E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealer vist for oil change turned bad :(

01-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Dealer vist for oil change turned bad :(

So I take my car in to the dealer for a normal oil change. My service advisor knows everything about my car and so does my tech that works on it. So im waiting on it since oil changes dont take that long. Stayed for about an hour and my tech came up to me and said man the machine didnt stop and it accidentaly put 14 quarts of oil in the car. He said I realized it and did not start the car but basically had to drain all the oil back out and put the right amount in. So I kinda started to freak out but calmed down since the car didnt get started with that much oil in it. Now, Im wondering where all the extra 7 quarts of oil went? I understand it didnt damage the actual motor since it wasnt started but that much extra oil had to go somewhere right? So Im curious at what your thoughts are on this particular incident. The car feels somewhat the same but I can notice a difference. Im still under full factory warranty but the only thing that I can think of is the oil going thru the diverter valves into the charge pipe and into the intercooler. Correct me if Im wrong because its going back to the shop tomorrow morning to get everyting checked out. If theres anything else that you all might know so I can tell my advisor to look for or check or clean. I just want my car running right and my tech which is one of my buddies said he is probably going to have to clean the diverter vavles, charge pipe, and replace the intercooler. Is there anything else that the oil could have gone or damaged? I figure this would be the best place for resources
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Wow these techs being hired by BMW these days are pretty dumb. There use to be some honor and respect when people say they work at BMW service. Now any Tom, dick and Harry can get a job.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
So I take my car in to the dealer for a normal oil change. My service advisor knows everything about my car and so does my tech that works on it. So im waiting on it since oil changes dont take that long. Stayed for about an hour and my tech came up to me and said man the machine didnt stop and it accidentaly put 14 quarts of oil in the car. He said I realized it and did not start the car but basically had to drain all the oil back out and put the right amount in. So I kinda started to freak out but calmed down since the car didnt get started with that much oil in it. Now, Im wondering where all the extra 7 quarts of oil went? I understand it didnt damage the actual motor since it wasnt started but that much extra oil had to go somewhere right? So Im curious at what your thoughts are on this particular incident. The car feels somewhat the same but I can notice a difference. Im still under full factory warranty but the only thing that I can think of is the oil going thru the diverter valves into the charge pipe and into the intercooler. Correct me if Im wrong because its going back to the shop tomorrow morning to get everyting checked out. If theres anything else that you all might know so I can tell my advisor to look for or check or clean. I just want my car running right and my tech which is one of my buddies said he is probably going to have to clean the diverter vavles, charge pipe, and replace the intercooler. Is there anything else that the oil could have gone or damaged? I figure this would be the best place for resources
It all went into the engine/oil pan theoretically where the other normal 7 quarts goes. It shouldnt be a problem unless it was started.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwn23 View Post
Wow these techs being hired by BMW these days are pretty dumb. There use to be some honor and respect when people say they work at BMW service. Now any Tom, dick and Harry can get a job.
+1. I dont really care for my local dealership techs either
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

As long as the engine wasnt running it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
It all went into the engine/oil pan theoretically where the other normal 7 quarts goes. It shouldnt be a problem unless it was started.
on the money. I would say that you are feeling a difference because it is in your head that something must be wrong. The extra oil just filled up in the crankcase and as stated is absolutely no problem unless the car was started. So, just drive and stop over thinking it. As a former mechanic, I can tell you that stuff like this happens more than you think. Most times the mechanic says nothing, fixes the problem which he caused and all is good again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
on the money. I would say that you are feeling a difference because it is in your head that something must be wrong. The extra oil just filled up in the crankcase and as stated is absolutely no problem unless the car was started. So, just drive and stop over thinking it. As a former mechanic, I can tell you that stuff like this happens more than you think. Most times the mechanic says nothing, fixes the problem which he caused and all is good again.
Yep. I worked at a dealer for 4 years and there is a laundry list of things that go on that the customer doesnt know about. Over filling is not really an issue. I think the bigger issue is when a mechanic forgets to put any oil in, or even better forgets to put the drain plug in, adds oil, and drives away leaving a trail of oil.... then by the time he gets to the parking spot the motor seized LOL

It's also worth mentioning its not the mechanics fault sometimes as those oil pumps tend to fail. Some of them have the ability to set the amount of quarts and auto stop but they do fail.

In defense, we are only human.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Well guys I really appreciate the comments from all of you. It definently makes me feel a lot better about the whole situation. It probably is in my head why it feels different just because " I knew what happened". Appreciate the advice! I knew I would get some closure after hearing what you guys would say.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

There should be no issue if the car wasn't started...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
pwrdbynel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I did the same thing to my wife's car when it had 30k miles on it. Fixed it before starting the engine. She now has 80k miles on it not a single issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Despite the mistake, I'm actually glad to see that the tech / SA was very open with you and told you straight up rather than lie or make up some crap about it.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Ya he is actually very upfront with me considering they know how Iam with my cars. I have known them for a very long time and have an outstanding relationship with them which Iam thankful for. Your right, most dealers wouldnt say anthing to you and send you down your way now that I think about it. Good to know I have a very good service advisor and tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input. It definently put things in perspective and gives me a big relief. This is why I love this forum because you get so much PROPER feedback from people that know what they are talking about
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
reiss91
Rep
Drives: tacoma

Had a customer with a broke. Oil level sensor once. Every time the car shut off and was restarted it asked for a quart of oil. Sure enough she put one in every time lol

After draining all the oil out we measured about 15 quarts which is over twice the amount it normally takes. She drove around with that much oil for over 500 miles and there wasn't a thing wrong with that car. No oil leaks or performance problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
ashleymarie0792
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

lol i hope you got something free from bmw.. like a detail or something i woulda been so pissed even if they did fuck it up..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
ashleymarie0792
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
Had a customer with a broke. Oil level sensor once. Every time the car shut off and was restarted it asked for a quart of oil. Sure enough she put one in every time lol

After draining all the oil out we measured about 15 quarts which is over twice the amount it normally takes. She drove around with that much oil for over 500 miles and there wasn't a thing wrong with that car. No oil leaks or performance problems.

just added weight
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
dsm25psi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I, IS300, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post

yeap, same thing happened here. Customer came in saying that his car was telling him low oil, so put more oil in there everytime. When he brought back there was twice more oil in the car, lol. bad sensor.
evo's sold
335i sold
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
ziominix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe

Exactly why there should be a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Like everybody else mentioned nothing to worry about as the car wasn't started. It all drained to the oil pan and out when they drained it. I am actually surprised they told you as its such a simple fix on their end. Just drain it again and refill. 5-10min extra.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
335iJWC
~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 335i-M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziominix
Exactly why there should be a dipstick.
+ 1000 there is nothing like the peace of mind you get with a dip stick.

I like the electronics but give me a simple dip stick 2
      03-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Yep. I worked at a dealer for 4 years and there is a laundry list of things that go on that the customer doesnt know about. Over filling is not really an issue. I think the bigger issue is when a mechanic forgets to put any oil in, or even better forgets to put the drain plug in, adds oil, and drives away leaving a trail of oil.... then by the time he gets to the parking spot the motor seized LOL

It's also worth mentioning its not the mechanics fault sometimes as those oil pumps tend to fail. Some of them have the ability to set the amount of quarts and auto stop but they do fail.

In defense, we are only human.
Reminds me of when I took my Mercedes 190E for an oil change back in the day. After the change I got on the freeway and the engine/hood started smoking, thick clouds of smoke. I pull over, pop the hood and realize those guys forgot to put the oil cap back on. Luckily it was just sitting there on top of the engine bay. Waited a few minutes for everything to cool down a bit, poped the cap back and and gave those guys an earful! Good times...
Appreciate 0