E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30F2 Ignition Glow Code with Cobb

04-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #23
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Hey Everyone,

I have been talking back and forth with Alan a bit. Still trying to get a feel for what's going on. After looking at the data here, I'm guessing the DTC is not due to detonation around the stumble given it would say it hit at 4k RPMs. Alan, I think you are safe there. If the boost gets a little too out of range the ECU will be more aggressive with the throttle closures to the point you can feel a stumble. If you don't mind, go back to the 93 octane maps and get a log or two of the events for me. Lance and I will take a look.

When it come to the hot air intakes, personally, I'm never a fan. Hot air entering the motor can lower the detonation threshold on top of lower air density.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Rob,

Is there something that occurs at around 4k rpm? I remember reading about something occurring at that point even on stock cars. When the code was triggered I definitely felt the car stutter and cut power for a second and then pull again. I don't mind running the 93 map again but I also want to find out why I got this glow code. I don't want to risk damaging my motor while doing more testing.

Is it common in your opinion to see throttle closures during WOT? All of my logs show closures before 4300rpm and none after that. I remember you saying that the Cobb shop car logs looked similar to mine. How would you explain why some cars don't have any TC?

Alan
      04-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #25
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
From my experience the Cobb unit can not read everything that the BT tool can. The first thing i did after noticing the stutter was plug in my AP and check for codes. Nothing came up except for the "code missing" one. When i plugged in my BT Tool the ignition glow code came up under the shadow code section.

As for reverting back to stock to clear all codes i'm not sure. Someone with existing codes would have to try this or let Cobb chime in.

Alan
This is a major concern that should not be taken so lightly.

There is a big concern of warranty issues and if people are going to be using Cobb, they are expecting no codes when bringing their car into dealerships. The comments above would show a false security with typical Cobb users that could put them in a sticky situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #26
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post

There is a big concern of warranty issues and if people are going to be using Cobb, they are expecting no codes when bringing their car into dealerships. The comments above would show a false security with typical Cobb users that could put them in a sticky situation.
I agree. I was under the impression that the Cobb would handle full code scanning/clearing and data logging at a higher rate then the BT. The only reason to get a BT was for the misc functions like service interval resets. Looks like I should add a BT cable back into my planned mod list. At least for the added peace of mind.

Last edited by OneThreeFive; 04-04-2011 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: English Fail
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #27
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Rob,

Is there something that occurs at around 4k rpm?
The VANOS system starts the valve timing changeover at around 4200 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #28
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThreeFive View Post
I agree. I was under the impression that the Cobb would handle full code scanning/clearing and data logging at a higher rate then the BT. The only reason to get a BT was for the misc functions like service interval resets. Looks like I should add a BT cable back into my planned mod list. At least for the added peace of mind.
It's unfortunate that this point is buried in this thread because there are some misunderstandings out there regarding this that might warrant the purchase of Cobb but might end up causing some serious headaches.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

As a data point i am running the cobb s1 tune with a ets fmic for the past 1500 miles with no codes. I just checked with a bt and there was nothing. As for codes when going to the dealer i believe the AP deletes everything when uninstalled. It is recommended that the tune be uninstalled before a dealer visit as standard practice.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
As a data point i am running the cobb s1 tune with a ets fmic for the past 1500 miles with no codes. I just checked with a bt and there was nothing. As for codes when going to the dealer i believe the AP deletes everything when uninstalled. It is recommended that the tune be uninstalled before a dealer visit as standard practice.

Harry
It does not clear everything..shadow codes remain as proven and other members (I can't remember which thread to lazy to look )up have found that the Cobb does not clear up all codes...just add a BT tool to your list when you get a Cobb and your golden but do not expect to clear all codes if a one does appear
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #31
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
It does not clear everything..shadow codes remain as proven and other members (I can't remember which thread to lazy to look )up have found that the Cobb does not clear up all codes...just add a BT tool to your list when you get a Cobb and your golden but do not expect to clear all codes if a one does appear
I have a bt so i didn't think twice. It is a bit dissapointing that it does not clear everything. I have had no shadow codes so i cannot comment on that.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #32
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

@OP did you check to see if your ignition coil on cylinder 6 is going bad ? It could be out of coincidence it went bad at the same time when adding the AP...?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #33
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Rob,

Is there something that occurs at around 4k rpm? I remember reading about something occurring at that point even on stock cars.

Alan

The only thing that comes up to my mind is VANOS change-over event...
      04-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #34
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Can the Cobb be updated to read these shadow fault codes? I sold my BT tool because I thought the Cobb could read all codes...it isn't a huge concern for me since I am no longer under warranty anyway, but it sure would be nice.
      04-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
after a full uninstall and reflash back to stock, do the shadow codes remain?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #36
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Yea, there is a difference between seeing the codes and clearing the codes. Ideally, we want to the cobb to be updated to both see and clear, but it would put a lot of folks at ease if we knew they were at least clearing codes inline with the bt tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post

We don't currently read other modules or shadow codes at the moment. However we do clear all modules codes and shadow codes. In reference to taking the car to the dealer it will be a non-issue.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #38
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rob,

Is there something that occurs at around 4k rpm? I remember reading about something occurring at that point even on stock cars. When the code was triggered I definitely felt the car stutter and cut power for a second and then pull again. I don't mind running the 93 map again but I also want to find out why I got this glow code. I don't want to risk damaging my motor while doing more testing.

Is it common in your opinion to see throttle closures during WOT? All of my logs show closures before 4300rpm and none after that. I remember you saying that the Cobb shop car logs looked similar to mine. How would you explain why some cars don't have any TC?

Alan
Hi Alan,

I very highly doubt there is serious detonation happening. Looking at the logs the throttle is closing a little bit too much. It's possible your car is just on the positive side of being very responsive, maybe just a little more than our shop car. We can certainly tone down the WGDC in that area if you want to get me some good logs.

If you would like to stay on the safe side, we will be releasing much more intensive logging abilities in the next month.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
after a full uninstall and reflash back to stock, do the shadow codes remain?
They do not.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #40
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
awesome news all around there rob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #41
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
They do not.

Cheers,
Rob
thats what I thought - thus no need for the hysteria with the posts above worrying about shadow codes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #42
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Will the Cobb AP eventually read shadow codes like the glow ignition codes?
      04-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #43
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysandro View Post
Will the Cobb AP eventually read shadow codes like the glow ignition codes?
I could certainly add it now, however any active codes to be concerned with will show up under the standard BMW code read.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #44
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
We can certainly tone down the WGDC in that area if you want to get me some good logs.
I hope you're talking as an optional map because my WGDC runs higher than Alan's and I don't see any TC. I'm speculating that Alan's wastegate(s) are just a lot stiffer than the norm so there's a bit of overboosting until the ecu can do its thing.
Appreciate 0