E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > adjusting the headlights

10-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

adjusting the headlights

My headlights are pointing too high. Possible for me to calibrate them myself? or should i bring it into the shop?

If DIY, how can one do it? i did not find anything via a quick search and i don't have the manual on me

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
I see you have an e92.

Right beside that little box that opens for the angels to the back end of that box you will find a little screw covered by a plastic piece that kinda sticks out (horrible description I know)

You can turn that piece to manually adjust them a bit.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I see you have an e92.

Right beside that little box that opens for the angels to the back end of that box you will find a little screw covered by a plastic piece that kinda sticks out (horrible description I know)

You can turn that piece to manually adjust them a bit.
I imagine the part is common for E92..I had the same problem. I adjusted it the piece Dr.G was talk about.

Link here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=1
      10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

thanks. is there any form of measuring or calibration to help me adjust to correct specification?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Hey I actually wasn't refering to the sensor near the control arm, I was refering to this.

When you turn this it will adjust he height of the beam. Just park near a wall at night turn on your xenons aimed at the well then turn this little screw and adjust to your liking.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

cool, thanks for the pic!
but how do i know how much to adjust? There's got to be some area of operation right?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
cool, thanks for the pic!
but how do i know how much to adjust? There's got to be some area of operation right?
I just adjusted mine by eye... I kept my drivers beam a bit lower just to not blind oncoming traffic. From driving around I noticed I needed to raise them a bit so I raised them and had a buddy drive infront of me and make sure I don't blind him and he said they were ok.

The proper way is something like parking 25 feet away from a wall and your beam should hit the wall at a certain height in comparison to the height of your headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Hey I actually wasn't refering to the sensor near the control arm, I was refering to this.

When you turn this it will adjust he height of the beam. Just park near a wall at night turn on your xenons aimed at the well then turn this little screw and adjust to your liking.
Is it really that one? Because in a similar discussion thread, they mentioned that same knob near the headlight, but it was quickly dismissed.

I wonder if it's different for headlight changes resulting from suspension changes vs. non suspension component problems.
      10-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Hey Bunn, the link you posted is for the auto levelling sensor which can get misaligned by suspension work if a mechanic doesn't know what he's doing. This is USUALLY the route cause and best way to fix headlight height/aiming after suspension work.

The little screw at the top is for some manual adjustment for just fine tuning things the way you like, I've put my car up against a wall and watched the beams move as I turned them to my prefered height, just give it a quick try at home.

This is what I have learned from my experience and may possibly be inaccurate, but as far as I know this is how it's worked out for me.
Appreciate 0