E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Ways to make it a little bit louder?

09-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #89
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Yeah the pbx should fix it! So you really cAn feel the gain in the high rpms? I might get the 2.5' piping in replace of the cat then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
It's this piece of shit iPhone app. I just notices my last quote didn't go thru. Just wanted to say how mean your new setup is. Did you notice any gains with the different diameter piping? And how much everything with the new pipe?
actually it feels a little bit laggy at first but my higher rpm's really pull hard AND LOUD... i think a good throttle remap will fix the lag though (gettin a BMS PBX this weekend, hopefully a cat delete that same day?) we'll see...
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #90
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
Wow mine messed up too haha. I was asking same thing, was wondering if you felt a difference since your piping.

Sounds and looks sick!
Thanks! ^__^ i'm pretty happy with the job, i must say!

Good thing i took pics of the undercarriage though, cuz i might have a shop in seattle that will take my second cats off...

I'm thinking though, if i go through with these headers (which the primary cats will be gone) i'll have NO CATS... which i think will be TOO loud... might get the secondaries put back on perhaps...

I just went back and picked up my muffler from the shop... oh my gawd... that thing is like 60 maybe 70lbs... i definitely did a minor weight reduction that's for sure ^_^
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #91
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

lol it'll be pretty loud without the secondaries. I've heard a muff/res delete before and it's a little loud for my taste but yea sounds good
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #92
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Lync- yeah that muffler weighs a ton!!!

And so do you think your res/muff delete is loud enough or you want louder(aka secondaries deleted)?

I thought the res delete was only a minor sound gain that's why I'm asking haha.
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #93
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:
actually it feels a little bit laggy at first but my higher rpm's really pull hard AND LOUD... i think a good throttle remap will fix the lag though (gettin a BMS PBX this weekend, hopefully a cat delete that same day?) we'll see...
I bet that thing screams up around 6k, i think paired with gavins header and a tune that thing should scoot pretty good, it will certainly be loud as shit ESP if you delete the 2nd cats, now that i think about it with the header and and 2nd cat delete on your setup it will be just a straight pipe setup. Might be to loud for my taste, but badass for a track setup...I wonder what a 2nd cat delete with res delete paired with stock muffler would sounds like...hmmmm....cause i want a little louder but nothing thats going to make people stare as i pass them and still want a little more pep. lol

Last edited by benzo23; 09-28-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #94
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

On cold start, it sounds pretty good at high rpm, but once the engine warms up, i get more sound from the engine itself at about 4500rpm

I got more updates though:

1. I think i'm getting more MPG out of this setup... i reset it this morning and i averaged out 26mpg (in city) to work (i don't do highway driving to/from work). Not only that, but before the mod if i just let off the accelerator, the MPG gage would sit right be low 'maximum'... but with this setup, it lets the gage go all the way as if it were in neutral/idle... pretty cool stuff! -my guess is the lack of backpressure helps GREATLY! (that's +4 mpg city in my case)
2. I'm starting to get a little more 'scoot' out of it now though, i think it's the ECU having to adapt to the difference (happened when i put the stage 2 intake too). So i think in about a week, i'll have all there is to get out of this setup... i'll take note when i can.

I think i've settled on a place to get my sec. cats taken off though... it'll cost me $300 to do it but whatever (i paid $336.57 for the whole exhaust including the price of the x2 3" Tips which were $60 ea.)... i say, hell, if they're going to charge me that much, they better do an outstanding job... jeesh. the guy at the muffler shop was saying if he had 'permission' to do something like that, he'd charge me no more than $50... O_o' I'll keep shopping around though until that date comes up (supposed to be Oct 14th)... we'll see...

@benzo23: i already get stares anyway... so just being louder would only boost my ego that much more

@milly: I'm not going for sound loudness necessarily, i'm going for the best performance for the dollar. In this sense, the reduction of backpressure is exactly the aspect i was looking for... to answer your question, yes. I'm still going for the secondary cat delete... i want that 11-15hp back!

**as mentioned before in a previous post... if i get gavin's headers, i'll likely put the secondary cats back on (or move the primaries further back (to pass emissions), i don't want it THAT loud - then i'll definitely get pulled over!

Last edited by N0OS3; 09-28-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #95
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

So many options to go with now idk what to do anymore...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #96
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What are are you trying to achieve?

OR.. you could be the first try out:

1. Resonator Delete (ONLY)
2. Resonator Delete + Secondary Cat Delete (ONLY)

We still have yet to see these setups on a sound clip/video... ^__^
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #97
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What are are you trying to achieve?

OR.. you could be the first try out:

1. Resonator Delete (ONLY)
2. Resonator Delete + Secondary Cat Delete (ONLY)

We still have yet to see these setups on a sound clip/video... ^__^
I want to have something that will have a little gurgle and pop to it without screaming down the street, something with no drone, but something noticable when i romp on it, you know make me want to drive with the windows down more often. I have read that the resonator delete only is a waste. The res delete with second cat delete with stock muffler really intrigues me. From what you have learned less far what piping would you suggest for that? I really wonder what it would sound like.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #98
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I want to have something that will have a little gurgle and pop to it without screaming down the street, something with no drone, but something noticable when i romp on it, you know make me want to drive with the windows down more often. I have read that the resonator delete only is a waste. The res delete with second cat delete with stock muffler really intrigues me. From what you have learned less far what piping would you suggest for that? I really wonder what it would sound like.
If you want to NOT have drone, keep the muffler on... plain and simple.

There's only one kind of piping you should use... stainless steel to prevent rust... commonly used is 6-8gage warm rolled.
As for size/diameter of piping... try to stay uniform as much as you can without going DOWN in size as you get further to the tip(s). Doing this creates unexpected backpressure and could vary your results... The Cat and Rez delete is probably what you're going for over all...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #99
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you want to NOT have drone, keep the muffler on... plain and simple.

There's only one kind of piping you should use... stainless steel to prevent rust... commonly used is 6-8gage warm rolled.
As for size/diameter of piping... try to stay uniform as much as you can without going DOWN in size as you get further to the tip(s). Doing this creates unexpected backpressure and could vary your results... The Cat and Rez delete is probably what you're going for over all...
I think so to and would prob see some gains with the 2nds being gone too...im just nervous to do it without hearing someone else's setup first, id hate for it to sound like total shit haha, so basically just keep the same size diameter piping too
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #100
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

a good, experienced, muffler shop wont cost much. even testing out different setups... usually what they can do is cut out what you want to get cut out, and temporarily put in straight pipes and throw heat-proof tape over it to see how you think it sounds... if you like, then they'll weld it on... if you don't, they'll try other setups you might like using the same method... this typically doesn't run up the labor bill, be sure to negotiate this before hand...

My suggestion though, OVER ALL... is to REPLACE your muffler with a smaller, performance muffler. as mentioned above, that thing is a massive 65lbs and there's a weight reduction to be gained from it... but that's just my opinion... this is on top of whatever else you were planning on doing to the exhaust... having a good lightweight muffler will still eliminate the drone(ish) sound...

whatever you decide, be sure to record a video anyway! We'd all like to see the outcome! ^__^
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #101
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

damn once you cut your secondaries out it'll be pretty damn loud lol. I've seen the inside of the secondary cats before and they are very restrictive so you should get a little gain there but damn with the res and muff gone already its gonna be louddd.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #102
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I have the same thing with my muffler delete. Around 4500 rpm the engine noise starts to take over.

I got my suspension installed today and me and friend that works at the shop was looking at the exhaust stuff...

He mentioned taking out a cat or resonator, I said wow I was actually just about to do that lol.

Hopefully it's not too loud, I'll post a video once it's done but I'm still debating on resonator or cat delete lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #103
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the same thing with my muffler delete. Around 4500 rpm the engine noise starts to take over.

I got my suspension installed today and me and friend that works at the shop was looking at the exhaust stuff...

He mentioned taking out a cat or resonator, I said wow I was actually just about to do that lol.

Hopefully it's not too loud, I'll post a video once it's done but I'm still debating on resonator or cat delete lol.
funny how great minds think alike, huh?

How's the new springs look? got pics?

Last edited by N0OS3; 09-28-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #104
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Yep!

I got a few but it was dark out so you can't really see.. I'll get some more tomorrow afternoon and post up!

Gotta get An alignment and then that will be done haha, Next is tips and the cat delete... Can't wait, I feel exactly how I did before I got muffler delete.

Scared it'll sound like shit after it's done. Haha. Hopefully it turns out good like the MD, I liked it
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #105
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep!

I got a few but it was dark out so you can't really see.. I'll get some more tomorrow afternoon and post up!

Gotta get An alignment and then that will be done haha, Next is tips and the cat delete... Can't wait, I feel exactly how I did before I got muffler delete.

Scared it'll sound like shit after it's done. Haha. Hopefully it turns out good like the MD, I liked it
There's a sound to be fooled by... 1. the video... it sounds a lot more muscle(y) in person. 2. It's a REALLY low tone when you're inside the car itself, you might think you sound like a ricer, but it's not that way at all... just so you know... ^__^ I think the sec. cat delete will do WONDERS to it overall
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #106
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
There's a sound to be fooled by... 1. the video... it sounds a lot more muscle(y) in person. 2. It's a REALLY low tone when you're inside the car itself, you might think you sound like a ricer, but it's not that way at all... just so you know... ^__^ I think the sec. cat delete will do WONDERS to it overall
When do you plan on doing the cat delete? I havent really planned a time yet to go but it will happen!

If you do it before me, post a vid i want to hear the difference from your first one!

heres a pic of car:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #107
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^__^ pretty!

I should be set up for October 17th to get my cats removed... i'll for sure post vids.. if i had the extra cash laying around i'd get a dyno run first and see HOW MUCH hp the cats are restricting
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #108
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Thanks! Gotta get an alignment now though lol it's all messed up.

I think I'm getting mine done the 14th so I'll post a vid! I wish I had the money to Dino as well, I'm curious to the actual gain
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #109
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I actually might be getting it done today! I'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #110
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually might be getting it done today! I'll keep you guys updated
That would be sick, do before and after videos too if you can
Appreciate 0