smoke at all. I couldn't find any sign of blown gasket
btw thanks for the advice i will do compression test as soon as possible because that thing is really confusing me
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
Yugoslavia
Rep

If you pull your dipstick our and check to see if you see any signs of coolant mix or if your oil looks like choclate milk.

What you might also want to do is try washing your engine bay to get rid of any grease or oils that might of spilled anywhere or came into contact with your block/head anywhere since you did some recent work to it.
      01-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAwesome View Post
If you pull your dipstick our and check to see if you see any signs of coolant mix or if your oil looks like choclate milk.

What you might also want to do is try washing your engine bay to get rid of any grease or oils that might of spilled anywhere or came into contact with your block/head anywhere since you did some recent work to it.
It seems I have oil leaks from multiple places one of them from beneath the oil filter box and now i can see that i have oil leak near the exhaust manifold on the metal plate which is where the manifold connects to the engine
so ouchhhhh too much work should be done starting by washing the engine bay to compression test till leak fix .
but what if the compression test results where unsatisfying then it will really hurt
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
Yugoslavia
Rep

Then its a good way of justifying a fully built NA motor :P haha.. Take your time with it and go step by step to find your culprit .
      01-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I think the source of the smoke is from the vacuum pump as it is coming from the back of the engine and also oil collecting on the heat shield above the exhaust
do you know if this is one of the vacuum pump symptoms ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
I think the source of the smoke is from the vacuum pump as it is coming from the back of the engine and also oil collecting on the heat shield above the exhaust
do you know if this is one of the vacuum pump symptoms ?
It took me too long to figure until i had my o2 sensors replaced it turned out to be that they are loose and not well torqued.
Appreciate 0