E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Anyone been charged wheel-lock nuts by dealer on car?

09-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Anyone been charged wheel-lock nuts by dealer on car?

Just curious. Dealer says its standard...i don't think so! $89.50
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Auto Pilot
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

I'm pretty sure I was not charged, it was never discussed when I bought the car and they didn't try to slip it on to the invoice, would have said something.

I figured that since I didn't ask for them I wouldn't get them, but they were on the car when I picked it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

I think most try and slip it in there. Its only $100 but they are REALLY annoying. When was the last time anyone had their wheels stolen? Thats what insurance is for . I've had new BBS on my last 4 cars and never had them stolen.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
When I got my car I saw that in the invoice, I was going to complain but in the end it wasn't much of a big deal. Esp I haggled with some discount, didn't want to come out too greedy
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

client advisors sneak it in, and they take it off if people complain since it's not worth upsetting the client over a small amount.

if half the clients let it go, then it's money in their pockets... however small
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I purchased my E90 back in 2006 and was fortunate to have car mats (both spring and winter), lock nuts and key chain thrown in for me. I would complain if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
kirasir
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I signed for a new e90 2 weeks ago and the original invoice had the $100 charge + tax for the wheel nuts. I told the Financial Service Manager to stick his "nuts" where the sun don't shine. The look he gave me was along the lines of "you just spent $50,000 on a car and you are arguing over 100 bucks for locking nuts!?"....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
dpw198
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I got charged for it as well. They also added $300 for the Globali vehicle registry. I should have walked away, but then I felt I got a good deal on the car. I tend not to be very good at negotiating.
2014 Porsche Boxter S
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirasir View Post
I signed for a new e90 2 weeks ago and the original invoice had the $100 charge + tax for the wheel nuts. I told the Financial Service Manager to stick his "nuts" where the sun don't shine. The look he gave me was along the lines of "you just spent $50,000 on a car and you are arguing over 100 bucks for locking nuts!?"....
Its not the $100 , its the nuts. The key usually gets lost or misplaced. Always some sort of fu$# up.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep
Drives: its fast

Are you kidding me? are you all that poverty stricken to complain for something as little as a set of wheel locks? even if you were sucessfull on getting them to take them off....you still have to go source a set after you buy the car. I'm sure your time is worth more than that. the dealer is doing you a favour by putting them on.

How about the gas they charged you for before you took delivery?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkone View Post
Are you kidding me? are you all that poverty stricken to complain for something as little as a set of wheel locks? even if you were sucessfull on getting them to take them off....you still have to go source a set after you buy the car. I'm sure your time is worth more than that. the dealer is doing you a favour by putting them on.

Why?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
kirasir
Rep

Quote:
First of all, no dealer is going to go and physically take the locks off a car that already has them on. The wheel lock charge is not much different from the typical BS 499 admin fee., it's just a money grab. They already charge 1200 bucks for the PDI, why pay more for BMW wheel locks that should come as a standard equipment on 50k car from the factory anyway.

BTW they don't work very well either, so driving with or without them has the same amount of risk. If someone wants your wheels really bad, they will already have the proper wheel lock keys for your car, or just use a readily available generic wheel lock remover to take the locking bolts off.

In the end it's a matter of principal. If you think that dealer is doing you a favour by putting the locks on, you are greatly mistaken. They are a business, and they are in business of making money of you. If wheel locks is an OPTION when you buy a car, why is it then every dealership tries to force it on you?! I have yet to hear a single salesperson at a BMW dealership asking me - "Would you like to buy wheel locks with you car?". Instead it goes directly on the invoice along with a bunch of other crap.

I would rather spend $100 on something more useful that I would really need or enjoy than to give this money freely to a dealer.

just my $0.02

Quote:
That's a different can of worms. Should PDI include the gas in the tank?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirasir View Post
First of all, no dealer is going to go and physically take the locks off a car that already has them on. The wheel lock charge is not much different from the typical BS 499 admin fee., it's just a money grab. They already charge 1200 bucks for the PDI, why pay more for BMW wheel locks that should come as a standard equipment on 50k car from the factory anyway.

BTW they don't work very well either, so driving with or without them has the same amount of risk. If someone wants your wheels really bad, they will already have the proper wheel lock keys for your car, or just use a readily available generic wheel lock remover to take the locking bolts off.

In the end it's a matter of principal. If you think that dealer is doing you a favour by putting the locks on, you are greatly mistaken. They are a business, and they are in business of making money of you. If wheel locks is an OPTION when you buy a car, why is it then every dealership tries to force it on you?! I have yet to hear a single salesperson at a BMW dealership asking me - "Would you like to buy wheel locks with you car?". Instead it goes directly on the invoice along with a bunch of other crap.

I would rather spend $100 on something more useful that I would really need or enjoy than to give this money freely to a dealer.

just my $0.02

That's a different can of worms. Should PDI include the gas in the tank?
Pretty sure the dealer installs them during PDI. I doubt they come from the factory already installed. Do the math boys...if a dealer sells 500 cars and makes $60 per car thats $30,000 just like that. I'm sure that would pay someones wage. They arent stupid as most of you think.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Going to throw in my 2 cents too.

Never been charged for wheel locks. If anything, they come standard with the wheels. Call most dealerships, even Toyota and Honda. Most cars with alloy wheels now come with wheel locks (if not all).

In all honesty though, wheel locks are a "feel good" item. There are so many ways around wheel locks. They could use mechanical methods (e.g. power tools) or simply buy the set of locks. I'd pay BMW $89.50 if they put a different wheel lock on each bolt. That's right, if someone wants to steal your wheels, they'd have to drill every single lock before they can get the wheel off. If they want my wheels, they'd be prepared to work for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Just curious. Dealer says its standard...i don't think so! $89.50
when i got my car I was given lock nuts, plush floor mats, front and rear a full cleaning pack, a "3" BMW key ring full tank of fuel, Autobhan tax paid, all as a thank you for buying from them. I think they call it customer relations.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Going to throw in my 2 cents too.

Never been charged for wheel locks. If anything, they come standard with the wheels. Call most dealerships, even Toyota and Honda. Most cars with alloy wheels now come with wheel locks (if not all).

In all honesty though, wheel locks are a "feel good" item. There are so many ways around wheel locks. They could use mechanical methods (e.g. power tools) or simply buy the set of locks. I'd pay BMW $89.50 if they put a different wheel lock on each bolt. That's right, if someone wants to steal your wheels, they'd have to drill every single lock before they can get the wheel off. If they want my wheels, they'd be prepared to work for it!
Have fun at change over time...or on the side of the highway at 1am.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:

its not a matter of being 'poverty stricken'..DUH!. It's the principle! The last 2 bmw's I leased I was not charged for them and included in my car....so why should I pay now? Its part of my upfront costs. More money in my pocket. I saw a $300 etching fee on the quote too...I didn't pay for that before also so why now?
If you take a look at 10 different invoices from 10 different purchases from posters on here, not all of them will be the same.
You can keep paying that stuff...I won't.

Last edited by bubbahead; 09-30-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^ Yup! Maranello is the worst in hidden fees.

Last I heard, Maranello charges:
Admin fee $599
Nitrogen Air $65
Etching $399
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
^ Yup! Maranello is the worst in hidden fees.

Last I heard, Maranello charges:
Admin fee $599
Nitrogen Air $65
Etching $399
Wtf is Nitrogen Air and Etching?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Nitrogen air = fill tires with nitrogen instead of regular air. It's supposed to keep it's pressure longer and give you better mileage. In my opinion, I think it's a bit of a gimmick since the air is 78% nitrogen already...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
kirasir
Rep

I like to compare Nitrogen in the tires to the stickers on the hood that are supposed to add 5HP.

It's a completely idiotic marketing gimmick, and some shops get away charging money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Nitrogen air = fill tires with nitrogen instead of regular air. It's supposed to keep it's pressure longer and give you better mileage. In my opinion, I think it's a bit of a gimmick since the air is 78% nitrogen already...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Even Costco charges $60+ for nitrogen air as well.
Appreciate 0