E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Reducing -camber on lowered E92?

11-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

Reducing -camber on lowered E92?

My E92 335i is lowered on KW V2's. My rear summer tires showed A LOT of camber wear. I took the car to a shop today to get an alignment today and got bad news. In addition to one of my front outer tie rods being biffed (thanks Columbus roads!) my rear camber adjustment bolts were already maxed out! The closest the rear will get to 0* is -2*. Is there an after market component I can install to keep from destroying $800+ worth of tires a year? And it wasn't toe wear. My rear toe was pretty good. Also, my rear KW spring perches are at their highest setting already. Semi-related, the shop had this pretty damn trick brand new Hunter in-ground laser alignment machine.

Cliffs:
Rear is at -2* camber, won't get closer to 0*
Don't want to ruin (more) tires
Toe in was in good range
Lowered on KW susp with springs set at max height already.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
My E92 335i is lowered on KW V2's. My rear summer tires showed A LOT of camber wear. I took the car to a shop today to get an alignment today and got bad news. In addition to one of my front outer tie rods being biffed (thanks Columbus roads!) my rear camber adjustment bolts were already maxed out! The closest the rear will get to 0* is -2*. Is there an after market component I can install to keep from destroying $800+ worth of tires a year? And it wasn't toe wear. My rear toe was pretty good. Also, my rear KW spring perches are at their highest setting already. Semi-related, the shop had this pretty damn trick brand new Hunter in-ground laser alignment machine.

Cliffs:
Rear is at -2* camber, won't get closer to 0*
Don't want to ruin (more) tires
Toe in was in good range
Lowered on KW susp with springs set at max height already.
If you are already max on height and the vehicle is still too low, you may want to consider raising the vehicle up with heigher static height springs or different height adjusters so you could get less camber in the rear.

Are you not able to get zero because of other limitations(e.g. toe arm limitations) or the accentrics are simply maxed out?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep

The eccentrics are maxed out. I really like the stance. I was hoping there was a way to keep low (not necessarily slammed) and not shred tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Toe is the problem not camber. What are your toe settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Toe is the problem not camber. What are your toe settings?
I don't recall the exact measurement, but I recall the tech commenting that the rear toe was within spec, just that the camber was messed up. The only reason I remember the camber measurements is because both sides were at exactly -2.0*. I found that peculiar.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

factory spec range for rear camber is like -1.8 to -2 iirc, so you aren't very far out of spec actually. negative camber won't wear your tires much at all as long as your toe is set correctly. My old car had -2 degrees front camber for a couple of years and the tires were fine.

But if you have negative camber and your toe is off even a bit, it will eat the insides pretty bad... and also if you do burnouts a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
factory spec range for rear camber is like -1.8 to -2 iirc, so you aren't very far out of spec actually. negative camber won't wear your tires much at all as long as your toe is set correctly. My old car had -2 degrees front camber for a couple of years and the tires were fine.

But if you have negative camber and your toe is off even a bit, it will eat the insides pretty bad... and also if you do burnouts a lot
I'll grab a tire gauge and check if the wear is even here in a few thousand miles. Hopefully the alignment helped.
Appreciate 0