E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo 335i on Inside Line!

04-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #67
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Well, 60-130 can be manipulated by slope though. If comparison 60-130 results are done on a 0 slope, sure I would agree with you, but how often do we see that?
yes, but there is simply no way you can argue that a 1/4 mile run is a better indicator of power than 60-130 if monitored correctly.
      04-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #68
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
yes, but there is simply no way you can argue that a 1/4 mile run is a better indicator of power than 60-130 if monitored correctly.
Right, like I said, if the 60-130 comparisons are done on a 0 slope it's a great barometer of power output. But if one guy does a 9.5 on a 0 slope, and another guy does 8.4 on a 2.8% slope, how can we compare? That was my point really.
      04-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #69
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Well, 60-130 can be manipulated by slope though. If comparison 60-130 results are done on a 0 slope, sure I would agree with you, but how often do we see that?
I assume IL does their 1/4 testing on the same "track". So if they were to do 60-130 testing (which they don't and we're talking totally hypothetically) then I would assume they would use the same 60-130 "track" every time to keep it consistent.

either way there are far less variables. With 60-130 at least you can see exactly what that slope is vs. all the random variables (driver skill, traction issues, etc) with 1/4 comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #70
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: XM

Does any one know, if shiv wants to chime in too that would be great.. if they are running the stock fuel pump? stock rear end? lsd? stock tranny? stock axels?
07 Single Turbo 335i(one of the first, sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #71
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflatau View Post
Does any one know, if shiv wants to chime in too that would be great.. if they are running the stock fuel pump? stock rear end? lsd? stock tranny? stock axels?
There are about 8 threads on this, but LSD, 3.46 rear, upgrades axles, a fuel mod which they are keeping to themselves for the time being. Stock tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #72
Redbmwm33
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m9

Very modest results. I am sure with time this single turbo will have promising results.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #73
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
There are about 8 threads on this, but LSD, 3.46 rear, upgrades axles, a fuel mod which they are keeping to themselves for the time being. Stock tranny.
thank you.
07 Single Turbo 335i(one of the first, sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #74
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Why are you interested in power?

Personally, I'm interested in quick acceleration rather than power as the main objective. Also, I'm interested in all the numbers, 60-130 as well as 1/4. If you are interested just in power, go and dyno your car. If you are interested in quick acceleration, power does not give you a full and correct picture. As an example, traction is a major factor that should not be forgotten if anyone is interested in acceleration. 60-130 is one measure of acceleration and as such rather interesting for me along with 1/4. However, I'm not interested in it for trying to derive power out of it.

Power is nothing without control. You should be interested in traction.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #75
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

I'm not a nuclear scientist or anything, but I'm fairly certain there is one very good reason car magazines don't do 60-130mph runs...

Most cars just can't get to 130 miles per hour. Either they just don't have enough grunt, or they have electronic speed limiters.

Imagine how that would look in a comparison test:
60-130 times.
2007 BMW 335i: 10 seconds
2007 Toyota Corolla: 23 hours and counting...

Obviously, they would never compare these two cars, but I think my point is made
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #76
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post

Personally, I'm interested in quick acceleration rather than power as the main objective. Also, I'm interested in all the numbers, 60-130 as well as 1/4. If you are interested just in power, go and dyno your car. If you are interested in quick acceleration, power does not give you a full and correct picture. As an example, traction is a major factor that should not be forgotten if anyone is interested in acceleration. 60-130 is one measure of acceleration and as such rather interesting for me along with 1/4. However, I'm not interested in it for trying to derive power out of it.

ok, traction has a ton more to do with your suspension and tire setup as well as the driver than anything. yes that is massively important as well.

we are not discussing Shiv's suspension setup, or maybe we are?
      04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #77
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
- copy/paste... "They might need to hire someone new to weld the headers. Those collectors and flanges look like something I did back in University when I welded our team's exhaust together (after 1/2 an hour of TIG welding training). Pretty ghetto."

I'm not sure how much I'd trust the transfer case to last more than one launch....
AR Design or HPF Prolly posted that lol
      04-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #78
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post

This car has an Achilles heal with traction.

Independent suspension, and not enough tire out back (width wise).

You ever see what size tire a Mustang has with a solid rear axle making nearly 650WHP with good traction, we arent even close

Hell even a stock Vette comes with larger tires stock then we can fit on aftermarket.

It will be interesting to see what suspension tweaks have done to the improvement of overall traction, there is always room for improvement but you can only go so far with limited tire and a suspension setup (stock) not intended for straight line traction.

This might not be the perfect platform for this power, but I'm sure its fun eitherway.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #79
blackshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335i Coupe

Nicely said Jeff!
JB4/MHD, Stage 2 lpf,3.5 tmap, AFE DCI AND SCOOPS, ETS 7" Intercooler, AR Catted Downpipes, MMP Inlets,CP-E Exhaust, Carbon FIber CSL Style Trunk lid, M3 Side Skirts, Mtech front lip spoiler, Mtech rear bumper w/carbon diffuser and Alloy Technic 19" matte black rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #80
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
This car has an Achilles heal with traction.

Independent suspension, and not enough tire out back (width wise).

You ever see what size tire a Mustang has with a solid rear axle making nearly 650WHP with good traction, we arent even close

Hell even a stock Vette comes with larger tires stock then we can fit on aftermarket.

It will be interesting to see what suspension tweaks have done to the improvement of overall traction, there is always room for improvement but you can only go so far with limited tire and a suspension setup (stock) not intended for straight line traction.

This might not be the perfect platform for this power, but I'm sure its fun eitherway.
With 650whp, I think we will always be traction limited up to (and sometimes in) 3rd gear. That's just a fact of life with a mega powered RWD car. This can be mostly resolved by driving on Pilot Sport Cup (semi-R compound street tire) or drag radials assuming a good suspension. But what's the point? Crazies like me think wheelspin is fun since it makes you actually drive the car. Unless you have enough power on tap to spin the tires on the straights between corners, you're just steering the car, not driving it. Some of the most rewarding skills to learn when running a big power rwd car is being able to control power with your right foot, not by giving the car unlimited mechanical grip.

That's my idea of power with control. It comes from the nut behind the steering wheel. Not from stuff you can buy in catalog. The stuff you buy can just make the DRIVER'S job a little easier by reducing unwanted suspension movement, retaining tire contact patch better and by damping the spring properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #81
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
With 650whp, I think we will always be traction limited up to (and sometimes in) 3rd gear. That's just a fact of life with a mega powered RWD car. This can be mostly resolved by driving on Pilot Sport Cup (semi-R compound street tire) or drag radials assuming a good suspension. But what's the point? Crazies like me think wheelspin is fun since it makes you actually drive the car. Unless you have enough power on tap to spin the tires on the straights between corners, you're just steering the car, not driving it. Some of the most rewarding skills to learn when running a big power rwd car is being able to control power with your right foot, not by giving the car unlimited mechanical grip.

That's my idea of power with control. It comes from the nut behind the steering wheel. Not from stuff you can buy in catalog. The stuff you buy can just make the DRIVER'S job a little easier by reducing unwanted suspension movement, retaining tire contact patch better and by damping the spring properly.
As a former 6MT N54 owner I say, to each their own.